PDA

View Full Version : RPG Puzzle with mystery, role-play and a plot hook? Introducing Elaine aka "Pie Lady"

wallyd2
2020-10-07, 09:13 AM
Good morning adventurers! Hope you don't mind, but I wanted to share my newest Pathfinder / RPG puzzle idea: D&D Puzzles - Pie Lady (https://youtu.be/Ui9rLFpWNLw)

Here's the basic idea: Today our adventurers are at a festival and seek out the legendary pomegranate pie made by local baker, Elaine. However, when they find Elaine's stand at the festival the last piece of pie has already been sold.

No worries, she promises to send a fresh baked pie to the Inn they are staying at. A few hours later, the pie is there, as promised along with an encrypted container holding a secret item or message. Perhaps there is a message on how to open the container hidden within her hand written message to the party?

I don't want to give any spoilers the video itself is only six minutes long... curious on whether or not you were able to solve it. Let me know what you think. Hope you like it! :-)

Silly Name
2020-10-07, 09:44 AM
It's a good and fun little puzzle. Pretty easy if you hand your players an handwritten note and the key words are bolded, though. On the other hand, it can get noticeably harder without this visual clue because the players may not make the connection immediately.

If you want to up the difficulty, maybe add a line at the end that makes reference to numbers in letters, although it could be quite conspicuous.

My one complaint is that this sort of play-on-words based puzzle has the fault of not being usable if you don't play in English. The idea itself is neat, but finding an equivalent in one's native tongue can be extremely hard and even if possible demands the entire note gets written back up from scratch.