PDA

View Full Version : How does magic effect a Lich's phylactery?

eyebreaker7
2020-10-06, 08:08 PM
"The most common form of phylactery is a sealed metal box containing strips of parchment on which magical phrases have been transcribed."

Does an anti-magic field or ANY kind of magic/anti-magic effect a Lich's phylactery? If so what and how? You need to use Craft Wondrous Item to make it and as an example given above you use "strips of parchment on which magical phrases have been transcribed.".

I've done a little googling and see yeses and nos. "nos"? lol. How do you spells "nos" not nose. lol.

The entry for creating one says:

The Lich’s Phylactery
An integral part of becoming a lich is creating a magic phylactery in which the character stores its life force. As a rule, the only way to get rid of a lich for sure is to destroy its phylactery. Unless its phylactery is located and destroyed, a lich reappears 1d10 days after its apparent death.

Each lich must make its own phylactery, which requires the Craft Wondrous Item feat. The character must be able to cast spells and have a caster level of 11th or higher. The phylactery costs 120,000 gp and 4,800 XP to create and has a caster level equal to that of its creator at the time of creation.

The most common form of phylactery is a sealed metal box containing strips of parchment on which magical phrases have been transcribed. The box is Tiny and has 40 hit points, hardness 20, and a break DC of 40.

Other forms of phylacteries can exist, such as rings, amulets, or similar items.

It doesn't really go into any kind of explanation on creating it and what, if anything, will effect it.

I think I asked before but don't remember or see my post if I did, but can a vampire become a lich? The vampire type says Undead (Augmented Humanoid) and the ""Lich" is an acquired template that can be added to any humanoid creature"
I think I DID ask before and was told no.
Sorry for the repeat if I asked before. My memory is horrible.

Venger
2020-10-06, 08:15 PM
The answer to both of these questions is no. A lich's phylactery doesn't actually do anything, so there are no special powers for an amf to suppress. A vampire is an undead, so is not eligible for the lich template.

Biggus
2020-10-06, 10:36 PM
I've done a little googling and see yeses and nos. "nos"? lol. How do you spells "nos" not nose. lol.

"Noes", weirdly enough.

eyebreaker7
2020-10-06, 11:46 PM
Lol. Thanks. Now the nose noes!