PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Wyrm of War (maneuver variant) sovereign dragon archetype

rrwoods
2020-10-09, 11:42 AM
Okay, what? The idea is cool, but there's a line of text here that doesn't make sense to me:

"Treat the dragon's sorcerer level as his initiator level when determining known and readied stances and maneuvers."

There's no mention of which initiator class you're basing this on; separately, there's text about what the dragon must actually do to learn a maneuver or stance:

"To learn a maneuver or stance, a dragon must permanently sacrifice a sorcerer spell slot of the same level."

So... huh? How, exactly, do you use the "initiator level" when "determining" known and readied stances and maneuvers? Each initiator class has different numbers of known/readied stances and maneuvers, so without mentioning which initiator you base this on, "initiator level" doesn't actually mean much here (and two classes get access to Tiger Claw so the discipline restriction isn't of help here either). My inclination is to pretend the first quoted sentence here just doesn't exist at all, and say that the dragon can make this (irreversible) choice any time they gain a level. If they wanted to, they could sacrifice every spell slot they ever get to learn maneuvers.

lightningcat
2020-10-09, 12:13 PM
They likely changed ideas halfway through.
Use "Treat the dragon's sorcerer level as his initiator level." along with the choice of either learning a spell or maneuver, and you should be good.

rrwoods
2020-10-09, 12:19 PM
Yeah that's kind of what I figured. Sorcerer progression is slower than martial manuever progression anyway (access to 2nds at 4th rather than 3rd, for example) so in terms of selecting maneuvers you can basically ignore it completely, since this means the spell slot you sacrifice will necessarily be of a level that makes sense. Then for the few effects in Tiger Claw that ask for your IL (I'm not even sure there are any) you can use effective sorcerer level there.