PDA

View Full Version : Unarmed Attacks

Elbeyon
2020-10-03, 02:32 AM
Do unarmed attacks counting as melee weapon attacks break something? Sage advice and such seems really against the idea that unarmed attacks are weapon attacks. I have only seen the idea that they are not weapons cause strange issues. Is there some other side to the story that I am not seeing? What is wrong with there only being weapon or spell attacks.

Vorpalchicken
2020-10-03, 02:44 AM
They are "weapon attacks" but not "attacks with a weapon."

JackPhoenix
2020-10-03, 03:44 AM
Unarmed attacks are, and always were, melee weapon attack. What an unarmed strike isn't is an actual weapon.

Elbeyon
2020-10-03, 04:13 PM
They are "weapon attacks" but not "attacks with a weapon."

Unarmed attacks are, and always were, melee weapon attack. What an unarmed strike isn't is an actual weapon.Let me shift my question. What is so important about unarmed attacks not being made with weapons.

JackPhoenix
2020-10-03, 04:48 PM
Let me shift my question. What is so important about unarmed attacks not being made with weapons.

Well, that's kinda the definition of unarmed, isn't it?

JNAProductions
2020-10-03, 05:04 PM
I can’t think of anything that it’d break to allow weapon cantrips or smites with unarmed attacks.

I’d allow it in my games, with the usual caveat “If this breaks something, it’ll be changed.”

Edea
2020-10-03, 05:28 PM
Let me shift my question. What is so important about unarmed attacks not being made with weapons.

Nothing. In fact, if you have access to natural weapons (such as a Tabaxi), you can make unarmed strikes with them, despite the fact that you're armed.

rlc
2020-10-03, 06:13 PM
It wouldn't really "break" anything, but it would interact with some things (mostly fighting styles) in weird ways. Like, do you need to be wearing a shield to use the dueling fighting style? Does the bare-fisted fighting style give your hands the versatile property? Etc, etc.

Tanarii
2020-10-03, 06:21 PM
- it matters if something can enchant or make magical a (melee) weapon
- it matters if there is a rule that depends on the opponent not being armed with a (melee) weapon

rlc
2020-10-03, 07:29 PM
my monk has +3 fisticuffs