PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Earliest access to Plane Shift (or other planar travel)?

crystal_entity
2020-10-04, 04:10 AM
I'm thinking of a planar campaign, and I was wondering what's the lowest level a character can access planar travel abilities where the user sets the destination (so not abilities to find and analyse Portals, as you have no control over the destination of a Portal). I think all the magic items which provide this ability (e.g. Cubic Gate etc) are unlikely to be available to low level characters.

Plane Shift is a level 5 Cleric spell, so available at level 9, and Planar Travel is a level 5 power (according to Ultimate Psionics) so similarly available to a level 9 psion. The only way I can see of getting access to planar travel earlier is a Nomad 5, who gets the level 3 power Astral Caravan - but that's only useful if the party all have Astral Traveller manifested on them (which seems impractical as it's got a manifesting time of one hour and only affects one target per manifestation).

I'm looking for Pathfinder rather than 3.5e, but I'm open to material from third-party supplements, if there are any. Is there anything "better" than the above I'm missing? Thanks!

Kurald Galain
2020-10-04, 05:54 AM
There's a 4th-level Wizard spell "Anywhere But Here" which shifts you (and your party) to a random plane. You could conceivably cast it repeatedly until you end up where you want to be.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-10-04, 08:46 AM
The Transdimensional Power feat from C.Psi allows any power you manifest to cross dimensional barriers to target any other plane that is attached to the one you're on in some fashion, even extradimensional and nondimensional spaces. So just manifest a 1st level teleportation power (or a 0 level, if you have one), and you can cross dimensional barriers whenever you want, teleporting to the other plane. It costs your psionic focus but no extra power points, so you can do this at level 1. Add to Dimension hop, a 1st level teleportation power from C.Psi, and you can travel the planes in style like a cheapskate.

Firest Kathon
2020-10-05, 02:29 AM
The Transdimensional Power feat from C.Psi
That would be 3.5, the post is tagged with Pathfinder.

allows any power you manifest to cross dimensional barriers to target any other plane that is attached to the one you're on in some fashion, even extradimensional and nondimensional spaces. So just manifest a 1st level teleportation power (or a 0 level, if you have one), and you can cross dimensional barriers whenever you want, teleporting to the other plane. It costs your psionic focus but no extra power points, so you can do this at level 1. Add to Dimension hop, a 1st level teleportation power from C.Psi, and you can travel the planes in style like a cheapskate.
Thats not how the feat works. It only allows you to target or effect creatures in extradimensional spaces or coterminal planes, but as the the teleportation powers target you, it will not change the effect of the spell. Even if you would argue that the the power targets a location, the feat only mentions effects on creatures, not objects or locations.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-10-05, 10:55 AM
That would be 3.5, the post is tagged with Pathfinder.

Thats not how the feat works. It only allows you to target or effect creatures in extradimensional spaces or coterminal planes, but as the the teleportation powers target you, it will not change the effect of the spell. Even if you would argue that the the power targets a location, the feat only mentions effects on creatures, not objects or locations.Then use dimension swap. It's one level higher, but there's no argument that it can't work.

Although it does allow you to use AoE powers, and those don't target anything but a point in space, which dimension hop also does. I guess you could always use a modified Ocular Spell and a lens of ray widening to do so, although that requires additional resources.