PDA

View Full Version : How fast do figurines of wondrous power heal/regenerate?

eyebreaker7
2020-10-03, 03:45 PM
"If a figurine of wondrous power is broken or destroyed in its statuette form, it is forever ruined. All magic is lost, its power departed. If slain in animal form, the figurine simply reverts to a statuette that can be used again at a later time."

First answer I'm guessing is yes, with the question being can they be healed using spells, potions or other sorts of magic? While in their "alive" state?

Second question is, how fast do they heal on their "own plane"? The Golden Lions say:
"Golden Lions
These figurines come in pairs. They become normal adult male lions. If slain in combat, the lions cannot be brought back from statuette form for one full week. Otherwise, they can be used once per day for up to 1 hour."
So my guess is they fully heal every 24 hours unless killed which then takes them a full week to recover?

Another figurine says:
:The Goat of Traveling: This statuette provides a speedy and enduring mount equal to that of a heavy horse in every way except appearance. The goat can travel for a maximum of one day each week—continuously or in any combination of periods totaling 24 hours. At this point, or when the command word is uttered, it returns to its statuette form for not less than one day before it can again be used."
How do you determine the healing of such a figurine? Does it heal fully every time no matter how many times you call it forth totaling up to 1 hour a day? If so then I could summon it and let it fight, command it back "home" to heal, and then instantly call it forth again at full health?

Another question
"If a figurine of wondrous power is broken or destroyed in its statuette form, it is forever ruined. All magic is lost, its power departed."
Is there some way around this? Maybe a raise dead or resurrection?

Darg
2020-10-03, 06:30 PM
While in form they are both healable with healing spells. In item form you have to repair damage. If in figurine form and the figurine is destroyed, the only way to fix it is with a wish/equivalent.

As for your second question, the wording seems to imply that they are considered full health every time you transform the figurine.

eyebreaker7
2020-10-03, 06:36 PM
As for your second question, the wording seems to imply that they are considered full health every time you transform the figurine.

Yes that's what I mean. Are they just magically healed or do they go along with the same rules as PCs only healing so much each night/day?

Darg
2020-10-03, 09:58 PM
Yes that's what I mean. Are they just magically healed or do they go along with the same rules as PCs only healing so much each night/day?

The logical answer would be that they are fully healed. If you summon an elemental, beat them up to 1 hp, and end the summon the elemental isn't going to be hurt when they return to their plane. The concept is the same for the figurine. It works as a proxy instead of a spell to bring the creature to the material plane. If you want a source for healing the creature over time, Drizzt has a cat figurine that he manages to visit once while it is healing in the other plane. Haven't read the book in nearly 2 decades so I can't tell you which one.

frogglesmash
2020-10-03, 10:09 PM
The logical answer would be that they are fully healed. If you summon an elemental, beat them up to 1 hp, and end the summon the elemental isn't going to be hurt when they return to their plane. The concept is the same for the figurine. It works as a proxy instead of a spell to bring the creature to the material plane. If you want a source for healing the creature over time, Drizzt has a cat figurine that he manages to visit once while it is healing in the other plane. Haven't read the book in nearly 2 decades so I can't tell you which one.

Animate Objects is the spell used to create the figurines, and the item's description says that the figurine "becomes a living creature," so I think it's safe to assume that the figurine isn't summoning anything.

Falontani
2020-10-04, 04:45 AM
There is an utterance that can be used to restore a magic item that is broken. It had some particulars about it, but it kept the magic on it when used. It could even repair used scrolls.

hamishspence
2020-10-04, 06:04 AM
If you want a source for healing the creature over time, Drizzt has a cat figurine that he manages to visit once while it is healing in the other plane. Haven't read the book in nearly 2 decades so I can't tell you which one.

Guenhwyvar is very different from a regular figure though. I think she's summoned in the vicinity of it, rather than the figurine growing to large size and appearing living. Some plot points involve both Guen and the figurine being separate.

A regular figurine is basically just an enlarging, animated object.