PDA

View Full Version : Warlord should be a class

eunwoler
2020-10-05, 02:07 PM
There is no solid reason IMO why it shouldn't.

No single subclass can portray the Warlord to its fullest, it has too many components mechanically and a core flavor of its own

It's an enabler, healer, buffer, debuffer who can still fight martially. There's the tactical warlord, the strategic warlord, the scary intimidating warlord, inspiring warlord, lazy warlord, charismatic warlord, martial white ravenish warlord, the noble warlord etc

Mike Mearls made a happy fun hour warlord and it was so chock full of features and yet still missing so much stuff it felt obvious to me then that it cannot be encapsulated as a single subclass

Dienekes
2020-10-05, 03:08 PM
Agreed. But there’s not much else to talk about for it. We can keep filling out “add the warlord” on WotC survey and that’s about it.

Though if you’re interested here’s the best Warlord homebrew I’ve seen:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bRmhnSLJzmXTQaBQz_kuw14jQq0t6PwD/view

IsaacsAlterEgo
2020-10-05, 03:14 PM
Yeah, I agree. Battlemaster is the closest thing currently and it just can't do enough to live up to the entire warlord class being a subclass. Fighter has a lot of power in the class chassis rather than the subclass so the things you can do with fighter subclasses is pretty limited in scope, so I really hope they don't keep going the route of trying to make Warlord into a fighter subclass. A standalone class would be best, but I'm guessing they're quite reluctant to do so since Artificer took forever, and Psion/Mystic seems to have been dropped entirely.

Edea
2020-10-05, 03:32 PM
They're probably just going to tell you play a College of Valor bard. The 'needs to be mundane' part has likely been thoroughly discarded; it'd be easier for them to turn the more powerful warlord-esque effects into bard spells, and then perhaps the 'you attack for me' function into a bard cantrip that uses the target's reaction (kind-of like directing a familiar).