PDA

View Full Version : Player Help How would you build a Goliath "Workout Bro?"

togapika
2020-10-06, 10:48 AM
So the concept is a Goliath who got kicked out of his tribe for his willingness to assist others in need. Basically the idea that even when you're doing bench press and you have to lift the weight yourself, you still have a spotter in-case of emergencies. For personality, he'll be all about physical fitness, athletic achievement, and helping others reach their fitness goals and become healthier as well. For stats I'll want maxed Strength and probably high Constitution and decent Dexterity as well.

For build I was thinking of picking up skill with cooking or alchemy to make Brotein Shakes, and regardless of class he'd refer to himself as a "Knight of the Swole Grail." For class I was considering Oath of Glory Paladin, though the abilities beyond the Peerless Athlete channel divinity option are just okay in regards to flavor. I was also considering Unity Cleric just to get access to the Shared Burden ability, which seems appropriate.

I'm just wondering if Paladin is the best way to represent this character or if some other class like Fighter would be better, as well as needing to decide on a playstyle as far as weapons go.

Unoriginal
2020-10-06, 10:53 AM
So the concept is a Goliath who got kicked out of his tribe for his willingness to assist others in need. Basically the idea that even when you're doing bench press and you have to lift the weight yourself, you still have a spotter in-case of emergencies. For personality, he'll be all about physical fitness, athletic achievement, and helping others reach their fitness goals and become healthier as well. For stats I'll want maxed Strength and probably high Constitution and decent Dexterity as well.

For build I was thinking of picking up skill with cooking or alchemy to make Brotein Shakes, and regardless of class he'd refer to himself as a "Knight of the Swole Grail." For class I was considering Oath of Glory Paladin, though the abilities beyond the Peerless Athlete channel divinity option are just okay in regards to flavor. I was also considering Unity Cleric just to get access to the Shared Burden ability, which seems appropriate.

I'm just wondering if Paladin is the best way to represent this character or if some other class like Fighter would be better, as well as needing to decide on a playstyle as far as weapons go.

Oath of Glory Paladin seems pretty much tailored for this, IMO.

Maybe some Bard would help too?

ZRN
2020-10-06, 11:20 AM

I'd definitely go with a max-Charisma Paladin with a single level of Bard for the bardic inspiration. Oath of Glory is definitely the way to go. If you're playing the character long-term, I'd say start with a level of paladin, then one of bard, then paladin up to at least level 7; after that you can mix in as many bard levels as you'd like - College of Eloquence or Valor both make sense.

I've had this rattling around in my head as a character concept too - paladins get their always-on auras, which I'd role-play by saying that any ally within 10ft feels like they just drank four Red Bulls.

For weapons, just keep in mind that once you get a second level of bard you can get expertise in Athletics and be great at grappling.

togapika
2020-10-07, 10:32 AM
For weapons, just keep in mind that once you get a second level of bard you can get expertise in Athletics and be great at grappling.

Are the grappling rules as confusing as they were in 3.5?

micahaphone
2020-10-07, 10:36 AM
Are the grappling rules as confusing as they were in 3.5?

Nope!

https://www.5esrd.com/gamemastering/combat/#Grappling

In general, the 5E design intent was "let's make the rules less dense than 3.X"

togapika
2020-10-07, 11:09 AM
Nope!

So that link shows me how to grapple, and looking at the conditions page shows that it reduces their speed to 0, but I can't find what I can actually DO once I've grappled someone...

NecessaryWeevil
2020-10-07, 11:38 AM
So that link shows me how to grapple, and looking at the conditions page shows that it reduces their speed to 0, but I can't find what I can actually DO once I've grappled someone...

Well, if you knock them prone before or after grappling, a speed of 0 means they can't get up. That's a common tactic. Generally the value of grappling depends on the tactical situation and party composition. It's an effective way to tank, if you have few opponents and squishy party members. And a prone enemy is a giftwrapped present to your party's melee Rogue.

Also, remember that you have two hands and thus can grapple two targets.* If you ask nicely, as a Goliath your GM might let you bang their heads together...or use them as improvised weapons.

(*I am not responsible for exploding heads among any of your fellow players who suffer from Guy at the Gym Syndrome.)

togapika
2020-10-07, 11:50 AM
Also, remember that you have two hands and thus can grapple two targets.* If you ask nicely, as a Goliath your GM might let you bang their heads together...or use them as improvised weapons.

(*I am not responsible for exploding heads among any of your fellow players who suffer from Guy at the Gym Syndrome.)

Would that be better than just grappling one and hitting it with a 1-h weapon?

JellyPooga
2020-10-07, 11:52 AM
Personally, I'd go with a BardBearian.

Bard gives you Expertise in both Athletics and Acrobatics, for swole gains as well as mobility/flexibility (every swole-bro knows that without mobility, bulk is just for show) as well as Jack of all Trades for an all-round work-out in all physical and mental activities. A true bro works his mind as much as his body, so later on you can snag some Expertise in Arcana, History or whatever lore speciality you like. No-one is as good a spotter and motivator as a Bard; Bardic Inspiration to push you for that extra mile of effort, as well as Song of Rest to really stretch out that sweet post-workout burn; never forget that it's as important to warm down as it is to warm up! Bard has you covered in case you need that little bit of an additional pick-me-up too; Enhance Ability takes effect immediately and is a clean, non-addictive supplement to your work-out routine and has a proven track-record of performance increase, no matter the muscle group or activity you're working on that day. Not to mention an entire suite of other magical enhancements to help improve your performance both in and out of the gym.

Barbarian not only gives you the endurance and resiliance to push your body (and mind) to the limits, but it also gives you the drive to really excel at the herculean feats of strength expected of the truly swole. Path of the Totem lets you indulge your animalistic and spiritual side, for the full body & soul workout, but also lets you tap the awesome strength of a fricken' bear, bruh! Double the lift equals double the gains, bruh! That's science.

da newt
2020-10-07, 12:15 PM
Flavor as Richard Simmons ...

Heavenblade
2020-10-07, 12:17 PM
Not totally related, but I had an idea for an ancestral guardian "jock" barbarian whose guardians are actually his coach who shouts at him workout/team sport cliche's....maybe you could do something like that?

micahaphone
2020-10-07, 12:41 PM
Also look up the Tavern Brawler feat if you want to do some fun grappling.

Or a cool combo is to grapple someone and drag them (half speed) into a damage over time effect setup by your allies. Grin at the enemy and tell them "I can take it longer than you can". The most horrifying usage being combo'd with Sickening Radiance.

NecessaryWeevil
2020-10-07, 04:08 PM
Would that be better than just grappling one and hitting it with a 1-h weapon?

Usually not, no. Whether it's more fun and in-character depends on you. ;)

Warlush
2020-10-08, 08:56 AM
Personally, I'd go with a BardBearian.

Bard gives you Expertise in both Athletics and Acrobatics, for swole gains as well as mobility/flexibility (every swole-bro knows that without mobility, bulk is just for show) as well as Jack of all Trades for an all-round work-out in all physical and mental activities. A true bro works his mind as much as his body, so later on you can snag some Expertise in Arcana, History or whatever lore speciality you like. No-one is as good a spotter and motivator as a Bard; Bardic Inspiration to push you for that extra mile of effort, as well as Song of Rest to really stretch out that sweet post-workout burn; never forget that it's as important to warm down as it is to warm up! Bard has you covered in case you need that little bit of an additional pick-me-up too; Enhance Ability takes effect immediately and is a clean, non-addictive supplement to your work-out routine and has a proven track-record of performance increase, no matter the muscle group or activity you're working on that day. Not to mention an entire suite of other magical enhancements to help improve your performance both in and out of the gym.

Barbarian not only gives you the endurance and resiliance to push your body (and mind) to the limits, but it also gives you the drive to really excel at the herculean feats of strength expected of the truly swole. Path of the Totem lets you indulge your animalistic and spiritual side, for the full body & soul workout, but also lets you tap the awesome strength of a fricken' bear, bruh! Double the lift equals double the gains, bruh! That's science.

Second all that. I had a bro who played a bro like this and it was a riot.