PDA

View Full Version : Warcaster opportunity spell + Hold Monster + Hound of Ill Omen

Crucius
2020-10-04, 10:20 AM
A while ago I posted a thread with a shadow sorcerer combo, and I finally get to play the character soon. However another issue has come up on which I don't really know how the rules work.

Pretty basic; summon hound next to enemy -> walk over to enemy -> cast dissonant whispers -> target has disadvantage on the save -> should they fail the save they have to run, triggering a warcaster booming blade opportunity attack (or other spell) and an opportunity attack from the hound.

In this case the warcaster opportunity spell is not Booming Blade but Hold Monster, and I choose to go first on the opportunity attack, not the hound. When the target fails the save:

Does the Hound of Ill Omen still get to make their opportunity attack, since the target now has 0 movement?
Where does the target end its movement at the end of all this? Did it ever leave the adjacent square? So is it within 5 feet of me, or within 10 feet at the end?

I feel as if the trigger has already occurred for the hound, therefore it can still make its opportunity attack (therefore critting and knocking the target prone), and the target never leaves the square since opportunity attacks happen just before it leaves that area. (but then, if it never left the area to begin with, there cannot be an opportunity attack right aaaahhh panic)