PDA

View Full Version : Help with a homebrew world mega build Min/Max

Mandarin
2020-10-08, 04:03 PM
Alright here is the gist.

I get one character, but can have multiple classes from that one character. My character carries over total proficiency (level 4 bard, level 2 fighter... then my level 1 druid would have +3 proficiency) and I get 4 extra hp for each class level. I also keep my racial traits, feats carry over as well.

My big question... WHICH RACE/feats? I plan on rolling MAINLY warlock, I just love the class... specifically pact of the chain. But I also want to roll an arcane trickster and moon druid.

Stats rolled are pretty great. 13, 13, 15, 15, 15, 16. Thinking human to move all those up and have a 17 CHA to boot... maybe take actor at level 4 to get CHA to 18, ASI into CHA at level 8....?

My warlock is big on collecting information, using the imp to steal and infiltrate... and stealing identities. Thinking maybe the Charlatan background?

Help me nerd army, I know I am missing some gimmick.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I also get to move my stats when I change class... like move my CHA to DEX when I go from Warlock to Rogue.

Dork_Forge
2020-10-08, 04:16 PM
Are you talking about multiclassing or something else? It kind of sounds like you're talking about converting an older character, but what you want and the rules you're playing by aren't really clear.

Mandarin
2020-10-08, 04:39 PM
Are you talking about multiclassing or something else? It kind of sounds like you're talking about converting an older character, but what you want and the rules you're playing by aren't really clear.

No multiclassing. You get one character, but that one character can have many stand alone classes...

For instance. I might start as a lvl 1 halfling druid... and level up all the way to 5.

Then, I can roll a paladin with that same character. I lose everything from those levels of druid... but keep the proficiency bonus.

So I would be a level 6 character, but now a level 1 paladin. I am allowed to switch between classes as often as I like. When I do I can move the stats around to make sense... for the instance above, I might switch my wisdom and charisma. I also get 4 hp for each character level... so my level 1 paladin... since his character level is 6.. would start with an extra 24 hp, and 3 proficiency instead of 2.

Dork_Forge
2020-10-09, 09:09 AM
So you'd be advancing a game, then starting all over again? Your campaign progress would reset with the character?

intregus
2020-10-09, 09:30 AM
No multiclassing. You get one character, but that one character can have many stand alone classes...

For instance. I might start as a lvl 1 halfling druid... and level up all the way to 5.

Then, I can roll a paladin with that same character. I lose everything from those levels of druid... but keep the proficiency bonus.

So I would be a level 6 character, but now a level 1 paladin. I am allowed to switch between classes as often as I like. When I do I can move the stats around to make sense... for the instance above, I might switch my wisdom and charisma. I also get 4 hp for each character level... so my level 1 paladin... since his character level is 6.. would start with an extra 24 hp, and 3 proficiency instead of 2.

I'm confused? Why would you ever want to roll a new class if you lose all your class features?

For example in this case you level to 5 as a druid but then you'd lose all your druid Ness at level 6 because you took a paladin level, so do you keep the hp from the previous levels along with what your proficiency would be for a level 6 character?

This seems like you're strictly a worse off paladin1 at character level 6 than a druid 5 or druid 6. This seems very complicated and pointless

Brawnspear
2020-10-09, 08:43 PM
So, are we talking New Game+ type of thing, or a Final Fantasy Class system where you are a level 5 paladin, a level 2 warlock or a level 9 wizard depending on what hat you put on, and the sum total of all your levels is what determines your proficiency bonus?

In either situation above, it sounds like you get 4 extra hit points per class level that you are not actively playing.

If we are wanting to break this and you get to keep feats, knowing a little more about the level up mechanics would be useful. My assumption is for the Final Fantasy style.

If you are leveling up based on straight experience and you count as the level of the current class you are playing for calculations (Level 1 paladin taking the same amount to level up to Paladin level 2 regardless of how many other levels you have) I'd suggest spreading out the level 1s and 2s as much as possible. Get that proficiency modifier and hp up! There are 13 classes and it costs less to get them all to level 2 than it does to get 1 class to level 5. That's +5 proficiency and 48 more HP.

This is of course assuming you don't get a benefit for being Level 1 in a class you aren't actively playing.

There's also the question of cantrips, do they scale with your total level or just your class level? If total level go a race that can pick up a cantrip and let the scaling shine. High elf, Genasi, Tiefling, Variant Human with either the Spell sniper (since feats carry over from your initial spell casting class) or Magic Initiate feats. Feel like a warlock no matter what class you are when you have your trusty 3 beam eldritch blast!

Do artificer magic infusions carry over? Level 2 artificer gives you 2 of them, you may not be able to change them when you aren't Mr Builder, but they last until you cast them again, die, or lose knowledge of them (which may happen when you swap classes)

For feats, Fighters and Rogues get extra, so they are helpful if you want more feats to run around with at all times.

Still assuming you are hot-swappable, a level 2 rogue with +5 proficiency is still great at the exploration / social tier. You have 2 expertise and the delicious bonus action. A level 2 bard gets jack of all trades. Clerics, Artificers, Druids, Wizards, Bards all get ritual casting. Clerics get they're channel divinity (can be very useful in certain situations depending on which one you go, knowledge cleric lets you learn any skill / tool for 10 minutes and you also have 2 more knowledge skills that you gain expertise in). Paladins get lay on hands for minor healing and curing poison / disease. Fighter gets second wind for some minor healing.

If you're going the other way where you have to start over every time, you can do this too, if you just want to grind up some extra hp and proficiency before starting your real class.

If each Level costs more, regardless of class level and you always have access to the classes given enough time to prepare, I'd say the best bangs for your buck are rogue for exploration or social, paladin, one or two ritual classes, and your main class, but at that point you are giving up late level main class abilities for likely less hp and a less accessible version of multi classing.

All in all this seems very odd and I am curious as to the specifics since it is so far outside the norm for how D&D generally works.