PDA

View Full Version : Transmuter’s stone question

Falconcry
2020-10-05, 12:20 PM
So I’m a transmutation wizard with my stone on a cord around my neck. If I drop the cord and polymorph into a giant ape that then loops the cord around my wrist can I maintain the resilient con It grants since I can pass the object to others to use anyway? Since polymorph removes warcaster I would like the chance to maintain concentration on the spell.

Democratus
2020-10-05, 12:30 PM
Seems like a reasonable thing to ask your DM to let you do.

firelistener
2020-10-05, 01:15 PM
I would allow it, but as DM I would also have enemies take note of you dropping the stone like this. All it would take is a single creature walking up to you and readying an action to swipe it and run when you drop it to foil your plan. Looking for loopholes is a good way to get your DM to do the same.

Democratus
2020-10-05, 04:01 PM
Might even be a cool "cinematic" to throw the stone up into the air and change into an ape while it is airborne - catching it as a fully transformed ape.

Chugger
2020-10-05, 05:38 PM
The stone only has to be in your possession to work. I'd rule that if you polymorphed it would morph into you and be in your possession, like your robe and backpack and so on.

If you want to polymorph yourself for fun or character reasons, that's cool - and fun.

I generally don't polymorph myself. I see it as a mega-heal spell for when the party is in trouble and a meleer is about to go down, or has dropped to zero. I get someone else to healing word him or do a potion, then I polymorph him, granting him 150+ hit points. Poor ac, sure, but lots of HP and solid damage. And I get to cast other spells while my new "pet" ravages the enemies. Tactically this may be where polymorph is most powerful - except using it to turn an enemy into a snail to remove them from a fight is also very powerful.

Falconcry
2020-10-05, 05:56 PM
except using it to turn an enemy into a snail to remove them from a fight is also very powerful.

Or mad enough to follow your boat.

MaxWilson
2020-10-05, 06:38 PM
So I’m a transmutation wizard with my stone on a cord around my neck. If I drop the cord and polymorph into a giant ape that then loops the cord around my wrist can I maintain the resilient con It grants since I can pass the object to others to use anyway? Since polymorph removes warcaster I would like the chance to maintain concentration on the spell.

From a RAW standpoint it's unclear if your stone should keep working when you're no longer a Transmuter. From a gameplay and fun perspective... I think I'd allow it. It seems like a reasonable expectation on the part of the player.

Might even be a cool "cinematic" to throw the stone up into the air and change into an ape while it is airborne - catching it as a fully transformed ape.

Concur, that is cool. I think you'd need another free hand for that though, in addition to the hand you use for somatic/material components for the spell. Doing three things at a time with one hand is just too much for me to buy.

The stone only has to be in your possession to work. I'd rule that if you polymorphed it would morph into you and be in your possession, like your robe and backpack and so on.

Based on the "melds" clause of Polymorph, I would rule differently. ("The target's gear melds into the new form. The creature can't activate, use, wield, or otherwise benefit from any of its Equipment.") If it weren't for that clause I'd be cool with not making you do the remove-then-Polymorph-then-reclaim-the-stone dance, but it's there so... you have to not be wearing the stone when you Polymorph.

Tanarii
2020-10-05, 09:40 PM
Tactically this may be where polymorph is most powerful - except using it to turn an enemy into a snail to remove them from a fight is also very powerful.
Except when a knowledgeable ally of the enemy steps on them (doing a 1pt unarmed attack) and puts them right back in the fight. It does eat up one enemy action, but that's less than useful for a level 4 spell when it's a mook bringing a more powerful creature back into play.

MaxWilson
2020-10-05, 09:56 PM
Except when a knowledgeable ally of the enemy steps on them (doing a 1pt unarmed attack) and puts them right back in the fight. It does eat up one enemy action, but that's less than useful for a level 4 spell when it's a mook bringing a more powerful creature back into play.

And that's how you get tables where PCs habitually polymorph enemies into beached Orca whales.

Chugger
2020-10-05, 10:03 PM

Wow I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition. The last time I used a polymorph as control, to turn an enemy into a snail, there were other enemies in the battle that could have damaged it to remove the polymorph. So I actually thought about the battle order - the initiative order - and knew that one of my allies was right after me and was close enough to scoop up the snail, could move 10' and do it. So I summoned my hound of ill omen, which was instructed not to use its action, the target had a disad on ST and failed, and my char told my ally to scoop up the snail and pocket it - in AL, which I was playing, thing in your pocket don't get harmed.

So this is easily taken care of provided your circumstances and game interpretation allows it - now if the DM has his badguys fireball the person w/ the snail in backpack or pocket and rules it does take damage, something else would need to be done. And I'd probably get rid of another spell and have banishment ready to use - and in that case polymorph would just be an emergency battle heal.

Tanarii
2020-10-05, 10:48 PM
And that's how you get tables where PCs habitually polymorph enemies into beached Orca whales.
It does kinda lend itself to that, instead of a more traditional sheep :smallamused:

Democratus
2020-10-06, 03:16 PM
Concur, that is cool. I think you'd need another free hand for that though, in addition to the hand you use for somatic/material components for the spell. Doing three things at a time with one hand is just too much for me to buy.

Tossing an item into the air and catching is simple enough to me to be the free "interact with object." YMMV. :smallsmile:

MaxWilson
2020-10-06, 03:42 PM
Tossing an item into the air and catching is simple enough to me to be the free "interact with object." YMMV. :smallsmile:

I have no problem with that part--I just have a (minor) problem with using that hand to manipulate a caterpillar coccoon and make magic gestures, while throwing and then catching the item. It's similar to my problem with using your mouth to deliver Cutting Words insults, a Bardic Inspiration speech, play a kazoo for a spell focus, and speak Verbal spell components all in one round.

Falconcry
2020-10-06, 09:37 PM
Would that matter if I have one free hand and a shield with warcaster?

MaxWilson
2020-10-06, 09:45 PM
Would that matter if I have one free hand and a shield with warcaster?

Hmmm. Warcaster lets you make somatic gestures in your shield hand, meaning your free hand to manipulate the caterpillar/focus and throw the stone. (Thinks) Yes, I'd allow that. Two things with one hand is not too much. Real life magicians do that much all the time.

So yes, Warcaster would matter to me as DM.