PDA

View Full Version : about the comic...

Dwarf-fighter
2007-11-02, 10:52 AM
i was wondering who has read all of the comics and is along-side me that this is definately the best comic ever..

Winterwind
2007-11-02, 11:12 AM
i was wondering who has read all of the comics Since this is the GitP forum, I think it's a good bet that almost everyone around here has.

and is along-side me that this is definately the best comic ever..I reserve that judgement for when I have lived forever. :smallwink:
However, it is amongst the best ones I know of.

I believe this should be in the OotS-subforum though.

Ichneumon
2007-11-02, 01:04 PM
i was wondering who has read all of the comics and is along-side me that this is definately the best comic ever..

I've read them all, and although I liked it I must say it isn't the best.

landadmiral
2007-11-02, 01:06 PM
I've read them all and place them 2nd.

1st being Goblins (http://www.goblinscomic.com/)

Darken Rahl
2007-11-02, 02:38 PM
Goblins needs to get back to a regular update schedule, for reals.

geekyhedgehog
2007-11-02, 02:58 PM
This is the only webcomic (except Erfworld) that i have read, but I'd rate it 1st

Balathustrius
2007-11-02, 03:55 PM
Calvin and Hobbes. Need I say more? :smallsmile:

Kreistor
2007-11-02, 04:06 PM
Yeah, you do. Bloom County.

tirsales
2007-11-02, 04:14 PM
@Balathustrius: *waves hand vaguely in the air* Naah, say no more. It truly was the best of them *sighs deeply*
So e.g. Garfield or Hägar are quite funny too ;)

I vote this one the best webcomic so far - though I like e.g. Sinfest, CTRL+ALT+DEL, Nuklear Power, and some more.

Goblins ... Well, read it for some time, too long an absence for my liking, but perhaps I will restart reading ..

Soups
2007-11-02, 04:43 PM
Far Side = Eternal win.

As far as plot driven story american comics, I have to give props to Megatokyo.

OotS is in my top 5, but then again, the 3 comics are pretty much different catagories aren't they?

Duke
2007-11-02, 05:00 PM
I kinda-sorta read Penny Arcade, I'm reading F@nboy$, and I recently got into this, so...

If it counts, Hsu & Chan ՔΏωŋ§.

Chronos
2007-11-02, 06:29 PM
Personally, I'd rank Piled Higher and Deeper (http://www.phdcomics.com/) and xkcd (http://www.xkcd.com/) higher, but those both appeal to fairly narrow audiences. But since I'm both a grad student and a nerd...

reorith
2007-11-03, 12:31 PM
i'm with chronos
tier zero has xkcd and cyanide + happiness
tier one is where oots and bigger than cheeses reside
tier two has gone with the blast wave, tainted ink, perry bible fellowship and smbc comics
tier three is everything else
tier four is erfworld

monty
2007-11-03, 12:38 PM
I'd definitely put OotS in the top ten, but it's not the best. Calvin and Hobbes takes first, hands down. Then there's Far Side, xkcd, 8-bit, Goblins, and a few others, as well as OotS, that are too close to rank.

Swashbuckler
2007-11-03, 12:51 PM
Yeah, you do. Bloom County.

Amen!

1. Bloom County
2. Calvin & Hobbes
3. OotS.

Considering my top 2 are defunct, OotS is the current reigning champ.

Lord_Butters_I
2007-11-03, 12:59 PM
Calvin and Hobbes has no equal at all, OotS is excelent and #2. 8-bit is nice, but it never really developed a plot; it's just one dumb joke after another.

TorJin
2007-11-03, 01:03 PM
I have one thing to say:

Achewood.

monty
2007-11-03, 01:04 PM
A comic doesn't necessarily need a plot to be good (Far Side is another example). Sometimes you need humor just for the sake of being funny.

Roy Tamir
2007-11-03, 01:56 PM
I think it's the best....
no, i'm pretty sure it's the best.

monty
2007-11-03, 07:04 PM
For those who say OotS is the greatest comic:

If you have read Calvin and Hobbes, what is wrong with you?
If you have not read Calvin and Hobbes, read it. You're missing out.

Spiryt
2007-11-03, 07:12 PM
If you have read Calvin and Hobbes, what is wrong with you?

Well, I'm not from USA, so I couldn't read too much of Calvin and Hobbes, but I read few. And I don't see nothing particulary great in them.

And nothing's wrong with me, speak for yourself :smalltongue:

Order of the Stick is certainly better, it's just great. Probably best internet comic IMO, although I read only few of them. And some 8-bit Theathers are at least equally good.

VVV Probably. And about people who think Monty Pyton is stupid...

Burn the Witches! :smallwink:

monty
2007-11-03, 07:13 PM
Well, I'm not from USA, so I couldn't read too much of Calvin and Hobbes, but I read few. And I don't see nothing particulary great in them.

Maybe it's one of those things that some people just don't get, like how with Monty Python most people either think it's the funniest thing ever or just think it's stupid.

Koraks
2007-11-03, 07:54 PM
Monty Python rocks. The boat. a lot. Clavin&Hobbes takes first place. I Really like Achille Talon, but I don't know if there are that many french comic readers here. Second place to OotS. I've read it so many times I have too put it second.

Here's one of my favorites Calvin quotes:

Some people are pragmatists, taking things as they come and making the best of the choices available. Some people are idealists, standing for principle and refusing to compromise. And some people just act on any whim that enters their heads. I pragmatically turn my whims into principles.

and again:

It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.

TSED
2007-11-04, 06:49 AM
Man, what's with the plethora of amazing comics not being mentioned at all?

Sluggy Freelance? Schlock Mercenary? Wigu? LICD? Scary Go Round? Qwantz?

There are too many amazing comics to choose the best from. OotS is top notch quality, which just means I compare it to other top notch comics (and before you ask, all of the above weren't mentioned. Yes, I know C&H rocks, as does XKCD). Man, I'd trade OotS for more Wigu, personally...

I guess that shows what I think is the best one evar. Oh well.

And I don't even know how people can compare 8-bit or CAD to OotS. Like some one comparing their highschool garage band to the Beatles, and no, OotS is not in the garage.

Green and Red
2007-11-04, 08:49 AM
Hmm, i guess im one of the few who actually thinks oots is the best comic i ever read. Stuff like goblins , or calvin & hobbes is funny okay, but for me they hardly measure up.... i dont read many webcomics, mostly just oots, erfworld, flaky pastry and darklegacycomics, so theres a good chance i missed some really funny things. But from what i have read so far nothing ever came even close to oots

Gandal
2007-11-04, 03:17 PM
It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.
Such an awesome quote.:smallbiggrin:

Spiky
2007-11-04, 03:51 PM
1. The Far Side
2. Order of The Stick
3. Dilbert
4. Calvin and Hobbes
5. Bloom County
6. Cathy

(jk at the end, there)