PDA

View Full Version : This can't be right, can it?

Arkhios
2020-10-05, 08:18 AM
I'm in a situation that I have the following options at my disposal:

My character knows Tenser's Transformation, Dweomer of Transference, and Contingency, as well as Psionic Dimension Door and Psionic Contingency. (obviously he knows quite a bit of other powers and spells as well, but these five are the most important to my question).

Have I got this right? Can I (and I probably will, if I can) set both Contingency and Psionic Contingency to activate from the same condition (Let's say it's "When I draw my greatsword").
Contingency spell's companion spell would be Dweomer of Transference, and Psionic Contingency's companion power would be Psionic Dimension Door.

Can I, in just one round, really do this:

Standard Action: Cast Tenser's Transformation
Move Action: Draw my greatsword (which in turn would activate both of the following, simultaneously?)
Contingency: Dweomer of Transference (to be effectively immune to any spells that would affect me, either alone or as part of an area)
Psionic Contingency: Psionic Dimension Door (teleport myself within 5 feet of an intended target).

On top of that, I'm also a Werebear, so my natural reach is 10 feet in hybrid form (which I would have taken before this)

So, starting from the intended target's next turn, I could basically wreak havoc on them with potential opportunity attacks and follow with full attack on my next turn, assuming the target remains in my reach.

Analytica
2020-10-05, 08:20 AM
"Thunder, thunder, thunder, thunderbears - HOOOOOO!"

Arkhios
2020-10-05, 08:51 AM
"Thunder, thunder, thunder, thunderbears - HOOOOOO!"

Que? /10chars

Kayblis
2020-10-05, 09:28 AM
Yes, this is a pretty tame use of contingencies. You could even set the condition as "when I cast Tenser's Transformation" to save the move action, and/or draw it as a free action with a Least Weapon Crystal(MIC). What you've done is spending two contingencies(usually 20mins of preparation and decent PP/spell slots) to cast a buff and a teleport, and then entered melee range to be whacked for a round until your turn comes up again. A better use of your time would probably be to attack directly in this turn you got 3 spells out, but this is one way to speed up your buff routine a bit.

TheStranger
2020-10-05, 10:13 AM
Yes, this is a pretty tame use of contingencies. You could even set the condition as "when I cast Tenser's Transformation" to save the move action, and/or draw it as a free action with a Least Weapon Crystal(MIC). What you've done is spending two contingencies(usually 20mins of preparation and decent PP/spell slots) to cast a buff and a teleport, and then entered melee range to be whacked for a round until your turn comes up again. A better use of your time would probably be to attack directly in this turn you got 3 spells out, but this is one way to speed up your buff routine a bit.

Yeah, this doesn't seem overwhelming. Burning two contingencies and a 6th level slot (and losing your casting for the duration) in order to do the Barbarian’s job isn’t the best thing a high-ish level caster can do. Not awful, and situationally useful, but far from overpowered. Especially since your target and his friends get to pound on you for a round before you can do anything.

Doctor Awkward
2020-10-05, 10:39 AM
That looks fine. Though I do have a couple of notes:

1. Once Pisonic Dimension Door manifests you are done taking actions until your next turn. This includes making attacks of opportunity or any immediate action abilities you might have.

2. I don't think Dweomer of Transference works the way you think it does...
The text of the spell-- "With this spell, you form a radiating corona around the head of a psionic ally, then convert some of your spells into psionic power points," and, "For each spell you cast into the dweomer of transference, the psionic creature gets temporary power points, according to the following table,"-- implies multiple times that only spells cast by you are harmlessly dissipated into temporary power points. It would take an incredibly selective reading to reach the conclusion that all spells that include the subject are affected, instead of just spells cast by the caster of Transference.

Arkhios
2020-10-05, 10:51 AM
Yeah, this doesn't seem overwhelming. Burning two contingencies and a 6th level slot (and losing your casting for the duration) in order to do the Barbarian’s job isn’t the best thing a high-ish level caster can do. Not awful, and situationally useful, but far from overpowered. Especially since your target and his friends get to pound on you for a round before you can do anything.

One, we don't have a barbarian, only a bard, a cleric, a fighter (a cohort), a rogue, and me.
Two, I have 184 hit points and AC 47 with all my buffs on, making me the sturdiest and toughest nut to crack in our group by far (the rest are at 15th level, while I'm effectively at 21st level thanks to Werebear Lycanthropy.
Three, Tenser's Transformation doesn't prevent manifesting powers.

TheStranger
2020-10-05, 11:16 AM
One, we don't have a barbarian, only a bard, a cleric, a fighter (a cohort), a rogue, and me.
Two, I have 184 hit points and AC 47 with all my buffs on, making me the sturdiest and toughest nut to crack in our group by far (the rest are at 15th level, while I'm effectively at 21st level thanks to Werebear Lycanthropy.

If your role in the party is Gish/primary melee rather than primary caster, the utility increases. It’s still a pretty heavy investment of resources to get into melee range and get pounded on until your next turn, though. Not awful, but not game-breaking either.

Kayblis
2020-10-05, 11:21 AM

If you're running Magic-Psionic Transparency, it should. If you're not, you have no protection against powers from DoT. Also, DoT has special rules for casting any spell at you, it doesn't automatically affect any spell with you in the area. You're still affected by area spells, it's just that someone can choose to effectively cast an area spell or an illegal spell at the Dweomer of Transference effect, for it to be eaten.

But yeah, going melee is hardly a problem, you killed your casting side for a moderate boost to hit and maybe some iteratives. Not broken by any metric, and a valid use of the spells and powers you described. As an extra, if you manifest Vigor at max PP and share it with your Psicrystal(Share Powers feature), you can Share Pain(1hr/lv) with it for double Vigor benefit. This may add another 50~100 HP to your pool if you weren't using it, and you can renew it any time.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-10-05, 11:31 AM
Yeah, no, Dweomer of Transference clearly doesn't affect all spells cast at the target, only those cast by "you" the caster of Dweomer of Transference, and only those deliberately cast into the Dweomer of Transference.

Arkhios
2020-10-05, 12:03 PM
If you're running Magic-Psionic Transparency, it should. If you're not, you have no protection against powers from DoT. Also, DoT has special rules for casting any spell at you, it doesn't automatically affect any spell with you in the area. You're still affected by area spells, it's just that someone can choose to effectively cast an area spell or an illegal spell at the Dweomer of Transference effect, for it to be eaten.

Well, that's how my DM said it would work. Maybe it's not correct, but I asked for his interpretation on both DoT and Tenser's Transformation, especially in regards to Magic-Psionics Transparency (which we are using), and he answered. And I'm not complaining. It hardly matters now, that we're soon about to face BBEG of the campaign and start a new one after. From what I've gathered, it's pretty insane and potentially TPK stuff, so the more I can give it back at 'em, the merrier.

That said, I guess I could just as well accompany Contingency with Enlarge Person instead of DoT. And I could accompany Psionic Contingency with Power Resistance, which isn't bad option either. Might even be safer bet and further avoid fiddly shenanigans.

Besides, this combo is more of a last ditch effort for me. I have more than enough fire power in energy AoE's and such, that I might not even have to use TT.

TheStranger
2020-10-05, 12:13 PM
Yeah, no, Dweomer of Transference clearly doesn't affect all spells cast at the target, only those cast by "you" the caster of Dweomer of Transference, and only those deliberately cast into the Dweomer of Transference.

Unfortunately, it’s not as clear as it should be. In the spell description, it says “For the duration of the spell, any spells cast at the subject don’t have their usual effect, instead converting themselves harmlessly into psionic energy that the subject can use as energy for psionic powers.” Everywhere else in the description it refers to spells “you” cast, but it’s omitted in the sentence that makes the target immune to the spells’ normal effect. So there’s a RAW argument that you’re immune to at least targeted spells.

OTOH, if you’re at that level of rules-lawyering, your GM could counter that “targeting” isn’t the same as “cast at,” the latter being a special type of casting allowed by this spell and the former being what your enemies normally do to you.

Reading the spell as a whole, I’d agree that RAI is pretty clearly that it only applies to spells “you” cast. I’d rule that way as a GM, because otherwise total spell immunity out of 4th level slot is bonkers. As a player, I probably wouldn’t attempt to use it unless it was the kind of game that embraced TO shenanigans. It has the feel of an exploit using a poorly-worded spell description, not the intended use of the spell.

Edit: of course, if you asked your GM, his ruling takes precedence over an amount of RAW/RAI debate.

Zanos
2020-10-05, 12:44 PM
The only issue is that if you're using the contingencies for the majority of your melee performance, you'll have to recast them every time you use them. Since contingency has a 10 minute casting time, you'd need 20 minutes minimum between every fight for your shtick to come back online.

But it's not like you're defenseless without it. You're still a werebear.