PDA

View Full Version : Making a usable hedgehog

eyebreaker7
2020-10-05, 12:35 PM
Below is from https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/hedgehog/
How could I go about making a giant &/or dire hedgehog so it would be usable as a fighter? Maybe even an animal companion?
Sorry one of my family members posted this http://village.photos/images/user/c305cbbe-e053-4c83-8f55-e8d66ccfa88f/65918b1f-f74d-4bc6-b762-bee83489272a.jpg on Facebook and it's just to cute.

HedgehogCR 1/8

XP 50
N Diminutive animal
Init +3; Senses low-light vision; Perception +1

DEFENSE

AC 18, touch 17, flat-footed 15 (+3 Dex, +1 natural, +4 size)
hp 2 (1d8–2)
Fort +0, Ref +5, Will +1

OFFENSE

Speed 20 ft.
Space 1 ft.; Reach 0 ft.

STATISTICS

Str 1, Dex 16, Con 6, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 7
Base Atk +0; CMB –1; CMD 4 (8 vs. trip)
Feats Athletic
Skills Climb +5, Stealth +19, Swim +5

SPECIAL ABILITIES

Familiar
The master of a hedgehog familiar gains a +2 bonus on Will saves.

Spiny Defense (Ex)
As a move action, a hedgehog can roll itself up into a spiny ball. While rolled up, it gains a +1 enhancement bonus to its existing natural armor, and any creature attempting to grapple the hedgehog takes 1d3 damage on making a grapple check. While rolled up, a hedgehog cannot take any action other than leaving this state. The hedgehog can leave this state as a move action.

ECOLOGY

Environment tropical or temperate forests
Organization solitary or pair
Treasure none

Hedgehogs are spiny, insectivorous mammals. When threatened, a hedgehog rolls up into a spiny ball as a defense mechanism.

SangoProduction
2020-10-05, 01:14 PM
Spheres of Power.
Conjuration sphere. You get out what you put in. Hell, take Sphere Summoner as well.

You want to summon your pet super hedgehog? Congratulations, there you go.

PrismCat21
2020-10-05, 03:07 PM
What game system and version of game system is this for

If 3.5 or Pathfinder, for it to become a Fighter it will need an Intelligence Score of at least 3 and the ability to take class levels.

eyebreaker7
2020-10-05, 03:48 PM
It would be for 3.5/Pathfinder. I meant being able to fight when I said fighter. Not being an actual fighter class. Sorry I wasn't thinking about that when I typed it.
What is "Spheres of Power"? What source is that in? I feel like I should know this and that's it's a dumb question but my mind has been hit with a feeblemind spell at the moment.

SangoProduction
2020-10-05, 08:45 PM
Spheres of Power is a third party expansion that features modular characters, particularly magic characters that scale linearly rather than exponentially. Faster than true martials, with a wider set of abilities, but linearly all the same.

eyebreaker7
2020-10-05, 08:55 PM
Is there some way of finding the rules you speak of?

PrismCat21
2020-10-05, 09:02 PM
Is there some way of finding the rules you speak of?

http://www.google.com

Biggus
2020-10-06, 08:53 AM
There's a wiki of it here:

http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/

ShurikVch
2020-10-06, 12:08 PM
Cast Create Frenzy Dog (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/fx20011025a) on it
Use the resulting creature as a mount for Windrider PrC (Masters of the Wild)
If you inject your hedgehog with Green Rapture (Dragon #358), it may get Pseudonatural template (non-[epic] one)

Bartmanhomer
2020-10-06, 01:08 PM
This thread reminds me of Sonic The Hedgehog. :smile:

ShurikVch
2020-10-06, 02:04 PM
This thread reminds me of Sonic The Hedgehog. :smile:
For me, it reminded about Duny, the Urcheon of Erlenwald (https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/Emhyr_var_Emreis) :smallamused:

Anyway, Anthropomorphic Animal is a thing (no "official" LA in 3E, but CR 1 allow to play in Pathfinder)

Bartmanhomer
2020-10-06, 02:08 PM
For me, it reminded about Duny, the Urcheon of Erlenwald (https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/Emhyr_var_Emreis) :smallamused:

Anyway, Anthropomorphic Animal is a thing (no "official" LA in 3E, but CR 1 allow to play in Pathfinder)

That's very cool. :smile:

Rebel7284
2020-10-06, 02:40 PM
Titanic Hedgehog would be fun

Morty_Jhones
2020-10-06, 04:09 PM
HedgehogCR 1/8

XP 50
N Diminutive animal
Init +3; Senses low-light vision; Tremorsence 10ft

DEFENSE

AC 17, touch 16, flat-footed 13 (+1 Dex, +2 natural, +4 size)
hp 2 (1d8–2)
Fort +0, Ref +3, Will +1

OFFENSE

Speed 10 ft,
Space 1 ft.; Reach 0 ft.

STATISTICS

Str 1, Dex 14, Con 6, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 10
Base Atk +0; CMB -1; CMD 4 (8 vs. trip)
Feats Athletic
Skills Climb +5, Stealth +19, Swim +5

SPECIAL ABILITIES

Familiar
The master of a hedgehog familiar gains a +2 bonus on Will saves.

Spiny Defense (Ex)
As a free action, a hedgehog can roll itself up into a spiny ball.
While rolled up, it gains a +2 enhancement bonus to its existing natural armor.
and Slowfall 10ft

Any creature attempting to grapple the hedgehog or attack using a unarmed attack or nateral weapon takes 1d3 Piercing damage.
when rolled up, a hedgehog cannot take any action other than unrolling, which is a move action.

ECOLOGY

Environment tropical and temperate forests or underground
Organization solitary, pair or family
Treasure none

Hedgehogs are spiny, insectivorous mammals. When threatened, a hedgehog rolls up into a spiny ball as a defense mechanism.

---------------------

love these stats,though I would serjest the above minor changes in the sats for our spikky freands.

personaly I would not like the engineering chalenge of making a usable sadle for a dire Hedgehog. spiky death if you get it wrong.

daremetoidareyo
2020-10-07, 08:31 AM
Hedgehog is statted out. DMG under the alternative familiars. Lemme cutpaste

Hedgehog Familiar: CR —; Diminutive magical beast;
HD 1; hp 1/2 master’s; Init +0; Spd 15 ft.; AC 17, touch 15, flat-
footed 16; Base Atk +0; Grp –16; Atk +5 melee (1d3–4 bite); Full
Atk +5 melee (1d3–4 bite); Space/Reach 1 ft./0 ft.; SA poison;
SQ defensive ball, improved evasion, granted abilities; AL anyV Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +1; Str 3, Dex 12, Con 10, Int 6, Wis 12,
Cha 5.
Skills and Feats: Hide +17, Listen +5, Spot +5; Weapon Finesse.
Poison (Ex): When in a defensive ball (see below), spines poison
foes touching the hedgehog; injury, Fortitude DC 10, initial and
secondary damage 1d2 Dex.
Defensive Ball (Ex): Rolls into a ball as a standard action, granting
a +2 circumstance bonus on saves and AC. Unrolling is a free
action.

PrismCat21
2020-10-08, 12:19 AM

Savage Species. P. 214-217. Anthropomorphic Animals. "Level Adjustment: See Table A-58. which contains the level adjustment for the anthropomorphic version of each animal in the Monster Manual."
Seems pretty official

He asked for a "giant &/or dire hedgehog", "Maybe even an animal companion?". You gave neither. He already has stats for a regular Hedgehog. You copy/pasted a Familiar, a magical beast whose stats have been changed by being a Familiar. If you want the stats for a regular 3.5 Hedgehog then you need to reverse engineer the Familiar Hedgehog.

Morty_Jhones
2020-10-08, 04:13 AM

Poison (Ex): When in a defensive ball (see below), spines poison
foes touching the hedgehog; injury, Fortitude DC 10, initial and
secondary damage 1d2 Dex.

Defensive Ball (Ex): Rolls into a ball as a standard action, granting
a +2 circumstance bonus on saves and AC. Unrolling is a free
action.

? ? Poison ? ?

Hedgehogs are not poisionus. Porcupines are. however pocupines don't defence roll there spines they flare them in the direction of danger, its this flaring that acashionaly chucks off a older spine, think the auther of this entry mashed them together..

the hedgehogs big trick is that is uses it's spins not only for defence but as shock asorbers, they can drop or jump down from suprisingly high drops (10ft) and just bounce away with no harm, i have seen them climb and then jump off my garden wall without harm, somthing some humans have problem with.

ok but theres enough here to work with.........
1st split the hedgehoge and the prcupine.. so one stat block, but a choise of abilities like for spiders....

Spine wall. (porcupine) (freeaction)
+2 circumstance bonus to AC. Can throw 1d4 Spines every 1d4 rounds, 5ft range inc, spine damage (see below)
or
Defencive Ball (hedgehog) (freeaction)
+2 circumstance bonuse to ac, Slowfall 10ft. speed -10ft

Both
Wall of spikes.
Attempting to graple or attacking with unarmed attacks/natural weapons deals spine damage to attackers.

DIRE BEAST using the guide from here..

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Dire_(3.5e_Template)

Dire Hedgehoge/porcupine
Tiny Animal (CR 1)
HD 2d8 (12)
I +3
speed 30ft
AC 19 (+3 dex, +4 Nateral armour +2 size), Touch 15, Flat 15
Bab +1
Attack Bite +3 (1d4)mellee, (porcupine only) 1d4 Spines +4 (1 P) ranged 5ft, 1d4 round reload
fort +3, ref +5 Will +2
Str 11(0),Dex 16(3), Con 10(0), Int 2(-4) Wis 12(1) ,Cha 9(-1)
Feats, Weapon finess.
Sences. Lowlight Vishion, Sent (+4 tracking by smell)
+2 save vs poision (tough little buggers)

Giant Hedgehog
Small Animal (CR 3)
HD 7d8+7 (39)
I -1
speed 25ft
AC 11 (-1 dex, +1 Nateral armour +1 size), Touch 12, Flat 12
Bab + 5
Attack Bite +4 (1d6)mellee, (porcupine only) 1d4 Spines +4 (1d3 P) ranged 5ft, 1d4 round reload
Fort +7, Ref +6 Will +4
Str 9(-1),Dex 8(-1), Con 10(0), Int 2(-4) Wis 12(1) ,Cha 5(-1)
Feats, Endurance, Improved Overrun. Power attack, Toughness
Sences. Lowlight Vishion, Sent (+4 tracking by smell)
+2 save vs poision (tough little buggers)

Battle mount
Rolling Thunder. (hedgehog only)
When making a run or charge giant Hedgehogs may curl into a ball as part of the move and roll to there entended destination. creatures in the path must make a Reflex save DC 25 or take 2d6 piercing damage. note due to the creatures improved overun. evashion can not be used to avoyed this attack unlesss it has 12 or more HD

Trample
When running or moving it may move over targets of Tiny or dimiutive size. creatures moved over may make a reflxe save DC 20 Half (Str) or take 2d4 damage.

Throw Hedgehoge!
as a ranged weapon it may flick Diminutive 'Bolder's at its target with a range incrament of 10ft. doing so is a full round action that provokes attacks of opertunity. this ranged attacks are against an AC of 15 and creatures in the target area may make a reflex save vs attack roll to dodged out of the way. creatures hit take 1d4 damage.

(edited) fergot to give the giant Hedghog the +10ft move for going up 2 size brackets

(re edited) Sunno if it belongs here But should put the tiny murder bonuses cuss it gets them for giant......

AnimeTheCat
2020-10-08, 08:25 AM
not useable as an animal companion or familiar, but courtesy of Monster Manual 2 you have the Titanic template that, among other things, increases the creature size to Gargantuan and raises their HD to 25.

ShurikVch
2020-10-09, 03:19 PM
Titanic Hedgehog would be fun
Dragon #289 have Kaiju template: +40 HD, Colossal, various SA and SQ... (Speed 20' and Int 2, but both can be mitigated with other templates)

Morty_Jhones
2020-10-09, 05:06 PM
this one looks fun...

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Phrenic_Creature

turns the animal into a Psionic Mutant with mind powers to blast you with, only +1 CR for a lowly hedgehog

ShurikVch
2020-10-09, 05:38 PM
this one looks fun...

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Phrenic_Creature

turns the animal into a Psionic Mutant with mind powers to blast you with, only +1 CR for a lowly hedgehog
Psyhog, I Choose You! :smallbiggrin: