PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good custom Weapon of Legacy ritual.

Railak
2020-10-03, 05:08 PM
So I'm working on a character of mine that I've had for a long time. The character is a cleric of a lesser dragon deity that's a custom one made for him a long time ago named Kresnik. The dragon deity is of fire healing and protection.
The reason why the deity was "made" for him is cause many years ago this character helped Kresnik as he was ascending into being a deity. His party and him helped hold off a horde of evil dragons that were sent to kill Kresnik while he was still mortal. After they succeeded he became the high priest of the followers of Kresnik.
I know what you're thinking how would I ever be able to use this character with that sort of background right. Well this character has also been cursed with never ending reincarnation. His soul will never go to the after life, and every time he does he is reborn again, and lives life anew from baby.
Kresnik learned about this from the other deities and took it upon himself to send his followers out each time to find the young version of him who has no memories of his past life. They have their ways of doing it. They learned a ritual from an old wizard, that can unlock his general memories, so he can remember main people and major events that have taken place over all his lives.
I've ran him several times but have had problems with the question of why would he always have to start completely anew with his gear aside from balance reasons, and he'd basically be exchanging them for new better ones too..
So I had the thought of making him gain the same maul and armor every time, and having them something that increases in power as he does. The best thing I've come across for doing that is the Weapons of Legacy book.

They are obviously custom ones not ones that are already built in the book. I've already okayed this with every DM in our group, they just want to see the weapon and armor when they are finished. Basically making sure I don't make too easy of rituals, etc.

And that actually brings me to the entire reason I am even writing this, I knew if I just asked "looking for ideas for a greater ritual for a custom item of legacy" you'd all want back story so I went ahead and wrote it all out. So I have all the rituals for the armor, and I have the least and lesser for the weapon.

The first ritual for both of them is undergoing ( or having undergone) the ritual to regain his memories, and 1500 gp for each the weapon and armor
The second ritual, called Honor Thy Enemy, for the weapon is defeating an evil dragon, burning it's body and performing the rite of passage to send it's soul to the afterlife. For the armor is a completely different thing, but it's called Honor Thy Friend.
The greater ritual for the armor is called Oath of the Protector, basically he has to take part in a large scale combat where he is on the defending side.
I'm trying to think of something to do with "Oath of" for the greater ritual of the weapon, but I can't even think of a decent idea for it.

Cruiser1
2020-10-04, 01:07 AM
I'm trying to think of something to do with "Oath of" for the greater ritual of the weapon, but I can't even think of a decent idea for it.
Your character starts by regaining his memories, then proceeds to demonstrate his abilities in defeating evil dragons, and protecting allies. But abilities are neither good nor bad, it's what you do with them that counts!

It seems like the final ritual should be an Oath of the High Priest, to prove he's actually worthy of acting as the High Priest of Kresnik once again. That should be something clerical, such as being able to cast higher level Cleric spells, and/or gaining new worshippers for Kresnik.

Railak
2020-10-04, 10:50 AM
That's actually something I didn't even consider. This is why I post these questions here. I'm not entirely sure about that exactly, but it definitely is something to consider. It's better than anything I've come up with. But is there any other suggestions?

Silly Name
2020-10-04, 11:42 AM
So, you're the Avatar? ;)

But, seriously, the concept is cool and some equivalent in fictional works, so let's see if there's anything interesting to pluck from the Avatar series.

Aang is the Avatar, Master of all Four Elements, and like your character he's the last in a long line of reincarnations, but has no automatic knowledge of his past lives, having to access them through meditation and rituals. He has the potential to be extremely powerful, but he has to learn everything from scratch.

So, what events does Aang undergo to unlock his full abilities? Apart from regular training, he meets Guru Pathik and at his urging goes in a deep meditative trance and has to face his own limitations, doubts and attachments in an attempt to unlock all his chakras, although he fails. An intense "fight at the center of the mind" scenario between your character and some representations of his inner demons, failures of past lives and the like could be a cool way to fluff one of the rituals.

Honoring Thy Friends could mean a great act of self-sacrifice, similar to the risk he had originally undertook in order to protect his patron. Doesn't have to be an epic battle, but he does have to risk life and limb for a friend.

The final ritual should, ideally, be a reenactment of the greatest accomplishment of the original character, or perhaps an action that exemplifies his god's teachings and morals. What would you say was the original's most heroic deed? What does Kresnik value the most?
You could even rename it "Oath of the Hero", or "Renewed Oath" to symbolise that it's the confirmation that this new life is as virtuous as the original.