PDA

View Full Version : How would you build a vampire melle?

Flik9999
2020-10-04, 07:12 AM
Hey so I am starting a new game soon.

I learned that you can play a vampire from zendikar. Its not a great race though but I want to make it work.

In regards to class I was thinking blade warlock but unsure if I should go undead patron or hexblade. The ac from hexblade is irrelevant as I will be wearing full plate from the UA invocation.

If I went undead however my str would only be 15. But I would get cool vampire like abilities transform gives fear on a hit. By 5th level I get my weapon damage again to my damage.

I was thinking either greatsword or greataxe for my damage.

The other option I could think of is bladesinger but without access to greatweapon fighter damage seams too low to be worth it.

Zhorn
2020-10-04, 07:58 AM
What are the limits on what you can use in this game?
I'm assuming since you're referencing the Zendikar Vampire by James Wyatt, it'll be pretty broad.

Amechra
2020-10-04, 08:21 AM
If you can, try to play with the Ixalan Vampire instead of the Zendikar Vampire. Their stat boosts are better (+2 Cha/+1 Wis instead of +2 Cha/+1 Int), and they get a fun little self-buff whenever they use Bloodthirst (instead of making Nulls).

+10ft speed and Advantage on Strength and Dexterity checks for a minute after draining someone is pretty minor, but it's effectively free, so...

Flik9999
2020-10-04, 09:56 AM
Everything except homebrew is allowed. Its not an optimized group but it does have stuff such as a dwarf barbarian so I wanna try something different and not fall to far behind.

is a 15 main stat going to hold me back much. I dont want to fall back on being an eldritch blast spammer as thats not very interesting. Cutting someone up with a sword is more RP fun.

If it can be accessed easily for free its ok. But rare stuff such as obscure stuff in dragon magazine probably wouldn’t be ok. Hes a new DM.

NecessaryWeevil
2020-10-04, 10:05 AM
DPS isn't the only role for a Blade singer though. Ours is a pretty effective tank. Also, you're a Wizard.

Wraith
2020-10-05, 04:05 AM
A decent class that makes some - if not entirely optimised - use of the Vampire race, would you consider Paladin as an alternative to Bladelock?

The +2CHA is pretty handy, you get the Heavy Armour you wanted, access to martial weapons and appropriate Fighting Styles, Smite scales pretty well for extra damage, and Lay On hands is always going to keep you relevant in a clutch situation.

Pick up Oath of Conquest, and you're approaching a theme not dissimilar from the scary Undead Patron. Similarly you get Athletics as a class-skill, so you're not horrible at grappling if you decide you need to chow down on someone.

If you're sure that you want Warlock though, then Hexblade is certainly the most melee-orientated. The Undead Patron has it's good points, but for day-to-day use it's really hard to turn down medium armour/shield and a buffed weapon - you don't even NEED to take Eldritch Blast, if you prefer to concentrate on Hexblade's Curse/Booming Blade/etc.