PDA

View Full Version : does Tasha's make firbolgs the best race for rogue?

Rfkannen
2020-10-06, 09:57 PM
I was looking at the 5e races, and realized that with the race rules in adventures league season 10 (which I presume are the same as in tasha's) firbolgs make AMAZING rogues.

Asi; no longer relevant
firbolg magic; gives you detect magic and disguise self, both of which are AMAZING for a rogue. Find the loot, and pretend to be someone else while you grab it!
Hidden step: turning invisible is always fantastic for a rogue
powerful build: doubles the amount of loot you can carry
speech of beast and leaf: talk to your animal friends to get clues on heists, I bet the dukes pet dog knows where the duke keeps his stuff!

Lore wise it would be hilarious to play, I love the idea of a rogue who doesn't even know what gold is. Either go for a righteous assassin, a scout, or just someone who likes how gold is shiny! Also love the idea of someone 8 feet tall being super stealthy, I would play this character EXACTLY like kellam from fire emblem.

What do you think of firbolg rogues? Best rogue race? What subclass would fit?

OldTrees1
2020-10-07, 02:20 AM
A firbolg rogue does sound interesting. That detect magic is a bit too limited. Rogues prefer Detect Magic as a ritual.

Overall I don't think it is the "best" race for Rogue. You are down +1 ability and +2 skills compared to Half Elf in exchange for these goodies. However Firbolg Rogues are very viable and quite an interesting idea.

Wasp
2020-10-07, 02:30 AM
Yeah, it may not be the absolutely best race for a rogue, but definitely a fun one!

Since the lineage reveal I really want to play a Firbolg Scout, the image of a stealthy "giant" shooting crossbows from some hiding spot is just too much fun!

Edit: Regarding speech of beast and leaf - just don't expect too much as you can speak to them but you cannot understand them back. So the duke's dog may be able to guide you somewhere, but it cannot tell you anything.

BeefGood
2020-10-07, 08:10 PM
Firbolgs don’t have darkvision. That’s a big problem for a rogue.

Segev
2020-10-08, 01:59 AM
If using the feats U.A., a feat for Devil’s Sight the invocation can fix that handily at level 4.

Amnestic
2020-10-08, 03:10 AM
If using the feats U.A., a feat for Devil’s Sight the invocation can fix that handily at level 4.

Note that this only works for Arcane Tricksters. The feat requires either spellcasting or pact magic.

Gignere
2020-10-08, 07:58 AM
Note that this only works for Arcane Tricksters. The feat requires either spellcasting or pact magic.

I think racial spell casting counts too so it’ll work for firbolg.

jaappleton
2020-10-08, 08:02 AM

Spellcasting and Pact Magic are class features.

I totally understand where you're coming from, as 'racial spells are spells', its a logical argument and one I actually agree with.

However, for the purpose of rules, they don't qualify.

Segev
2020-10-08, 10:48 AM

Spellcasting and Pact Magic are class features.

I totally understand where you're coming from, as 'racial spells are spells', its a logical argument and one I actually agree with.

However, for the purpose of rules, they don't qualify.

I was going to argue that it does count, but the exact wording of the prerequisite is, "Spellcasting or Pact Magic feature." It's pretty clear that this is, grammatically, identical to "Spellcasting feature or Pact Magic feature," and that they wouldn't have needed to specify "or Pact Magic" if "spellcasting" just meant "the ability to cast spells."

So yeah, you need a class feature called "Spellcasting" or "Pact Magic" to take this feat, which makes my Yuan-ti Eagle-totem Barbarian with Devil's Sight build notion harder to pull off. Requires at least one multiclass level. The racial and Totem Warrior spells don't count as "Spellcasting" or as "Pact Magic."

Neither, technically, would Magic Initiate.

Randomthom
2020-10-08, 10:57 AM
Since the lineage reveal I really want to play a Firbolg Scout, the image of a stealthy "giant" shooting crossbows from some hiding spot is just too much fun!

You could call it Chewbacca...

Wasp
2020-10-09, 10:47 AM
you could call it chewbacca...
hhhrrwwwgg!!!