PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Trickster Multiclass

T2334
2020-10-08, 10:33 AM
Hi all,

I知 currently playing a 5th level Arcane Trickster. Or campaign will probably go to 11. I was thinking of multiclassing into Ranger- Gloom Stalker. I was debating whether I should do it after level 8 AT (expertise, evasion and ASI) and then 3 levels of Ranger or should I go Ranger straight away? I知 relatively new to DND so any and all input would be appreciated!

cutlery
2020-10-08, 11:26 AM
Hi all,

I知 currently playing a 5th level Arcane Trickster. Or campaign will probably go to 11. I was thinking of multiclassing into Ranger- Gloom Stalker. I was debating whether I should do it after level 8 AT (expertise, evasion and ASI) and then 3 levels of Ranger or should I go Ranger straight away? I知 relatively new to DND so any and all input would be appreciated!

The question is: what do you want out of gloom stalker? If it's just dread ambusher; I'd consider skipping it, heading to 8th and taking something like Alert as your ASI. If it is dread ambusher, medium armor and shields, and later extra attack, I'd start now and take it all the way to 5th. The extra attack is a significant change, and more attacks mean more opportunities to land a sneak attack in any given round. I'd probably go back to rogue after GS 5.

Extra attack (at 5th) will prove of more use over the long term than the extra attack from Dread Ambusher - and it also stacks with it (so you'll have three attacks in the first round at gloomstalker 5/rogue 5)

If GS3 is all you have planned, I'd stick with rogue for more sneak attack dice and spell progression; you'll be putting off 2nd level rogue spells by multiclassing before 7th.

Keravath
2020-10-08, 11:32 AM
What race is your arcane trickster? Do you usually play a ranged role or melee skirmisher?

One of the perks of gloomstalker ranger is darkvision at third level. If you don't have darkvision and no one in the party can cast it on you then that might be a consideration. The other perks are invisibility in darkness to creatures using darkvision to see you and an extra attack in the first round of combat. There is definitely a lot of synergy with a rogue but with a game that you expect to go to level 11/12. I'm not sure that it is worth it for what you are giving up.

However, going with a gloomstalker multiclass gives up a fair bit for an arcane trickster.

At level 10, the rogue gets an extra ASI and at level 11 they get Reliable talent which is a big improvement for skills usage. At level 9, a trickster gets the ability to hide and cast a spell giving opponents disadvantage on the saving throws as long as the rogue succeeds on the stealth roll. Although the rogue DC may not be that high depending on their intelligence, disadvantage on saving throws can make offensive spells much more effective. Finally, at level 7, the rogue gets second level spells which could include shadow blade which is situationally a very effect melee weapon for a rogue.

So the question is really what you want to get out of the multiclass and is it worth giving up the benefits of rogue 9-11?

P.S. Another multiclass to consider depending on your intelligence and race might be a couple of levels of wizard. It offers ritual casting spells, higher level spell slots, and an archetype. Bladesinger has features that mesh well with a rogue and increase your AC while war wizard can improve saving throws once between short rests and enhance initiative. Both options can give access to the shield spell and other good low level spell options though the scarcity of spell slots for an arcane trickster is always a consideration.

P.P.S. I also agree with the suggestion that GS 5 would be a good consideration. The extra attack feature gives more opportunities to land sneak attack as well as a few extra spell slots. Pass without trace can synergize well with a sneaky rogue.

Nhorianscum
2020-10-08, 01:18 PM
Hi all,

Magical ambush, the third ASI, and reliable talent are all incredible abilities and are a big part of what makes AT as strong as it is.

Ambush is a must have by any metric. A 2 level dip can be good for levels 10-11 but only if it offers more than an ASI+talent.

I would personally never take gloomstalker here.

Lyracian
2020-10-08, 03:45 PM
I usually just take a level of Wizard at six to get the full Spellbook and Ritual casting. You can swap your known spells out for more 2nd Level spells once you get them.

Ir0ns0ul
2020-10-08, 06:55 PM
I usually just take a level of Wizard at six to get the full Spellbook and Ritual casting. You can swap your known spells out for more 2nd Level spells once you get them.

I agree with Lyracian. 2 levels of Wizard will increase your spell casting capacity big time and if you choose a good combative school, you can improve your overall defense and offense as well. A common weakness of Rogue is saving throws and War Magic can cover this. If you are an elf or you DM alleviate the restriction, Bladesinger is outstanding as well.

Gtdead
2020-10-09, 04:14 AM
I am a fan of adding warlock levels to the rogue due to their ways to generate advantage. Used to go for 3 warlock, but luckily we've got hexblade now so just one level is fine.

Rogue scales really well with advantage because it increases his chances to land the sneak attack, and crit with it. Hexblade offers both advantage and increased crit chance and you can always grab a few more levels for darkness+devil sight, and start using your bonus action for offense.

Considering that rogue is the natural scout of the party, there should be many opportunities to prebuff.

However I have to say that AT is a great standalone rogue, and becomes very powerful at lvl 13 with haste. However I believe that in order to actually use hide in combat, a ranged build must be used and sometimes the DMs don't like this whole "hiding every turn" business, which is why warlock is such an attractive option.