PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Any way to get Monk's slow-fall ability without being a monk?

Draconi Redfir
2020-10-04, 10:10 AM
So yes i know, the easiest methods of doing this are most likely just getting a ring or other item of fether-falling and re-flavoring it to look like the monk's slow-fall, or asking the DM if i can attempt to dig my weapon into the side of a wall to slow my decent on a case-by-case basis.

BUT!

i am not a master of Pathfinder. i do not know every nook and cranny of the rules. and i abide by the simple mantra of "if you don't know something, ask someone else, they might know more then you". So with that in mind,

Is there any way within RAW, outside of taking levels in Monk or other monk-related levels to get either the Monk's Slow-fall ability, or something that is loosely equivalent? Ideally without taking new class levels that might not mesh with whatever I'm building at the time. but i'm open for anything.

i just really like the mental image of my character falling off a cliff or something and just digging their hand or weapon into the cliffside to slow themselves down and reduce the damage they take. if i can make this mechanically viable and possible by RAW without needing to blow three to four levels in Monk, then hey, bonus!

Psyren
2020-10-04, 02:14 PM
You mean something like the Slow Faller (https://aonprd.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Slow%20Faller) feat? All you need is 5 ranks in Acrobatics.

(Incidentally, this is the perfect example of a feat that I think should just be a skill usage or skill unlock.)

Draconi Redfir
2020-10-04, 02:43 PM
that certainly works!

ah, dang. doesn't allow for heavy armor though, a lot of my current character ideas have heavy armor.

still, it's something. thanks!

Darg
2020-10-04, 04:29 PM
that certainly works!

ah, dang. doesn't allow for heavy armor though, a lot of my current character ideas have heavy armor.

still, it's something. thanks!

Mithral heavy armor is counted as medium armor.

Particle_Man
2020-10-04, 05:51 PM
Also, three levels of wizard, learn feather fall and still spell?

Draconi Redfir
2020-10-04, 05:57 PM
Mithral heavy armor is counted as medium armor.

yeah i know that much. for at least two of em though i was hoping for adamantine heavy armor :P

might be something i need to talk to my DM about maybe, whenever it happens.

Arutema
2020-10-04, 10:33 PM
Also, three levels of wizard, learn feather fall and still spell?

You don't even need still spell, Feather Fall is verbal only.

Draconi Redfir
2020-10-04, 11:10 PM
think just getting a ring and re-flavoring it is the best option overall, unless i can work out some kinda homebrew with this hypothetical dm. Not quite the same, but oh well, was worth a shot.

Kurald Galain
2020-10-05, 01:58 AM
There's also cushioned armor (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-armor/magic-armor-and-shield-special-abilities/cushioned/).

Psyren
2020-10-05, 08:47 AM
If you're dead set on slow falling while wearing heavy armor you'll need magic. Monkish abilities usually require light or no armor.

Gorthawar
2020-10-05, 09:55 AM
Boots of landing (MIC) reduce fall damage by 20ft for 500g.
The roof walker feat (CityScape) does the same when you succeed on a jump check when jumping down intentionally. The prerequisites are terrible but you can get it through the roof-dweller alternative class feature of the barbarian at level 1. Downside is that you lose fast movement and therefore can't take the lion totem / pounce.

Particle_Man
2020-10-05, 06:59 PM
You don't even need still spell, Feather Fall is verbal only.

Good point! Sorcerer 1 or Wizard 1 should do it. Sorcerer 1 probably is better because you have feather fall when you need it and still have other options so you don't have to prepare feather fall and lose other options.

CharonsHelper
2020-10-05, 07:09 PM
Good point! Sorcerer 1 or Wizard 1 should do it. Sorcerer 1 probably is better because you have feather fall when you need it and still have other options so you don't have to prepare feather fall and lose other options.

Or Magus 1, Bard 1, Bloodrager 4, or Cleric 1 with the void domain. The first two work in light armor, third in medium, and the last in heavy armor.

Draconi Redfir
2020-10-05, 07:57 PM
Boots of landing (MIC) reduce fall damage by 20ft for 500g.

unfortionately looks like those are D&D only, not pathfinder.

DID find though the Boots of the cat (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/a-b/boots-of-the-cat/), which are only 1000gp and give you the minimum possible damage while landing on your feet.

might be the option i go for. relatively cheap, gets the feel I'm going for, and doesn't require a feat or a level to get.

Crake
2020-10-05, 08:07 PM
You can get the bind vestige feat and bind ronove for permanent, self-induced featherfall.

Ronove is basically the "I'm a binder, but also a monk" vestige.

Arutema
2020-10-06, 01:54 AM
Or Magus 1, Bard 1, Bloodrager 4, or Cleric 1 with the void domain. The first two work in light armor, third in medium, and the last in heavy armor.

Armor doesn't matter for feather fall anyway, as ASF applies only to spells with somatic components, and feather fall doesn't have any.

Firest Kathon
2020-10-06, 04:55 AM
Or Witch 1 with the flight hex (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch/hexes/hexes/common-hexes/hex-flight-su/).

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-10-06, 05:14 AM
This is 3.5, but the Dragon Magazine gives us the Broadwing Saurian Shifters. It's one of the weaker options, but it does give you slow fall (and Saurian Shifters get an additional trait, so you can still have claws or wings or something).

Instead of that, I'd recommend going with the Swiftwing trait to give yourself a fly speed while shifting, and then taking the Reactive Shifting feat to be able to shift as an immediate action, even when surprised. That'll let you sprout wings in response to falling. Both of these are from Races of Eberron, not Dragon Magazine, if that makes them more appealing (though they can still be taken by Saurian Shifters).