PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help me understand Maneuvers and Multiclassing

Vault756
2020-10-03, 08:29 PM
I'm thinking about playing a Master of Nine as my next class but I'm confused as to how the maneuver system works when you multi-class. Non initiator classes can learn maneuvers right? Through taking feats and stuff. How do you determine how those classes ready their maneuvers? Also the prestige classes can learn and ready maneuvers as part of the class. Like a lvl 5 Master of Nine would know 8 maneuvers and have 5 readied. But how do I recall these maneuvers after I've used them? Are maneuvers known like a "total pool" kind of thing? Where I know all the maneuvers I know and then I just ready some based on each class I am that can ready maneuvers. Could I mix and match then? Like if I learned a maneuver as Swordsage could I ready it as Warblade if it's a maneuver that Warblade could learn?

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-10-03, 10:14 PM
I'm thinking about playing a Master of Nine as my next class but I'm confused as to how the maneuver system works when you multi-class. Non initiator classes can learn maneuvers right? Through taking feats and stuff. How do you determine how those classes ready their maneuvers?

If you don't have any initiator classes and you get a maneuver (probably through the Martial Study feat), it starts readied at the beginning of every encounter, but once it's used it can't be recovered during that encounter. If you have an initiating class (or more than one), IIRC you get to decide which one gets the new maneuver as an extra known maneuver.

Also the prestige classes can learn and ready maneuvers as part of the class. Like a lvl 5 Master of Nine would know 8 maneuvers and have 5 readied. But how do I recall these maneuvers after I've used them? Are maneuvers known like a "total pool" kind of thing? Where I know all the maneuvers I know and then I just ready some based on each class I am that can ready maneuvers. Could I mix and match then? Like if I learned a maneuver as Swordsage could I ready it as Warblade if it's a maneuver that Warblade could learn?

Similar to the above, every time you learn a new maneuver, you assign it to one of your initiating classes. It becomes a maneuver for that class, and you recover it the same way you recover other maneuvers for that class (e.g. making a standard action attack or full-attack as a Warblade). Taking prestige classes (or feats) lets you get maneuvers you normally couldn't for a class. You can spread your new maneuvers known out, or concentrate them all into one class (this is the basis of the "Idiot Crusader" trick).