PDA

View Full Version : 5 freebie spells for Sorcerers

Dalebert
2020-10-07, 10:39 PM
A house rule that’s taken off in my circles is giving sorcerers 5 extra spells that are thematic to their archetype. We agree on 2 spells per level for spell levels 1 through 5 and the sorcerer gets to pick one of each of these pairs to be known without counting against their total. Much like clerical domain spells, these spells don’t necessarily have to all come from the sorcerer list but count as a sorcerer spell for this caster. The one they don’t choose as their freebie is still added to their spell list and can be chosen with one of their other spells known slots if they like. Thus by level 9, the sorcerer will know 5 more spells.

I’ve created lists for other archetypes but I’m playing a shadow sorcerer now so I figured I’d use that as my first example. It includes some new home brew sorcerer spells.

1st level:
Shadowy Rebuke
Shadow Strike

2nd level:
Blindness/Deafness
Shadow Blade
(Note: Darkness is already known as a freebie in their standard class features)

3rd level:
Summon Shadowspawn
Vampiric Touch

4th level:
Evard’s Black Tentacles
Shadow of Moil
Alternative: Conjure Shadow Demon (UA - Black Magic)

5th level:
Dream
Enervation

Shadowy Rebuke
1st level Necromancy
Casting Time: One reaction which you take in response to being damaged by one creature within 60 feet that you can see.
Range: 60 feet
Components: V S
Duration: Instantaneous
Classes: Sorcerer

You point your finger, and the creature that damaged you is momentarily engulfed in dark shadows. The creature must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save it takes 2d6 necrotic damage and is blinded until the end of your next turn as the shadows continue to engulf them. It takes half as much damage on a successful one and is not blinded.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1st.

Shadow Strike
1st level Conjuration
Casting Time: One action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V S
Duration: Instantaneous
Class: Sorcerer, Wizard, Warlock

The creature you target is attacked by its own shadow as it is briefly embued with the wrath of a vengeful spirit. Make a melee spell attack roll as if you were adjacent to the target. The attack is made at disadvantage if the target is in direct sunlight. On a hit the target takes 2d6 necrotic damage and must make a constitution saving throw. On a failure, the target also takes 1d4 strength damage which returns when the target takes a short or long rest.
At Higher Levels: When cast at a higher level, the necrotic damage increases by 2d6 per level beyond the first.