PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [PF1e] Help me create an inter-planar ship for my players!

EisenKreutzer
2020-10-06, 01:26 PM
My planes travelling campaign is going to take a nautical turn soon as the players are about to visit Freeport.
They have requested a base of operations or community that they can grow, care about and be attached to, and a ship seems like an ideal way of providing this.

So I plan on giving them access to a ship that is to become theirs. This ship is going to be able to travel between planes, but at the cost of investment and effort.
I’m not sure how to pull this off, so some suggestions and ideas would be welcome!

Heres what I want it to do:

I’d like this ship to be a base of operations and possibly a home.
Ideally the players should be able to upgrade and expand this ship somehow, possibly by investing gold, time and likely by going on missions.

I want this ship to be able to travel between the Plane of Shadow and the Prime Material at first, but ultimately it should be able to reach any plane of existence.
The planar travelling doesn’t have to be represented by rules or follow any established mechanics, as it’s largely a plot device. I was thinking of giving the ship special sails that can be attuned to planes of existence. Choosing which plane to travel to becomes a matter of swapping sails, which is a process that takes hours.

I’d like the NPC followers the players have to have significant roles on the ship, possibly providing bonuses to things like skill checks and tests related to the ship and travels.
I also want this ship to make the players want to find cool new NPC followers to hang around the characters and be the crew of this ship.

For reference, this is a City of 7 Seraphs campaign focused on travelling between Prime Material planes and visiting new, exciting cities.
What I’d love frok you guys are suggestions on how to make an upgradeable ship-base thats fun for the players to tinker with, and that encourages the characters to care about it and their NPC follower crewmates.

Any ideas?

iceifur
2020-10-06, 04:51 PM
Perhaps a modified version of the Silver Maiden (https://aonprd.com/MagicArtifactsDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Silver%20Maide n)?

It served us well in our campaign, but do note that it uses the Mythic rules.

EisenKreutzer
2020-10-06, 05:47 PM
Perhaps a modified version of the Silver Maiden (https://aonprd.com/MagicArtifactsDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Silver%20Maide n)?

It served us well in our campaign, but do note that it uses the Mythic rules.

Thanks for this! It hadn’t occured to me to check Mythic Adventures for ideas!