PDA

View Full Version : Wildhunt Shifter and offsetting dis/advantage

x3n0n
2020-10-08, 09:36 PM
The second half of Wildhunt Shifter's shifting feature is "no creature within 30 feet of you can make an attack roll with advantage against you, unless you’re incapacitated."

Others have already discussed how good this is with Reckless Attack.

I'm trying to decide how it interacts with situations where there are offsetting advantage and disadvantage, like melee attacks where both combatants are unseen by the other. Normally, the attacker has advantage for being unseen and disadvantage for not being able to see the target, leading to a straight roll.

If the target is a shifted Wildhunt, should the attack be made as a straight roll or at disadvantage?

Unfortunately, I think the answer is straight roll. Contrast Alert's relevant clause: "Other creatures don’t gain advantage on attack rolls against you as a result of being unseen by you.", while the shifting ability only cares about the attack roll, not sources of advantage.

Feathercrown
2020-10-08, 09:55 PM
I think the attack is made normally; it's not that they can't gain advantage against you, but that their attacks against you can't be made at advantage. Since they aren't attacking you at advantage, the ability does not change the attack at all.

MaxWilson
2020-10-08, 10:03 PM
The second half of Wildhunt Shifter's shifting feature is "no creature within 30 feet of you can make an attack roll with advantage against you, unless you’re incapacitated."

Others have already discussed how good this is with Reckless Attack.

I'm trying to decide how it interacts with situations where there are offsetting advantage and disadvantage, like melee attacks where both combatants are unseen by the other. Normally, the attacker has advantage for being unseen and disadvantage for not being able to see the target, leading to a straight roll.

If the target is a shifted Wildhunt, should the attack be made as a straight roll or at disadvantage?

Unfortunately, I think the answer is straight roll. Contrast Alert's relevant clause: "Other creatures don’t gain advantage on attack rolls against you as a result of being unseen by you.", while the shifting ability only cares about the attack roll, not sources of advantage.

I concur with spoiler.

Crucius
2020-10-09, 08:13 AM
I think the logic flow goes as follows:

Does the roll have advantage and/or disadvantage? -> Both, thus straight roll ->Check against Wildhunt feature -> It's a straight roll, thus the feature does not apply.

Even though the target HAS disadvantage, it does not ROLL with disadvantage, therefore the feature does not apply (sadly).