PDA

View Full Version : Help with creating a Investigator/ Alchemist

Orpheus108
2020-10-04, 01:38 AM
Greetings All,

Starting a new game with lvl 6 chacters. Our group sat down and started making our characters and the setting is similar to that of the show Merlin and arcane magic is outlawed and punishable by death. None of us have access to divine magic, making it interesting.

I finally came up with wanting to play an Investigator/Alchemist. Im looking at using my mutagen and going down the beastmorph archetype as a werewolf style. Im looking at the beastmorph as a secret from the common folk of the campaign as its seen as 'witchcraft'

Im after help in making the InvestigatorAlchemist as ive never played either of them. What abilities go well and so forth.

Thanks ahead for the info

Psyren
2020-10-04, 02:23 PM
Can you clarify what you mean by "Investigator/Alchemist?" Are you trying to take levels in both classes? That's generally a bad idea because your class features from both sides will be weaker than if you had simply chosen one to go with.

If your goal is to be a more physical/melee attacker (commonly called "Hyde" by optimization circles) - both Investigator and Alchemist can do this well. Alchemist has more support mostly because it's been around longer if that helps.

Orpheus108
2020-10-04, 06:33 PM
Its both classes, so i may drop the alchemist lvl and concentrate on the investigator.

TerrickTerran
2020-10-04, 07:36 PM
Amusingly with the right archetypes, they make a fun gestalt combination. I'd also suggest just picking one of them.

Orpheus108
2020-10-04, 10:55 PM
Ill go Investigator, as much as i love the Alchemist, ill try playing an Investigator with a Mr Hyde aspect to him.

The only thing is our 6th lvl has to be an arcane caster. So what goes well with Investigator? I was thinking Arcanist or Spiritualist

Psyren
2020-10-05, 06:44 PM
Ill go Investigator, as much as i love the Alchemist, ill try playing an Investigator with a Mr Hyde aspect to him.

The only thing is our 6th lvl has to be an arcane caster. So what goes well with Investigator? I was thinking Arcanist or Spiritualist

You have to randomly dip an arcane spellcaster you mean? Wouldn't that be punishable by death in this setting?

Orpheus108
2020-10-06, 12:55 AM
Only if we get caught using magic, so the party has all our 6th lvl as a 1st lvl arcane caster of some description.

In the end i went 5 lvls of investigator 1 warlock

Psyren
2020-10-06, 11:25 AM
Eh still seems odd to me. I would just dip something and never use it, making the restriction meaningless except as a vestigial dilution to my build.

A couple of other great dips include Diviner 1 for the amazing Forewarned power, or Witch 1 for a familiar
and an infinite-use Hex like Fortune or Evil Eye (you will need Extra Hex + Cackle to get the most out of that one.)

If shapeshifting/natural attacks are your goal, I would go Alchemist rather than Investigator, it has a lot more support for that style.