PDA

View Full Version : Cleric PrCs

Silly Name
2020-10-07, 06:33 AM
So, I'm building some NPCs for an organisation of Hextor worshippers, and right now I'm down to the priests and the big-head honcho, who will be the high priest of Hextor, and I'm looking for good build options for them.

Obviously, Ordained Champion is top of the list here, and at the very least the high priest will have all 5 levels. But I'm stuck as to what class(es) he may take later - I had thought about Contemplative for a grand total of five domains (two from cleric, War from OC, two more from Contemplative), which is pretty neat, but he loses a lot of BaB. Quickened Divine Power (using DMM, ofc) solves the issues, but I was wondering if there was a more thematically fitting class. Warpriest exists, but it loses way too much casting for my tastes.

Two other NPCs I need to build are a duergar, in charge of the forge and crafting of arms and armors for the knights of Hextor (Battlesmith could be an option here, I guess), plus another character (race undecided) who's the Head Necromancer, charged with supplying the elite knights with undead hordes and protecting the fortress of the cult.

So, to recap

Human Cleric/Ordained Champion/???, ECL 18

Duergar magic item crafter, probably Cleric/Battlesmith, ECL 12

[UNDECIDED] necromancer of some sort, ECL 15

I'm not looking for anything terribly OP or optimised to hell and back - I can handwave material and exp costs as long as they aren't too outrageous, and those characters should still be reasonably defeated by a party that's low-to-mid optimisation (although, of course, they'll 99% be surrounded by minions that make the fight harder). Suggestions for cool magic items (even custom ones) are also welcome.

Also please no artificer for the duergar - I know it's exactly built for crafting magic items, but I've established that artifice is a novel invention and restricted to only a few geographical areas.

Anthrowhale
2020-10-07, 07:44 AM

Hospitaler is a full-BAB class with 3/4 casting. Knight of the Raven is full BAB with 9/10th casting.

Silly Name
2020-10-07, 07:48 AM
Hospitaler is a full-BAB class with 3/4 casting. Knight of the Raven is full BAB with 9/10th casting.

Hospitaler may be an interesting choice, but Knight of the Raven is sadly incompatible due to alignment restrictions.

Venger
2020-10-07, 07:50 AM
Take heretic of the faith.

Anthrowhale
2020-10-07, 07:53 AM
Hospitaler may be an interesting choice, but Knight of the Raven is sadly incompatible due to alignment restrictions.

Good point.

So, the good guys get Knight of the Raven and Fist of Raziel and Non-humanoids get Hexer, but there isn't something directly addressing bad guys with BAB and (near) full casting.

Maybe use DMM[Persist] on Divine Power?

Silly Name
2020-10-07, 07:53 AM
Take heretic of the faith.

I don't really think it makes sense for the High Priest of Hextor to be not in line with the dogma of his church. Plus he's meant to be pretty undeniably Lawful Evil.

Good point.
So, the good guys get Knight of the Raven and Fist of Raziel and Non-humanoids get Hexer, but there isn't something directly addressing bad guys with BAB and (near) full casting.

Maybe use DMM[Persist] on Divine Power?

Technically Ordained Champion is meant for Hextor worshippers, but it's not Evil only, and the class description notes that there are a few worshippers of Heironeous among their ranks.

Persisting Divine Power is an option, and honestly the Contemplative has more goodies than the Hospitaler. I may try to put them both in the build for the extra fighter feat, I'll have to see what works best.

Particle_Man
2020-10-07, 01:10 PM
Do you need a prestige class for a cleric necromancer? They have rebuke undead and lots of undead friendly cleric spells right out of the box. Liberia Mortis has some spells and feats you could go for.

Silly Name
2020-10-07, 01:27 PM
Do you need a prestige class for a cleric necromancer? They have rebuke undead and lots of undead friendly cleric spells right out of the box. Liberia Mortis has some spells and feats you could go for.

Not strictly, no, but I would like to give her some extra goodies on top of the usual cleric package, or at the very least cool ways to use undead.

I may go simply Dread Necromancer for her, with feats to boost her undead creations.

Toliudar
2020-10-07, 04:26 PM
Given the existence of the Divine Power spell, I wouldn't make a high BAB a priority for the prestige class.

bean illus
2020-10-07, 05:11 PM
There aren't any high bab, full casters amongst clerics.

You could fluff church inquisitor to lawful evil. They have a lot of good class abilities.

Ordained champion doesn't scream high priest to me, full CASTER does. But, depending on which level, ...

fighter 2/ cloistered cleric 3/divine oracle 1/ ordained champion 4(5?)

... makes a pretty good fighter/cleric.

Maybe your #2 guy? You get know devo, 4 fighter feats, heavy armor and martial weapons, enlarge person, quicken war domain, and your feats are open.

Look at power attack, leap attack, divine might, and brutal strike. Wisdom 14, cha 16, battle field control and buff spells, straight melee. Leave the high save DC for the top guy.