PDA

View Full Version : The Channeler a psuedo-spellcasting class that uses hit dice as a resource (5e PEACH)

yarrowdeathbloo
2020-10-03, 03:13 PM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1j89ySp2FoffIq-SHn1tstYwr55PYGjHsnXfy86t49jw/edit?usp=drivesdk

sandmote
2020-10-03, 06:57 PM
I think the first thing that needs to be done is a general re-organization of the class. Any specifics should would have to be redone afterward anyway.

First, is Channeling meant to be a supplement to Incantations, or are Incantations like Cantrips while Channeling is your main role as an Channeler?

Second, what is the fluff of the class that could explain what it does in and out of combat.

Third, please order the Incantations alphabetically and make casting costs part of each individual incantation. The former would make that page easier to read while the latter would make it easier to balance them.

yarrowdeathbloo
2020-10-04, 01:33 AM
First, is Channeling meant to be a supplement to Incantations, or are Incantations like Cantrips while Channeling is your main role as an Channeler?

It's meant to be kind of a mix but more leaning towards the supplement side rather than the main ability despite the name.

Second, what is the fluff of the class that could explain what it does in and out of combat.

Flavorwise the is meant to be a more reckless but tougher version of the sorcerer

Third, please order the Incantations alphabetically and make casting costs part of each individual incantation. The former would make that page easier to read while the latter would make it easier to balance them.
The alphabetical request was easy enough but the Channeler doesn't need to spend gold to use any of it's rites unless I messed up on the text of the specific class features that grant them. With the class I am working on that has to spend gold on them has ways to reduce the price so writing it out would only make things more confusing then they need to be.

sandmote
2020-10-04, 09:01 PM
It's meant to be kind of a mix but more leaning towards the supplement side rather than the main ability despite the name. Okay, that explains why the incantations mostly start out as relatively powerful cantrips. However, they don't scale. I would either grant "Extra Emissions" that works like Extra Attack at 5th level, or scale the incantations like cantrips. Otherwise your character would be entirely dependant on the poor scaling of Channeling to keep up.

Freezing Grasp should say how to escape the grapple. Frost Punch is broken on a monk (goes off several times per turn, breaking the action economy). Pulse & Wail have far too large a range for at will abilities, at least for a 1st level character. Other than the three examples above, your Channeler is going to drop behind at 5th level when caster's cantrips deal a second die of damage and martials get Extra Attack.

Classes in 5e typically get similar power increases by level. Or, theoretically they do. The increases at 2nd and 3rd level should give more options, and 5th/6th and 10th/11th levels are also typically spikes in the power curve. You've written an slightly too strong start, and don't really scale up very much. Channeler PCs will be left in the dust.

Flavorwise the is meant to be a more reckless but tougher version of the sorcerer Then I would maybe look at some of the smaller Barbarian features and write up a version that fits the Channeler concept instead.

the Channeler doesn't need to spend gold to use any of it's rites unless I messed up on the text of the specific class features that grant them. I missed it the first time I read through the class. Apologies. Thank you for cleaning up the other page.

Also worth noting on the power curve is that the different paths don't give features all in the same ballpark at each level. At 1st level, a Path of Broken Pact Channeler is probably the strongest character in the game, and I don't think the other paths keep up. Especially since only the Broken Pact provides additional vitality points.

yarrowdeathbloo
2020-10-05, 04:29 PM
Freezing Grasp should say how to escape the grapple.
Would freezing grasp not just use normal grapple rules as written?

Frost Punch is broken on a monk (goes off several times per turn, breaking the action economy).
Forgot about the monk when writing this for some reason. I think changing it to "next unarmed attack" would fix that.

Pulse & Wail have far too large a range for at will abilities, at least for a 1st level character.
This hasn't really caused any issues during play testing so I think it'll be fine.

Other than the three examples above, your Channeler is going to drop behind at 5th level when caster's cantrips deal a second die of damage and martials get Extra Attack.
Much like the last thing this kinda isn't the case when play testing for the vampire the drop off felt by the level 5 gap was diminished a bit after they got their level 6 feature and vanished by the time they hit level 10.
For the traveler this has definitely been the case before level 13 however since up till that point they were just borderline useless outside of a few encounters.
The pact and time subclasses haven't been playtested yet however so I can't speak for them.

Classes in 5e typically get similar power increases by level. Or, theoretically they do. The increases at 2nd and 3rd level should give more options, and 5th/6th and 10th/11th levels are also typically spikes in the power curve. You've written an slightly too strong start, and don't really scale up very much. Channeler PCs will be left in the dust.
As said above this hasn't been noticed during play testing for the most part

Also worth noting on the power curve is that the different paths don't give features all in the same ballpark at each level.
This, however is definitely something I've been trying to fix the big problem sesms to be path of the Traveler is basically borderline useless for a big majority of the game and I'm not sure how to fix it.

1st level, a Path of Broken Pact Channeler is probably the strongest character in the game, and I don't think the other paths keep up.
Looking at it more closely I think the buffs I gave it were too much. I might need to tweak a few things especially at first level.

Especially since only the Broken Pact provides additional vitality points.
I think this might be a wording issue on my end, since I had a player ask me why anyone would pick a subclass that forces them to spend vitality points to use it's main feature.

What it's meant to do is just turn on the invigoration, euphoria, alacrity, and spell resistance features when you cast the spells it grants, I'm not sure how to phrase it better.

sandmote
2020-10-06, 02:49 PM
Would freezing grasp not just use normal grapple rules as written? I suppose, although I don't see why it would make sense to involve a Strength (Athletics) check on your part.

A grappled creature can use its action to escape. To do so, it must succeed on a Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check contested by your Strength (Athletics) check.

This, however is definitely something I've been trying to fix the big problem sesms to be path of the Traveler is basically borderline useless for a big majority of the game and I'm not sure how to fix it. They need a combat ability before 13th level. Off the top of my head:

Transposition
Starting at Nth level, you can teleport creatures a short distance across space. As a bonus action, you can choose one creature within 60 feet and teleport it up to 15 feet to an unoccupied space you can see. An unwilling creature that succeeds on a Dexterity saving throw with a DC of 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier is unaffected.

I think this might be a wording issue on my end, since I had a player ask me why anyone would pick a subclass that forces them to spend vitality points to use it's main feature.

What it's meant to do is just turn on the invigoration, euphoria, alacrity, and spell resistance features when you cast the spells it grants, I'm not sure how to phrase it better. I'll suggest "You gain the benefits of having spent a number of vitality points equal to the level of the spell," or, "You are treated as having spent a number of vitality points equal to the spell's level for the purpose of class features." When I read the feature, I mistook it for granting you bonus vitality points that you spend at time of casting, so it isn't as strong as I thought.

yarrowdeathbloo
2020-10-10, 02:07 AM
I suppose, although I don't see why it would make sense to involve a Strength (Athletics) check on your part.

It's more or less because I imagined it being you're physically grabbing the victim rather than using a magical hand to do it for you.

They need a combat ability before 13th level. Off the top of my head:

Transposition
Starting at Nth level, you can teleport creatures a short distance across space. As a bonus action, you can choose one creature within 60 feet and teleport it up to 15 feet to an unoccupied space you can see. An unwilling creature that succeeds on a Dexterity saving throw with a DC of 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier is unaffected.

Reworded a bit and stolen. What would you like me to credit you as?(I'll leave a note at the end of the document)

I'll suggest "You gain the benefits of having spent a number of vitality points equal to the level of the spell," or, "You are treated as having spent a number of vitality points equal to the spell's level for the purpose of class features." When I read the feature, I mistook it for granting you bonus vitality points that you spend at time of casting, so it isn't as strong as I thought.
I think I came up with a decent fix?