PDA

View Full Version : any weapon that can look like a humanoid?

newguydude1
2020-10-05, 07:21 AM
all the animate object/weapon stuff specifically targets a weapon. people on the playground says "improvised weapons are not weapons and cannot be targeted by spells that target weapon".

so are there any "weapons" that can look like a humanoid and can walk and smash stuff with its hands when animated?

all i got is a club that looks like a figurine. is that good enough? though from all the pictures of clubs ive seen, this humanoid is going to be really lanky and skinny.

Crake
2020-10-05, 07:57 AM
Uhh, animate object's target line mentions nothing about weapons. You can animate whatever objects you like with that spell.

Albions_Angel
2020-10-05, 08:19 AM
A Monk. This message was too short.

newguydude1
2020-10-05, 08:46 AM
Uhh, animate object's target line mentions nothing about weapons. You can animate whatever objects you like with that spell.

animate weapon from complete mage.
artificer's personal weapon augmentation with the flying augmentation.

they require a weapon target.

Telonius
2020-10-05, 10:21 AM
A Monk. This message was too short.

Edited to remove the color, since that's actually important. Your DM would have to rule whether or not a Medium- or a Small-sized ally would count as an appropriately sized weapon. You're probably also going to be eating the non-proficiency penalty, unless you have something crazy like a Drunken Master. But wielding an inappropriately-sized Monk would give you penalties as well.

daremetoidareyo
2020-10-05, 04:45 PM
Armor spikes

Thurbane
2020-10-05, 04:54 PM
So, if I understand the OP, you're looking for a way to utilise weapon enhancements on a weapon that is humanoid shaped and attacking as an animate object?

Dispel Magic + PAO could make the weapon humanoid shaped, as could a Shaper of Form, but I'm not sure it would still be a legal target for Animate Weapon?

The only natively humanoid-shaped inanimate weapon I can think of is a statue(tte), but as you say, that would be an improvised weapon.

newguydude1
2020-10-05, 04:57 PM
Armor spikes

Armor Spikes

You can have spikes added to your armor, which allow you to deal extra piercing damage (see Table: Weapons) on a successful grapple attack. The spikes count as a martial weapon. If you are not proficient with them, you take a -4 penalty on grapple checks when you try to use them. You can also make a regular melee attack (or off-hand attack) with the spikes, and they count as a light weapon in this case. (You can’t also make an attack with armor spikes if you have already made an attack with another off-hand weapon, and vice versa.)

An enhancement bonus to a suit of armor does not improve the spikes’ effectiveness, but the spikes can be made into magic weapons in their own right.

so how does this interact with animate weapon. would only the spikes move? would the whole armor move? is it treated as a medium creature? or a tiny one cause its treated as a light weapon?

So, if I understand the OP, you're looking for a way to utilise weapon enhancements on a weapon that is humanoid shaped and attacking as an animate object?

Dispel Magic + PAO could make the weapon humanoid shaped, as could a Shaper of Form, but I'm not sure it would still be a legal target for Animate Weapon?

The only natively humanoid-shaped inanimate weapon I can think of is a statue(tte), but as you say, that would be an improvised weapon.

no. i want a humanoid robot from casting animate weapon. not a hopping sword.

daremetoidareyo
2020-10-05, 08:28 PM
What an animated weapons strength score? Cuz it's carrying around the armor. Or it's using the armor non proficiently

newguydude1
2020-10-06, 02:04 AM
What an animated weapons strength score? Cuz it's carrying around the armor. Or it's using the armor non proficiently

same stats as an animated object of its size, except it uses its weapon damage instead of the slam damage.

Albions_Angel
2020-10-06, 05:51 AM
Edited to remove the color, since that's actually important. Your DM would have to rule whether or not a Medium- or a Small-sized ally would count as an appropriately sized weapon. You're probably also going to be eating the non-proficiency penalty, unless you have something crazy like a Drunken Master. But wielding an inappropriately-sized Monk would give you penalties as well.

So a Monk/Drunken Master could wield another monk. There are gloves and such that allow you to hold things of different sizes. I think this could work!

On a more serious note, a halfling. No, seriously. There are feats for throwing halflings. As weapons.

Necroticplague
2020-10-06, 06:01 AM

Based on CWar's improvised weapon rules, your average Medium character is a weapon appropriate to be swung two-handed by a Large character.

Asmotherion
2020-10-06, 07:19 AM
It practically depends on your DM and how much he's willing to turn his setting into an Anime.

But, RAW, yeap, it can be done. We once had a Necromancer and his Pet Siege Weapon (Practically a Haunting Shift-ed Ghoul if I remember correctly).

So, if you were to, say, do the same for an Armor with Armor Spikes (or just make it Animated), it's RAW.

And, if you gave said armor the ability to cast, Disguise Self for example, you could have it casually appear as a party member.

newguydude1
2020-10-06, 07:24 AM
So, if you were to, say, do the same for an Armor with Armor Spikes (or just make it Animated), it's RAW.

im pretty sure the rules treat the armor and the spikes as separate entities. spikes receive no bonus from armor enhancements, and armor receive no bonus from weapon enhancements on the spikes.

Asmotherion
2020-10-06, 07:28 AM
im pretty sure the rules treat the armor and the spikes as separate entities. spikes receive no bonus from armor enhancements, and armor receive no bonus from weapon enhancements on the spikes.

Sure, but that's benefical to you. You can enhance the spikes as you would a normal melee weapon, and put the animated property on the armor.

Since the Spikes are technically worn by the armor, they are also disguised (in case that was your concearn).

Telonius
2020-10-06, 09:24 AM
So a Monk/Drunken Master could wield another monk. There are gloves and such that allow you to hold things of different sizes. I think this could work!

There is one possible downside though:

When a drunken master rolls a natural 1 on an attack roll while using an improvised weapon, that weapon breaks apart and becomes useless.

Again, DM call as to whether this will have any effect on a typical Monk; he might rule that the effect overlaps with Monk levels.

ShurikVch
2020-10-06, 09:29 AM
About the "statue as improvised weapon" and "cannot be targeted by spells that target weapon": Alchemical Gold, Alchemical Platinum, and Kaorti Resin special materials are changing the weapon from whatever category it previously was to Exotic Weapon; so, wouldn't a statue constructed from one of those be Exotic Weapon too, and thus - legal for "spells that target weapon"?

daremetoidareyo
2020-10-06, 11:50 AM
If you swing a halfling monk by the legs as a weapon, can they ready their action to punch the opponent too?

Prime32
2020-10-07, 03:38 PM
If your DM allows an animated object to wear fleshshifter armorBoVD (maybe crafted as barding) then it can alter self itself into a more humanoid form.