PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Half-Dragon Dragon Breath and Dragon Shaman Breath Weapon

Grummore
2020-10-05, 10:09 PM
Hi!

Are Half-Dragon Dragon Breath and Dragon Shaman Breath Weapon considered different?

If I use one, do I need to wait to use the other one or can I use both on consecutive round?

Thanks!

AlanBruce
2020-10-05, 10:48 PM
The template gives you a breath weapon with fixed damage 1/day.

The class gives you a scaling breath weapon every 1d4 rounds.

I would rule that the Half Dragon’s breath weapon is used up once per day, as described. Leaving your character with a reliable- albeit much weaker- breath weapon for the rest of the day.

Buufreak
2020-10-05, 11:17 PM
No need to rule anything. Different abilities, different cooldowns.

Wildstag
2020-10-06, 11:41 AM
And with the Dragon Breath feat, your half-dragon can have a much shorter cooldown on their off-breath-weapon!

KillianHawkeye
2020-10-06, 01:30 PM
I think it was Draconomicon that established that breath weapons that have a 1d4 cooldown share the cooldown period, like some metallic dragons that have two different breath weapons. However, I don't believe that applies to the half-dragon template's 1/day breath weapon, since it operates differently.

Grummore
2020-10-08, 08:20 AM
Thank you for your thoughts. Although, it doesn't seem there is a clear ruling about this?

Remuko
2020-10-08, 12:25 PM
Thank you for your thoughts. Although, it doesn't seem there is a clear ruling about this?

theyre two things from two separate sources. they dont interact unless rules say they do. so no rules on it means they dont. thats all there is to it

Thurbane
2020-10-08, 04:30 PM
theyre two things from two separate sources. they dont interact unless rules say they do. so no rules on it means they dont. thats all there is to it

This.

AFAIK the only thing that specifically calls out cool-down time for different breath weapons interacting is metallic dragons, as mentioned above.