PDA

View Full Version : Help me make a martial-arts class: Capoeira!

Capoeira
2007-11-02, 11:18 AM
Capoeira, for those unaware:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capoeira
So this art form I have been practicing for some time now, and have always wanted to see in D&D, which Ive also been doing for some time now.
If you need to see it in action, think of the Tekken character:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_Gordo
Or just fish around youtube.

I dont know if it works better as a PrC, but I was thinking of it as a base class so far...

No, it is not a monk class: Capoeiristas are decidedly chaotic alignment,

No, it is not a bard class: We fight well unarmed and can do takedowns,

As far as supernatural stuff, ledgends from around 1600 to the 1900s tell of capoeiristas being immune to damage from unenchanted weapons (corpo fechado - closed body), being able to disappear from sight as long as they were in the forest (besouro manganga for example), or actually being able to use the forms of panthers, snakes or monkeys to hide.

Capoeiristas use strategy to trick or trap our opponents into bad positions in unarmed combat, the games consisting of takedowns and strikes to open parts of the body.
We use sneak attacks, trickery, and unfair advantages as much as we can (were still nice guys tho, really).
We practice advanced acrobatics for body control, discipline, and cause its really kool.
We practice traditional music that drives us to play better, fight longer, and flip higher then we would otherwise.
It also carryies alot of lore: gods and saints, famous capoeiristas, battles and stories are all sung about while were playing.

So, if you think you can help me make a DnD class for it, PLEASE post with suggestions and well work colaboratively to make an awesome chaotic unarmer fighting class with plenty of fluff!

Mr.Moron
2007-11-02, 12:09 PM
I'd be happy to lend a hand, any specifics you'd like help with? Unarmed Fighters seem a popular topic for homebrew around here, heh. Might have gone in a different direction on my first project If I had known that! Still, there is something neat about the unarmed fighter. Bah! I'm rambling! Yeah, give me an assignment and I'd be happy to hammer something out, provided I had the resources. Videos might be nice for anything involving actual class abilities, i'm afraid I'm not too familiar with tekken.

Lord Tataraus
2007-11-02, 12:25 PM
Wow. I looked at a couple videos on youtube (this search (http://youtube.com/results?search_query=Capoeira+fight&search=Search)) and it looks....interesting. Mostly various flip-type moves to make high kicks, seems extremely defensive. LOTS of tumbling and trip attempts. Unfortunately I'm involved with another martial artist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61352) project right now, but maybe it will give you some ideas.

Proven_Paradox
2007-11-02, 12:37 PM
Well, my first upon looking at the Wiki was "monk/bard PrC," but since you've specifically stated that it's not, I'll move on.

So, really, looking at your description, a rogue with Improved Unarmed Strike and Unarmed Supremacy (I might be wrong on the name; it's a ToB feat) could make a good Capoeirista. Alternatives are a class that combines unarmed strikes with a few music-based, mystical abilities, and probably a lot of int-based bonuses due to the strategic effect. I might be willing to work with you on this.

[edit]A quick Youtube search turned this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJKR4cOt2Dc) up. Is this the kind of style you're talking about? Pretty cool stuff.

Finerty
2007-11-02, 01:36 PM
Some ideas -
Abilities - what do you want to base this class' fighting style on? The speed of the blows? Being able to place smart hits in the right places? Weapon Finesse (Dex) or making Int a combat stat could be interesting here.

Song - Maybe a kind of semi-bardic-rage thing - Hmmmm...
Cancao Vitoria (Ex):
Every round that he is in combat, a Capoerista can make a Perform (Vocal) check as a free action, against a DC of (15+CR of strongest opponent). If he succeeds, he becomes empowered by the music of battle and gains a bonus on attacks rolls, damage rolls, and charisma-based checks for that round, equal to his level/4.

Skills - Maybe class bonuses to Perform, Intimidate, Bluff, Tumble, or Hide? I'm not listing Move Silently because I'm sure you'll want to freak people out by singing unseen then bursting into action.

Movement - Speed seems like a smart move here. Fast movement, barbarian one-time or monk full.

Grapplin - I hate grappling. But that looks like a crucial part of the class. Probably the ability to do monstrous things like grapple someone with only part of your body, or start grapples for free (see monster abilities below) or do extra things during a grapple (flurrying? Sneak attacking? [See suddenstrike below]). The ability to throw needs to be incorporated. I think there are feats in CW or CAd for that - there's a good one in Oriental Adventures for sure.

Sudden Strike - this feels like a martial art where speed and surprise can lend some surprisingly powerful blows. Perhaps give them sudden strike progression (I say this out of outright sneak attack because the class feels more ninja/surprise-y than backstabby) and give them some class abilities to use this in more situations. Like, treat tripped opponents or opponents you are grappling as flat-footed. Or simply grant free Improved Feint and bluff bonuses.

Animal Powers - I'm getting a somewhat mystical natural vibe here. Perhaps a few monster abilities spaced out throughout the progression? Trip* or pounce** seem like they'd make nice class abilities. Maybe even Improved Grab*** or that one monster feat (in Savage Species or a later MM, I think) that lets you pin someone with just one limb and keep fighting.

*Trip (Ex)
A Capoerista that hits with an unarmed attack can attempt to trip the opponent (+Int bonus to check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the Capoerista.

**Pounce (Ex)
If a Capoerista charges a foe, it can make a full attack.

***Improved Grab (Ex)
To use this ability, a Capoerista must hit an opponent of any size with an unarmed attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. A Capoerista applies his Int modifier as a bonus on grapple checks.

playswithfire
2007-11-02, 01:41 PM
So, really, looking at your description, a rogue with Improved Unarmed Strike and Unarmed Supremacy (I might be wrong on the name; it's a ToB feat) could make a good Capoeirista.

I think you're thinking of superior unarmed strike.

Would dervish (only other combat PrC i can think of with a dance prereq) provide any help in developing this class?

Capoeira
2007-11-03, 01:21 PM
YEA,
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zWz6ve9TpsQ
and
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kMX9KKzG4-0
are decent examples of fight-performing capoeira. Of course it can be alot more violent than that,but usually its not.

Thank you all for the wonderful help. Here are my thoughts:

Capoeira prestige class:

Prerequisites:
Perform 8
Tumble 8
Dodge, mobility, improved unarmed strike

HP d8
BAB - medium
FORT low
REF high
WILL low
skills 4+int/lvl
class skills:
climb, balance, hide, intimidate, jump, listen, ms, perform, spot, tumble

Class abilities:

Sudden strike at level 1, 5, and 9

fast movement at level 2

trip level 3, improved trip level 6

pounce at level 8

improved grab at level 10

flurry of blows / greater flurry level 2/level 6

level 1 song: Inspire Courage

A capoeirista can use song or poetics to inspire courage in his allies (including himself), bolstering them against fear and improving their combat abilities. To be affected, an ally must be able to hear them sing. The effect lasts for as long as the ally hears them sing and for 5 rounds thereafter. An affected ally receives a +1 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +1 morale bonus on attack and weapon damage for each 5 ranks the character has in perform. Inspire courage is a mind-affecting ability.

uncanny dodge at level 4
stacks with other classes uncanny dodge

evasion level 7

Okay, now lets balance that out and compare it to other prcs, yes?

Someone please table this?

Proven_Paradox
2007-11-03, 10:06 PM
Actually, I'm really liking the idea of a base class for this. I'mma do a bit more research and throw something up. I'll pass it by you before I post it, but I think I'll work on this by myself.

Finerty
2007-11-04, 03:39 AM
Capoeira

Requirements
Skills: Perform 8 ranks, Tumble 8 ranks
Feats: Dodge, mobility, improved unarmed strike
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Flurry of Blows

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+0|Inspire Courage, Sudden Strike +1d6, Flurry of Blows|-2/-2

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+0| Fast Movement|+0/+0

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+1|Trip|+1/+1

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Uncanny Dodge|+2/+2

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Sudden Strike +2d6|+3/+3

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+2|Improved Trip|+4/+4

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+2|Evasion|+5/+5

8th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+6|
+2|Pounce|+6/+6/+1

9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+6|
+3|Sudden Strike +1d6|+6/+6/+1

10th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+7|
+3|Improved Grab|+7/+7/+2

[/table]

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d8
Class Skills:
Balance, Bluff, Climb, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Perform, Spot, Tumble

Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Class Features:
Inspire Courage (Ex): A Capoeirista can use song or poetics to inspire courage in his allies (including himself), bolstering them against fear and improving their combat abilities. To be affected, an ally must be able to hear them sing. The effect lasts for as long as the ally hears them sing and for 5 rounds thereafter. An affected ally receives a +1 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +1 morale bonus on attack and weapon damage for each 5 ranks the character has in perform. Inspire courage is a mind-affecting ability.
Sudden Strike (Ex) : If a Capoeirista can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, he can strike a vital spot for extra damage.

The Capoeirista's attack deals extra damage any time his target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC, whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and it increases by 1d6 every two rogue levels thereafter. Should the rogue score a critical hit with a sudden strike, this extra damage is not multiplied.

Ranged attacks can count as sudden strikes only if the target is within 30 feet.

With a sap (blackjack) or an unarmed strike, a Capoeirista can make a sudden strike that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. He cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sudden strike, not even with the usual -4 penalty.

A Capoeirista can sudden strike only living creatures with discernible anatomies—undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sudden strikes. The Capoeirista must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A Capoeirista cannot sudden strike while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.
Flurry of Blows: (NEEDS CLEARING UP) a monk may strike with a flurry of blows at the expense of accuracy. When doing so, she may make one extra attack in a round at her highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a -2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. The resulting modified base attack bonuses are shown in the Flurry of Blows Attack Bonus column on Table: The Monk. This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity the monk might make before her next action. When a monk reaches 5th level, the penalty lessens to -1, and at 9th level it disappears. A monk must use a full attack action to strike with a flurry of blows.

When using flurry of blows, a monk may attack only with unarmed strikes or with special monk weapons (kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, and siangham). She may attack with unarmed strikes and special monk weapons interchangeably as desired. When using weapons as part of a flurry of blows, a monk applies her Strength bonus (not Str bonus × 1˝ or ×˝) to her damage rolls for all successful attacks, whether she wields a weapon in one or both hands. The monk can’t use any weapon other than a special monk weapon as part of a flurry of blows.

In the case of the quarterstaff, each end counts as a separate weapon for the purpose of using the flurry of blows ability. Even though the quarterstaff requires two hands to use, a monk may still intersperse unarmed strikes with quarterstaff strikes, assuming that she has enough attacks in her flurry of blows routine to do so.
Greater Flurry

When a monk reaches 11th level, her flurry of blows ability improves. In addition to the standard single extra attack she gets from flurry of blows, she gets a second extra attack at her full base attack bonus.
Fast Movement (Ex): A Capoerista's land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the Capoerista's speed because of any load carried or armor worn.
Trip (Ex): A Capoerista that hits with an unarmed attack can attempt to trip the opponent (+Int bonus to check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the Capoerista.
Uncanny Dodge (Ex) : At 2nd level, a Capoerista retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If a Capoerista already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.
Improved Trip (Ex): At 6th level, a Capoerista gains a +4 bonus on trip attempts, and may apply his Dexterity modifier instead of his strength modifier on the opposed check.
Evasion (Ex): At 7th level or higher if a Capoerista makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if a Capoerista is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless Capoerista does not gain the benefit of evasion. If a Capoerista already has evasion from a different class, he automatically gains improved evasion instead.
Pounce (Ex): If a Capoerista charges a foe, he can make a full attack.
Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a Capoerista must hit an opponent of any size with an unarmed attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. A Capoerista applies his Int modifier as a bonus on grapple checks.

Capoeira
2007-11-04, 05:57 AM
I like how this is looking.

To the poster above thinking of a full base class:

I think a non-lawful alignment would be right, considering capoeiras history with runaway slaves, thugs and gangsters.

At higher levels I think the rangers version of hide in plain sight is close to what ledgendary capoeiristas do...

I would say a capoierista above level ? can hide in plain sight in any natural outdoors area, including cities, forests, alleyways, and plains. A capóeirista cannot use this ability in dungeons, caverns, extraplanar settings, or castles/buildings.

also, greater flurry, improved evasion and improved uncanny dodge are feats that should be in a 20-level version I think...

Right now this class gets no bonus to unarmed attacks. I think this is okay since capoeiristas tend to not train for impact quite as insanely as muy thai or shaolin with their repetitive nerve-destroying stone and iron forms.
For damage, a capoeirista will have to use a conbination of song bonus, sudden strike combined with takedowns (to make the opponent prone even in a 1-on-1), and even light weapons. Capoeiristas tended (sometimes still do) to use easily consealable weapons such as straightrazors, daggers and batons, these could easily be used with flurry and could help to surpass DR in those types of encounters.

I mean, who doesnt like the idea of taking out a balor with a shaman-en-chanted shiv??

Capoeira
2007-11-05, 06:02 AM
Okay, version 1:

Capoeira

A traditional art that combines traditions of many ancient cultures, this dance-fight-game requires ability in fighting and stealth.
It consists of a ritual circle of practitioners playing percussion instruments and singing songs that reflect the mythology of the art or encourage the capoeiristas to higher levels of skill.
The form is marked by fluid kicks mixed with acrobatic play, feints, subterfuge, and extensive use of groundwork, as well as sweeps and headbutts. Some easily consealable weapons, such as daggers and knives, can be used with the form, though primaraily a capoeirista will depend on his ability to catch his opponent unaware and disable him quickly.
Used by street kids, freedom fighters and gangsters, masterful capoeiristas have been known to avoid capture and even disappear from plain sight.

Requirements
Alignment: Any non-lawful
Skills: Perform 8 ranks, Tumble 8 ranks
Feats: Dodge, mobility, improved unarmed strike

Capoeiristas tend to play the role of scout or skirmisher, generally lacking the AC and weapons for front-line combat.
Useful feats for capoeira can include:
Knockdown
Superior Unarmed Strike
Spring Attack
Weapon Finese
Toughness

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Flurry of Blows

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+0|Sudden Strike +1d6, Flurry of Blows, Canny Defense|-1/-1

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+0|Inspire Courage, Fast Movement|+0/+0

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+1|Trip|+1/+1

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+1|Sudden Strike +2d6|+2/+2

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+1|Evasion|+4/+4

6th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+5|
+2|Uncanny Dodge|+5/+5/+0

7th|
+7/+2|
+2|
+5|
+2|Improved Trip, Sudden Strike +3d6 |+6/+6/+1

8th|
+8/+3|
+2|
+6|
+2|Pounce|+7/+7/+2

9th|
+9/+4|
+3|
+6|
+3|Improved Grab, Greater Flurry|+9/+9/+9/+4

10th|
+10/+5|
+3|
+7|
+3| Hide in Plain Sight, Sudden Strike +4d6|+10/+10/+10/+5

[/table]

Hit Die: 1d8
Class Skills:
Balance, Bluff, Climb, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Perform, Spot, Tumble

Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Class Features:

Canny Defense
Dodge bonus to AC based on intelligence bonus, limited by class level (same as duelist).

Sudden Strike (Ex) : If a Capoeirista can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, he can strike a vital spot for extra damage.
The Capoeirista's attack deals extra damage any time his target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC, whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and it increases by 1d6 every 3 levels thereafter. Should the character score a critical hit with a sudden strike, this extra damage is not multiplied.

With a sap (blackjack) or an unarmed strike, a Capoeirista can make a sudden strike that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. He cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sudden strike, not even with the usual -4 penalty.

A Capoeirista can sudden strike only living creatures with discernible anatomies—undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sudden strikes.

Flurry of Blows (Ex)
A capoeirista may strike with a flurry of blows at the expense of accuracy. When doing so, she may make one extra attack in a round at her highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a -2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. The resulting modified base attack bonuses are shown in the Flurry of Blows Attack Bonus column on the Table. This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity. When a monk reaches 5th level, the penalty lessens to -1, and at 9th level it disappears. A character must use a full attack action to strike with a flurry of blows.

When using flurry of blows, a monk may attack only with unarmed strikes, natural attacks, or with special light weapons (machete, dagger, razorblade, staff, baton). She may attack with unarmed strikes and special weapons interchangeably as desired. When using weapons as part of a flurry of blows, a character applies her Strength bonus (not Str bonus × 1˝ or ×˝) to her damage rolls for all successful attacks, whether she wields a weapon in one or both hands. The capoeirista can’t use any weapon as part of a flurry of blows that she cannot draw as a free action, making quickdraw a very useful feat to have.
Greater Flurry
When a capoeirista reaches 9th level, her flurry of blows ability improves. In addition to the standard single extra attack she gets from flurry of blows, she gets a second extra attack at her full base attack bonus.

Inspire Courage (Ex): At second level, a Capoeirista can use song or poetics to inspire courage in his allies (including himself), bolstering them against fear and improving their combat abilities. To be affected, an ally must be able to hear them sing. The effect lasts for as long as the ally hears them sing and for 5 rounds thereafter. An affected ally receives a +1 morale bonus on saving throws against mental effects and a +1 morale bonus on dodge AC, attack and weapon damage for each 4 ranks the character has in perform. Inspire courage is a mind-affecting ability.

Fast Movement (Ex): At second level, a Capoerista's land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the Capoerista's speed because of any load carried or armor worn.

Trip (Ex): At level 3, a Capoerista that hits with an unarmed attack can attempt to trip the opponent (+Int bonus to check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the Capoerista.

Evasion (Ex): At 5th level or higher if a Capoerista makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if a Capoerista is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless Capoerista does not gain the benefit of evasion. If a Capoerista already has evasion from a different class, he automatically gains improved evasion instead.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex) : At level 6, a Capoerista retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If a Capoerista already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

Improved Trip (Ex): At 7th level, a Capoerista gains a +4 bonus on trip attempts, and may apply his Dexterity modifier instead of his strength modifier on the opposed check.

Pounce (Ex): At level 8, if a Capoerista charges a foe, he can make a full attack.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a Capoerista of 9th level or more must hit an opponent of any size with an unarmed attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. A Capoerista applies his Int modifier as a bonus on grapple checks.

Hide in Plain Sight (Ex)
At level 10, While in any sort of natural terrain or city, a capoeirista can use the Hide skill even while being observed. This only work in natural environments, not caverns, crypts, dungeons, or other planes.

Special:
Since capoeira specializes in trickery and manipulation, a capoeirista may chose one of the following skills to use when rolling for a special feint maneuver: Tumble, Perform, Bluff, Intimidate.
They may use this skill against the will save of their living, humanoid opponent. If they succceed, that opponent loses their dexterity bonus (and is suseptable to sneak attack/sudden strike).
The skill the character chooses is the only one that can be used for this purpose, being the capoeiristas ´specialty´

FEEDBACK, please! maybe even testing? DMs who have a city-based campaign, try an evil capoeira boss next session to help test it out?

Is it overpowered?

ForzaFiori
2007-11-05, 06:29 AM
ah, dancing karate. (at least, thats what i've always heared it called. I had never heard its true name) This is a good choice for a class. I'd add abilities that build off of the twisting movements they do, like the ability the drunken master has to charge without moving in a straight line, or say make a performance (dance) check rather than bluff to make your opponent be flat footed (but maybe add in something like if you dont make it, your opponent catches you in the middle of one of those fancy flips, and you take a penalty to AC against their attacks)

Supreme Geasser
2007-11-05, 11:14 AM
Why don't you try putting bonus to AC because capoeira requires you to move with the beat. (Capoeiristas moving so fast due to the tempo of the song)

Also, remove the inspire courage ability because capoeiristas does not sing and in place put the Dervish(Complete Warrior) ability Dervish Dance which allows full-round attacks while moving up your speed.

Capoeira
2007-11-05, 01:21 PM
but we do sing...
in fact you usually get kicked by the teacher of you don´t.
Ill add it into the flava-text.

As far as ac, I think the inspiration song will ad a few, and the uncanny dodge will add a few, making it not super powered but okay...

The thing is capoeiristas have good reflexes in general, but are on the top of their game when the music is playing... so these two feats reflect it...

As far as the dervish, could someone copy it here? I have the sourcebook at home I swear, but right now Im like 30000 miles or something from home.

elliott20
2007-11-05, 03:07 PM
I used to want to learn Capoiera when I was younger but then I started hurting myself since our group didn't have a teacher, but rather just a bunch of kids just trying to imitate videos. Good times.

Anyway, a base class is not a bad idea really. But to be quite honest, I think it can be done via published material. The trick here though, is that there is little focus in your maneuver choices and it takes a little tinkering.

Let's lay out the things we need to show here:

- floor fighting
- flexibility
- acrobatics
- trick shots
- unarmed combat
- music/spirit enhanced fighting

Depending upon how your would be Capoeira warrior wants to interpret his school of Capoeira fighting, you can simply have him put more emphasis on one discipline than the other.

The rest you can do with feats. So, I've looked up a couple feats and I think these will give us a good base to start wtih:

- improved unarmed strike (obviously)
- prone attack: attack from ground with not penalty (CW)
- snap kick: extra unarmed strike every time you attack. This is not AS necessary, but still kind of cool. (ToB)
- superior unarmed strike: upgrade unarmed strike damage dice. (ToB)
- Weapon Finesse: if you want a dex Capoiera fighter
- Rapid Assault: nice for that first round additional damage
- Evasive Reflex: 5 foot step away instead of attack of opportunity? that CAN be handy.
- improved trip
- combat expertise
- close quarter fighting: resisting grapples sounds like good training to me. (CW)

Obviously, we can't take all of these since we aren't going to have enough feats. But it'll give us some idea as to what kind of Capoeira master we want to make. (After all, while Capoeira has some general characteristics, they are not all interpreted the same way)

Take the Tome of Battle Swordsage, use the unarmed strike variant. (Swordsages can be of any alignment) From the sound of you're saying, Capoiera uses a lot of trick shots and deception. Immediate thing that came into my head? Shadow Hand discipline. This discipline ALSO has some maneuvers that even give you supernatural shadow-like effects and perhaps even let you phase in and out of ethearalness. Easy money right there.

Now, we also have the high flying jump stuff. The Tiger Claw discipline covers the high jump acrobatics where you use your overwhelming high crush jump moves to over power your foes. Consider, for example, a jumping axe kick out of the sky, bringing the full weight of his entire body out of the air to crush his opponent. Sounds pretty close to me. Half of the Tiger Claw discipline also has a tendency to emphasize that the user falls more towards their beastial side. So if you want to show the unbridled side of the warrior, this could be nice.

This next part: the spiritual/musical warrior side, might be a little tricky. We want to shy away from taking bard as there are some flavor and mechanical contradictions, but we still want some way to effect combat via music and the fighting spirit. The answer? The white raven discipline. The white raven discipline has a lot of maneuvers where you enhance your cohorts and teammates and such. Depending upon how you read the rules, you could argue that it enhances yourself as well. (Though, I do recall that being how some of the ridiculous combos come about)

Problem though, White raven is a crusader/warblade only school. This means that if you want to emphasize that aspect, you're gonna have to multi-class. It might just be easier to do a level dip with bard, but we're trying to make a warrior here, dammit. So you know what, let's do some warblade levels for the highly skilled, showy warrior aspects.

Depending upon how big a component the singing circle you want to emphasize, you can calibrate that warblade level. And really, if you're not in need for THAT many songs, you can always just pick up the warblade levels intermittantly and get yourself only a small number of white raven maneuvers.

Now here's the fun part. Normal, real life capoeira while really cool to watch, still adheres to the laws of physics and such. Tome of Battle? Not so much. In fact, to me it seems perfectly natural for a capoeira master of the fantasy realm to be able to produce magical effects with his strikes. Hey, look at that, Desert Wind discipline does just that, and it's been described as a showy, flashy fighting style. It also uses tumble as a key skill. Funny that.

I think this about gives us a good start for now. we'll see how it all works out mathematically later.

Capoeira
2007-11-05, 05:58 PM
damnit, I really need to have a copy of ToB with me for this...

I will when I get back to the states in a week, though.

Also, I just came from a roda here in Rio... the teacher was playing around with a knife (after using it to divide cookies for the kids for after class) while miving, and it was so freaking fluid...

I now have no doubt that the account of knifework Ive head and read are totally ture and capoeiristas can definetly use daggers and knives with thier unarmed attacks...

elliott20
2007-11-05, 06:05 PM
that's the beauty of ToB. All of these maneuvers work with any weapon of your choosing. And a Swordsage does get the martial weapon proficiency. So again, it's a none issue. If he wants, he could work in the knifework/dagger work in any fashion he desires.

Supreme Geasser
2007-11-06, 09:14 AM
Here are the Dervish abilities from Complete Warrior
Try to modify since Dervishes use slashing weapons

AC bonus (EX)- 1st level - Same as monk but the bonus starts at +1 1st level and increase after every 4th dervish level

Dervish Dance (EX) - 1st - level Can make full-round attacks when moving but must move at least 5 feet minimum in between attacks and must not return to a square that was exited but can return as part of the full-round attack. Moving while using this ability provokes AOO from others but can use the Tumble skill to evade the hits. Dervish dance can only be used with a slashing weapons although double-weapons can be used as long as the slashing part is used. A dervish with the bardic music can sing along the dance and can also use Combat Expertise feat if known. Cannot perform the dance if wearing a shield or armor heavier than light. Cannot use skills that involve staying still or concentration like Hide, Move Silently, or Search. Cannot perform dance when under the influence of Rage and/or Frenzy. A dervish dance can only be performed once per encounter. A dance lasts 1 round per every 2 ranks in Perform(Dance). At the end of the dance, the Dervish is fatigued. Can be used once per day at 1st level and increases at every odd level afterwards.

Movement Mastery (EX) - 1st level - Can take 10 on skill checks Jump, Perform(Dance), Tumble even in stress and distraction would normally prevent take 10.

Slashing Blades - 1st level - Dervish treats scimitar as light weapon for all intents and purposes.

Fast Movement (EX) - 2nd level - Gains enhancement bonus to speed at 2nd level or higher. 2nd level +5 feet, 5th level +10, 8th level +15.

Spring Attack - 3rd level - Gains spring attack as the feat even if you do not meet the prerequisites

Dance of Death - 4th level - Can use the cleave feat even if you do not know the feat. you do not need to move the minimum 5 feet

Improved Reaction - 6th level - +2 to initiative rolls

Elaborate Parry - 7th level - extra +4 bonus to AC when fighting defensively or all-out defense in melee

Tireless Dance - 9th level - Does not get fatigued after a Dervish Dance

Thousand Cuts - 10th - once per day, can double the number of full-round attacks (in dervish dance or not). If in dervish dance, can attack twice per move. Can use the great cleave feat even if you do not known it and only with slashing weapons and do not need to take the minimum 5-foot step. Haste spell grants only one bonus attack (Thousand Cuts + Haste = BAB * 2 +1)

elliott20
2007-11-06, 09:30 AM
So I've done a little bit of number crunching for some analysis:

There are a total of 3 different maneuvers from the White Raven school that does boosts and such. The highest level of them is at level 3, which means you'll need a warblade initiator level of 6 to get them. If you want to take the minimum number of warblade levels to maximize your flexibilities with other schools, you can go warblade 1 / swordsage 10, which will get you an IL of 6 with warblades. That will give you three maneuvers to work with but then you'll get nothing else from the warblade discipline. Your final build, if you go with this will be Warblade 1 / SS 19, which gives you an IL of 20 as an SS and 11 as a Warblade. Problem is, since you're not gaining another warblade maneuver, you can't switch them out.

So, perhaps it would be better if you didn't just do a dip, but an actual bit of devoting yourself to it. So, let's say you went SS 14 and W 6, that will net you an IL of 17 for SS, and IL of 13 for W. This will get you 6th level maneuvers for warblade and one 9th level SS maneuver at level 20.

Hmm... tough call that one.

The thing is though, as long as you keep the unarmed strike, your tumble, your prone attack, and somehow boost your unarmored AC, you'll always have enough to get the rest of your maneuvers sounding Capoiera-like by adding the right flavor text. Last night I was thinking about Capoeira with the Iron Heart discipline, and even that works too with the fluff. (Iron Heart emphasizes skill and surgical precision, which is pretty universal among all martial arts)

Capoeira
2007-11-06, 03:14 PM
I ont know, after looking through the ToB again, I love the flavor and ideas, but thematically its a totally different system...
The capoeirista is a rogue variant, not a combination of magical sword styles by any stretch...
However,
the reason I went with PrC for this is because there are alot of different kinds of any form... so for example, youll have the magical songs/spells capoeira practioner (bard10/capoeira10), the fallen/turned non-lawful monk (monk/capoeira), and the more common barb, fighter, and rogue bases, all with still different strengths and probably different fighting strategies depending on their roots...

I like that, cause in the real world thats exactly how martial arts training evolves...

So, Im gonna keep this PrC for now and try to playtest it for power levels, and Im gonna try to make tai-kuan-do and muy-thai PrCs too!!!!!!

elliott20
2007-11-07, 11:03 AM
Well, like I said, evolution is not a problem with ToB, since really your character's fighting style is entirely dependant upon the maneuvers you choose for your character. and Capoiera for the most part, barring a few feats and essential maneuvers, is mostly dependant upon your own fluff description.

In fact, it's even MORE flexible than a class because you have the option of switching out maneuvers when you level up. Most of the maneuvers in ToB are not actually supernatural effects, but are rather described as extraordinary. Meaning, they can perform fantastic feats near the impossible, but they are not magic at it's core.

Having said that though, the flavor being described is quite fantastic and has a very strong dramatic flare to it. This is probably not nearly as conducive to the gritty realism as it would be for say, Matrix cinematics. So from that perspective, I can definitely understand.

To get the gritty realism, you almost HAVE to go with the mundane fighter / rogue sort of level of power just so you still keep your feet on the ground. And in that case, yeah, go ahead and do a base class for it. The current existing classes are not very suitable for handling unarmed combat martial artist that is NOT a monk

Capoeira
2007-11-07, 12:37 PM
...or even that *is* a monk. I was just reading all the stuff about how supposedly monks are not going to be in the 4th ed. PHB... neither are bards.

Honestly, right now I like a -rogue/fighter/ranger- with superior unarmed strike better for a base martial artist anyway....

elliott20
2007-11-07, 12:52 PM
yeah, I think you can pretty much get away with unarmed strike, superior unarmed strike, throw on prone attack, combat expertise, and improved trip, and have yourself the basics for a decent ground fighter. Take some rogue levels, improved feint and you have yourself a sneaky trick ground fighter who specializes in luring his foes into exposing his back or something. Add bard songs for a couple levels and you got a singer.

Though, it won't be nearly as powerful as some of the other builds out there, it's still kind of cool just to visualize and roleplay.