PDA

View Full Version : Curing Exhaustion

carrdrivesyou
2020-10-08, 12:01 PM
So, as far as I can tell, there are only three ways of removing exhaustion:
1. Long Rest - 1 level at a time
2. Greater Restoration - one at a time
3. A very rare potion - all levels at once

My understanding is that exhaustion was designed to be a severely debilitating effect, and hard to get rid of. Since 5e's inception, and the many books since, no other ways of removing levels of exhaustion have come to light.

Without house rules, are these the only ways of removing exhaustion levels?

Amdy_vill
2020-10-08, 12:05 PM
i don't believe their is any other way of removing it. personally i feel the Exhaustion is an under use mechanic, both in vary few ways to gain it and get remove it. their should also be ways of weaponizing it.

Sigreid
2020-10-08, 12:09 PM
Well, there's a wish spell. But that's just greater restoration really.

In one module I let my party bargain with a devil for it. :D

nickl_2000
2020-10-08, 12:10 PM
Necklace of Prayer Beads also can give Greater Restoration
A Moon Druid who turns into an elemental is immune to exhaustion while they are the elemental.

Keltest
2020-10-08, 12:11 PM
Exhaustion tends to be my go to Bad Stuff(tm) for any sort of failed physical challenge. It hurts all classes fairly equally and is bad to have without being immediately debilitating, and it doesnt require any particular action to get rid of.

carrdrivesyou
2020-10-08, 12:15 PM
As for weaponizing it, Sickening Radiance is the only spell that causes levels of exhaustion on a failed save; no class features or feats give levels of exhaustion as a weapon.

sithlordnergal
2020-10-08, 03:21 PM
And so you have stumbled on why people consider the Berserker to be a bad subclass. Those are the only ways to remove Exhaustion without some sort of homebrew rule to make it easier, and Exhaustion is the most debilitating effect in 5e, bar none.

greenstone
2020-10-08, 07:58 PM
1. Long Rest - 1 level at a time
To be picky, it requires a long rest during which you have some food and drink.

Sigreid
2020-10-08, 08:22 PM
To be picky, it requires a long rest during which you have some food and drink.

Haven't read the rule in a while, but I think you can't have a long rest without food and drink.

I'm also sitting here thinking that exhaustion levels are a better way of handling poisons and diseases if you really want them to be something the party worries about.

Asisreo1
2020-10-08, 08:40 PM
Be cautious of exhaustion. It can be extremely debilitating.

That said, as a DM, you have quite a few ways to impose this if they aren't careful. There's extreme weather, frigid water, not taking a rest (if you're using xanathar's long rest variant), psychic dissonance (which is one of the few times alignment comes into play), Mad Winds (especially punishing since the player simply can't remove this exhaustion through any means without escaping the winds), Vile Transformation (which cannot be removed without escaping the whole plane), diseases and poisons.

Naturally a DM is free to impose exhaustion through their own means, but these are a few more RAW ways to throw exhaustion at the players.

Mr Adventurer
2020-10-09, 05:39 AM
What's psychic dissonance?

nickl_2000
2020-10-09, 06:37 AM
What's psychic dissonance?

Optional Rule in the DMG (pg 59)

Effectively, if you are a Lawful Creature on a Chaotic Plane at the end of a long rest you need to make a save or gain a level of exhaustion.

Mr Adventurer
2020-10-09, 06:51 AM

Effectively, if you are a Lawful Creature on a Chaotic Plane at the end of a long rest you need to make a save or gain a level of exhaustion.

Cool, thanks

Crucius
2020-10-09, 07:25 AM

Blessed are the people that put page numbers with their answers! +1d4 for you in your life!

Draz74
2020-10-09, 08:20 AM
The Variant Class Features UA Ranger has the Tireless feature that allows losing a level of exhaustion with a short rest.

Tasha's will probably make something similar official (although Tireless as-written was way too good at very low levels, so I won't be surprised if it gets nerfed somehow).

Vogie
2020-10-09, 01:07 PM
I have Exhaustion as the side effect of dropping to 0 HP in my games. You drop and come back, great - but now you have 1 level of exhaustion. It effectively turns death saves into saves vs more exhaustion - bumping up the "death saves" from 3 to 6.

While I started it to give parties that were low on healing a fighting chance to save themselves, it turned out to be still useful when the party is flush with healing - suddenly they're eyeing their wounded and spending spell slots on healing out of combat to avoid bodies hitting the floor.

It accidentally also got rid of the "yo-yo" style of healing that RAW 5e uses, because the party doesn't want their barbarian to be limping along and having to attack recklessly just to overcome their own attack disadvantage because they're at Exhaustion 3.

Pex
2020-10-09, 01:42 PM
I have Exhaustion as the side effect of dropping to 0 HP in my games. You drop and come back, great - but now you have 1 level of exhaustion. It effectively turns death saves into saves vs more exhaustion - bumping up the "death saves" from 3 to 6.

While I started it to give parties that were low on healing a fighting chance to save themselves, it turned out to be still useful when the party is flush with healing - suddenly they're eyeing their wounded and spending spell slots on healing out of combat to avoid bodies hitting the floor.

It accidentally also got rid of the "yo-yo" style of healing that RAW 5e uses, because the party doesn't want their barbarian to be limping along and having to attack recklessly just to overcome their own attack disadvantage because they're at Exhaustion 3.

Do you mean a character is still conscious able to act? If so this is interesting.

Vogie
2020-10-09, 02:22 PM
Do you mean a character is still conscious able to act? If so this is interesting.

I'm not sure to what you're referring - when a character hits 0, they're still unconscious. I just use exhaustion as a sort of 'lingering wounds" that the PCs have to deal with, without adding a new separate mechanic. Instead of dying at 3 failed death saving throws, you die at 6 levels of exhaustion.

Sigreid
2020-10-09, 11:35 PM
I'm not sure to what you're referring - when a character hits 0, they're still unconscious. I just use exhaustion as a sort of 'lingering wounds" that the PCs have to deal with, without adding a new separate mechanic. Instead of dying at 3 failed death saving throws, you die at 6 levels of exhaustion.

This is a similar idea to what I posted above about thinking using exhaustion for some diseases and poisons to make them scary and debilitating without having to do a new mechanic. I kind of like it.

JackPhoenix
2020-10-10, 10:00 AM

That sounds like it's impossible to die without falling unconscious 5 times first, though.

Mr Adventurer
2020-10-10, 10:05 AM
That sounds like it's impossible to die without falling unconscious 5 times first, though.

How so? Looks like you fall unconscious at 0hp (+1 exhaustion), then start making death saving throws. Each death saving throw failure adds 1 exhaustion. You therefore die after 5 failed death saving throws (or fewer if you already have exhaustion, per the exhaustion rules whenever you reach 6 levels), not 3 as in the default rules. You don't need to revive first.

Valmark
2020-10-10, 12:10 PM

So they prefer not having the barbarian at all? Seems weird. If anything, it feels like it should increase yo-yo healing, since leaving people at 0 means they risk getting worse each round.

Sigreid
2020-10-10, 12:15 PM
So they prefer not having the barbarian at all? Seems weird. If anything, it feels like it should increase yo-yo healing, since leaving people at 0 means they risk getting worse each round.

I believe the implication was that they take measures to keep the barbarian from hitting 0.

Keltest
2020-10-10, 12:17 PM

I mean personally, my group tends to take party members getting KOed as a sign that its time for a long rest anyway. A cleric/druid/bard burning all their spell slots on healing to make sure the barbarian doesnt just get swatted to death again means were functionally down a party member either way.

Sigreid
2020-10-10, 12:19 PM
I mean personally, my group tends to take party members getting KOed as a sign that its time for a long rest anyway. A cleric/druid/bard burning all their spell slots on healing to make sure the barbarian doesnt just get swatted to death again means were functionally down a party member either way.

I don't play in his group, but it's also possible they have modified their tactics to reduce incoming damage.

Vogie
2020-10-11, 02:18 PM
I believe the implication was that they take measures to keep the barbarian from hitting 0.

Precisely. One of the groups just hit the level to use Greater Restoration, and they still want to keep their diamonds for the other non-exhaustion reasons.

Even thought the Barbarian is a Zealot Barbarian, so it takes no materials to rez her, they still don't want to burn through materials to keep her from dragging her feet.