PDA

View Full Version : DMPC Experience, and help.

Crow
2007-11-02, 10:43 AM
Ok, let me just get it out of the way. I am currently playing a DMPC. It was by request of the players, so sue me.

Since they insisted, I decided i would make her a wizard focused on buffing. I banned evocation and necromancy so I could get access to some more transmutation spells. It seems that there were some good tranmutation buffs at low levels.

Anyways, the DMPC wiz has survived much longer than I anticipated, and is getting access to higher level spells now. Just hit access to level 4 spells. Is it just me, or once the levels start getting higher, does it seem like spells that are good for buffing others become more scarce? Are there any 4th and up spells in the Necro and Evocation schools that my party is missing out on.

A lot of the higher level spells seem to only benefit the wizard. (Unless you count annihilating the party's opponents beneficial, which some would claim it is, but which as the DM I don't)

Also, the wizard is only allowed to use core (my stipulation to myself to try and reign her in), while the players can use whatever they want. What party buffs are available from 4th level spells and up?

(sorry for the convoluted nature of this post, I tried to clean it up, but I am really, really tired right now...maybe later)

imperialspectre
2007-11-02, 10:59 AM
4th level: Greater Invisibility, Mass Enlarge Person, extended Haste

5th level: Teleport (gives the whole party massively more mobility), Telepathic Bond, Shadow Evocation (for Wind Wall and things like that), Animal Growth (for animal companions), Permanency

6th level: Antimagic Field (for fighters and scouts moving ahead of you), Globe of Invulnerability (it affects people close to you), Greater Heroism, the Mass (Increase Attribute) spells, Stone to Flesh (just in case)

7th level: MMM (now your party can rest, recover and eat in safety), Plane Shift (more mobility), Greater Teleport, Limited Wish (you use this to help out with divine spells or for general utility as necessary)

8th level: Mind Blank, Greater Shadow Evocation (for any evocation spells you might need)

Yeah, the selection gets a little skimpy at really high levels, but by then your job should be the "kill things brutally fast to avoid TPKs and generally retcon your mistakes as a DM." As someone who splits time evenly between playing and DMing, I can say that having an easy way to cancel or prevent my mistakes "in-game" would make my life a lot easier. :)

Saph
2007-11-02, 11:01 AM
Anyways, the DMPC wiz has survived much longer than I anticipated, and is getting access to higher level spells now. Just hit access to level 4 spells. Is it just me, or once the levels start getting higher, does it seem like spells that are good for buffing others become more scarce? Are there any 4th and up spells in the Necro and Evocation schools that my party is missing out on?

You're right, good higher-level buffs do get harder to find. There are plenty if you go outside core, but inside core . . . not so much.

Necromancy and Evocation don't have any really nice core-only other-person buffs from levels 4 and up that I can think of off the top of my head (though I'm sure someone'll correct me).

Also, the wizard is only allowed to use core (my stipulation to myself to try and reign her in), while the players can use whatever they want. What party buffs are available from 4th level spells and up?

Greater Magic Weapon - 3rd-level spell, but only gets good from level 8 onwards.

Greater Invisibility - obvious.

Stoneskin - expensive, but keeps PCs alive.

Secure Shelter - kind of a buff, keeps the party safe when they rest.

Teleport/Dimension Door - again, kind of a buff, keeps people alive.

No point looking for stuff over 5th-level, I'm guessing, unless you give out XP really really fast. You could also just keep casting haste and extended haste every battle, and I doubt the PCs will complain.

- Saph

VerdugoExplode
2007-11-02, 11:30 AM
Well, the war weaver from heroes of battle isn't core, but it fits your character perfectly. You don't get any crazy world altering abilities to crush your opponents. You do, however, get the ability to buff everyone in your party simultaneously while only using one casting of the spell. Although they would have to all be in touch range you could give everyone invisibility with only one casting.

Just so you know.

Irreverent Fool
2007-11-02, 11:59 AM
Ugh. We had to go up against a warweaver and a party of NPCs in my last game (ECL 15ish). They make a party nasty if they get a few rounds.

As far as using those higher-level spell slots for buffs, there are always metamagic feats. Speaking of feats, your wizard could take potionmaking. While they aren't healing, never underestimate the usefulness of potions of false life.

Shisumo
2007-11-02, 12:09 PM
While they aren't healing, never underestimate the usefulness of potions of false life.
They aren't healing, but they are necromancy, so I wouldn't expect them to be coming from this particular caster...

Toliudar
2007-11-02, 12:13 PM
You might also consider the Secure Shelter/Faithful Hound/Magnificent Mansion family of spells as a way of helping to ensure your PC's have quiet and safe down-time. Saves them having to prep spells or worry as much about keeping watch.

Of course, casting polymorph on an ally can be a tremendous buff...and lets them hog the spotlight in the new form.

Divinations like scrying will let your DMPC act as the senses of the group, but under the PC's guidance and suggestions.

Until your wiz is high enough to teleport the whole group, I'd suggest not memorizing dimension door/teleports - you're inevitably splitting the group in some way. Maybe have one in the spell books, but not usually memorized - that way, it's available for special cases...

valadil
2007-11-02, 12:18 PM
There's nothing wrong with a DMPC that has been invited to join the party. It's really more of a hireling than an actual DMPC. The sort of DMPC that irritates players is the one that is just there to show off the DM's playing abilities. They frequently get all the cool loot and do little more than frustrate the players.

Keep in mind that you also don't have to limit yourself to buffs to keep this guy from dominating combat. There are tons of non combat utility spells that don't see much use but are occasionally invaluable. Give him illusions, prying eyes, scrying, control weather, etc.

Crow
2007-11-02, 03:26 PM
Well, the wizard already picked up Brew Potion, and that was a big hit. I am in a sort of quandry because she is also dirt poor. The group gets most of the good loot, leaving her with the kickdowns. I have a few scrolls of Knock, and a few healing potions (for some reason the group doesn't like them, so I keep them and play medic afterwards if needed).

For my spell selection, I am feeling a bit like a Sorcerer with limited spell selection, in that I get my spells on level up, and then whatever comes up in random treasure (which the group prefers, random). I have decided on Dimension Door as a way to get my fighter-types into postion for full-attacks quickly, and was thinking of Polymorph to help out the party Bard (who likes to mix it up), and wizard (for when he gets trapped in melee, as that has been happening a lot). Yes, we have a second wizard. He is a blaster (and loves it!). I am thinking Greater Invisibility would be the better way to go though.

Thank you for all the help so far, by the way.

Also, is there a reason that you can't make potions out of spells higher than 3rd level. Scrolls are nice, but the players prefer the potions. (I mean really like them. I have no idea why.)