PDA

View Full Version : Request for Beastman information.

Tempest Fennac
2007-11-02, 10:20 AM
Does anyone know where I can find any indepth information regarding Beastmen? The only information I can find is at http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/view_c.php?CreatureID=467 and http://www.enworld.org/archive/index.php/t-4711.html . I know the Complete Book of Humanoids which they were mentioned in is out of print (I'm interested in their recial features and culture as well as what they look like).

Leon
2007-11-02, 08:10 PM
Ibixian or "Goatmen" are in MM3, dont know if thats what your after but i think of them when i think of beastmen

MrNexx
2007-11-02, 09:43 PM
Beastmen are somewhat like medium-short (about 5', but human proportioned), hairy humanoids with two layers of fur; an olive-drab over-layer and a darker under-layer. Their language consists of, in addition to sounds, complex shifts of these, which they also use for camouflage patterns. They could hide in forests 90% of the time, imposed a -6 on surprise, and had a non-suppressible 80% magic resistance. They didn't believe in magic, and were incapable of using any of it, except magical weapons and armor (and then only their mundane functions).

If I were going to stat them in 3.x, I'd say they'd be Humanoids, Medium Size, with a 30' move, +4 to Hide (+8 in Forests or Jungles), +2 Natural Armor, with 16+CL SR, which they can't bring down. Their stats would be +2 Dex, -2 Chr (which is what they had in 2e; you might go +4/-4, but I think that's too much). Personally, even with the SR, I'd be inclined to keep them at LA+0, since they can't lower it at will. Favored class should be ranger, maybe barbarian.

Tempest Fennac
2007-11-03, 03:05 AM
Thanks for telling me. Why would not being able to supress spell resistance be a problem, and would they be able to use magic with your 3rd Edition update?

Jasdoif
2007-11-03, 03:18 AM
Why would not being able to supress spell resistance be a problemIt'd be rather irritating if you'd like to receive a beneficial spell from someone else. If the spell allows SR and isn't marked harmless, and your character level matches the caster level, that's a 75% chance of failure because your SR.

RAW, if its SR is marked harmless you're out of luck, as it's specifically mentioned that you have to voluntarily lower your spell resistance to be affected by such a spell.

Tempest Fennac
2007-11-03, 03:28 AM
Thanks for telling me (I don't play D&D so I didn't realise, but I thought I'd ask because I'm trying to find a group).

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-03, 10:28 AM
Yes, yes, all well and good. But where can we find stats for Gunmen?

*crickets chirp*

MrNexx
2007-11-03, 04:38 PM
Thanks for telling me. Why would not being able to supress spell resistance be a problem, and would they be able to use magic with your 3rd Edition update?

I'd say they can't use magic, still, simply because they remain immune to it. One of the reasons Drow and others with spell resistance are so nasty is because, on average, spells cast by a same-level spellcaster at them will fail, but they can choose to be affected by things like healing spells or magical buffs. These guys can't. If you're improving the strength of the entire party, they're stuck with what they have. If you're hasting people, he's still stuck on slow.

Tempest Fennac
2007-11-04, 04:18 AM
Thanks for explaining (that fact that they could block healing spells sound like it would be a real problem if you were playing as one unless you could find them a Ring of Regeneration to help with healing them).

MrNexx
2007-11-04, 05:18 AM
Thanks for explaining (that fact that they could block healing spells sound like it would be a real problem if you were playing as one unless you could find them a Ring of Regeneration to help with healing them).

You missed the part where they can't use magic items, either, didn't you? The only magic items they can use are magic weapons, and then only insofar as they can use it as a weapon... they can't, for example, use a frost brand's ability to negate magical fires (if that still exists in 3e; don't feel like looking it up), or make a wish off a luck blade. They just have a magic sword.

Tempest Fennac
2007-11-04, 08:03 AM
Sorry about missing that part (admittedly, I didn't know if you were keeping that part of the original version in your 3rd Edition update).

Jasdoif
2007-11-04, 03:02 PM
You missed the part where they can't use magic items, either, didn't you? The only magic items they can use are magic weapons, and then only insofar as they can use it as a weapon... they can't, for example, use a frost brand's ability to negate magical fires (if that still exists in 3e; don't feel like looking it up), or make a wish off a luck blade. They just have a magic sword.The frost brand extinguishes nonmagical fires, and can dispel non-instantaneous fire spells (though it has to make a dispel check to do so).

Anyway, these guys sound like VoP material, since they couldn't benefit from the vast majority of magic items even if they wanted to.

MrNexx
2007-11-04, 04:36 PM
The frost brand extinguishes nonmagical fires, and can dispel non-instantaneous fire spells (though it has to make a dispel check to do so).

Anyway, these guys sound like VoP material, since they couldn't benefit from the vast majority of magic items even if they wanted to.

In 3.x, maybe, though their society doesn't really work in a way that VoP would make sense.

And, of course, aren't VoP stuff Supernatural effects? Which they don't believe in, and tend to ignore?

Jasdoif
2007-11-04, 11:24 PM
In 3.x, maybe, though their society doesn't really work in a way that VoP would make sense.

And, of course, aren't VoP stuff Supernatural effects? Which they don't believe in, and tend to ignore?Fair enough, I suppose it would require some sort of culture shock/transplant...possible for a member outside their native culture, though.

And a good deal of VoP's effects are marked as Extraordinary.

Gralamin
2007-11-04, 11:43 PM
So these Guys are like the Karsite from Tome of Magic, except far far worse with magic?

MrNexx
2007-11-04, 11:46 PM
And a good deal of VoP's effects are marked as Extraordinary.

That's silly. I mean, I understand why, but it's silly that the abilities granted by a magical oath not to use weapons would be on par with having a good sense of smell.

Jasdoif
2007-11-04, 11:57 PM
That's silly. I mean, I understand why, but it's silly that the abilities granted by a magical oath not to use weapons would be on par with having a good sense of smell.What's really silly is that a vow to forsake material possessions eventually removes your need to breathe...and that's an extraordinary effect.

MrNexx
2007-11-05, 12:30 AM
What's really silly is that a vow to forsake material possessions eventually removes your need to breathe...and that's an extraordinary effect.

"I need the things of this world so little I'm even giving you your oxygen back... but don't you DARE touch my modesty loincloth!"