PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] "Monk Abilities"

Thurbane
2020-10-08, 05:22 PM
So, a lot of PrCs (Cloud Anchorite, Disciple of the Word, Dragon Descendant, Enlightened Fist, Fist of Hadoken, Haztaratain, Henshin Mystic, Initiate of Pistis Sophia, Monk of the Enabled Hand, Monk of the Long Death, Shadow Sun Ninja, Shintao Monk, Sun Soul Monk, Tattooed Monk, Zerth Cenobite etc.) advance existing "Monk abilities", usually some combo of unarmed damage, flurry of blows, AC bonus and/or speed bonus.

My question is this: is there a RAW method to get "Monk abilities" that can be advanced, without levels in Monk?

I think due to the wording it only works on abilities granted by class levels, so Monk's Belt probably woudn't work.

Preferably not using adaptations/optional rules like Unarmed Swordsage, or relying on DM fiat. The Druid variant from UA that gets Monk AC and speed bonus might count, I guess.

Monk of the Enabled Hand gains abilities (flurry of blows, unarmed damage, AC bonus, speed bonus) as a Monk of their class level, so that should work. Henshin Mystic works similarly, but only for unarmed damage, AC bonus, and speed. I should probably check the wording of more of the PrCs.

Assume this is for an Iron Chef entry, in terms of sources and RAW.

Cheers - T

mabriss lethe
2020-10-08, 05:48 PM
Tattooed monk, iirc, You don't need anything monk specific to get in, can mimic most of their abilities with tattoos, and their AC, unarmed damage, and speed are called out as stacking with monk. So, as written I'm pretty sure a nonmonkX/tattooed monk Y would have the AC, Unarmed, and Speed of a Monk Y. If other prcs are worded the same, you could pull it off with any of them. but honestly, my 3.5 is a bit rusty, so I could be mistaken.

Silly Name
2020-10-08, 05:59 PM
Depends on the exact wording, I think? The question is whether the PrC grants a feature that stacks with monk abilities, or whether it advances preexisting features.

Basically, the difference between "+1 to existing spellcaster class", which would advance nothing if you already aren't a caster, and Sneak Attack progression from various PrCs, which does explicitly stack with other sources of Sneak Attack but still confers Sneak Attack even if you didn't already have it.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-10-08, 06:07 PM
Tashalatora advances certain monk abilities by taking the chosen manifesting class, even if you don't have any monk.

Of course, a level or two in monk is totally worth it, because monk is an excellent dip, generally.

ShurikVch
2020-10-08, 06:43 PM
Bunch of solutions from Savage Species:
Symbiotic Creature template
Emancipated Spawn (2 levels)
Illithid Savant (+Monk victim)