PDA

View Full Version : Offhand weapon mod

T2334
2020-10-09, 06:15 PM
Outside of a fighting style, is there another way to add your damage modifier to an offhand weapon?

JackPhoenix
2020-10-09, 06:19 PM
No.

Though if the "no ability modifier to damage" thing only applies when you use TWF bonus action. If you have Extra Attack or similar feature, you can make each of your attacks with a different weapon, and apply the modifier as normal.

x3n0n
2020-10-09, 06:26 PM
Outside of a fighting style, is there another way to add your damage modifier to an offhand weapon?

Non-enhanced two-weapon fighting is nearly the only thing that *doesn't* add your damage modifier.

If you're asking "what will add my damage modifier for the bonus action attack granted by TWF", then it's just the fighting style. (Likely coming in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything is a feat that gives you a fighting style without getting it through your class.)

If you're asking about other ways to get bonus action attacks that add your damage modifier, the two most popular that don't require class features are the Crossbow Expert and Polearm Master feats.

Aett_Thorn
2020-10-09, 07:01 PM
I mean, you could be a Warlock with Lifedrinker and use your pact weapon in your off hand. But that seems sub-optimal.

Darc_Vader
2020-10-10, 01:02 AM
I mean, you could be a Warlock with Lifedrinker and use your pact weapon in your off hand. But that seems sub-optimal.

This might just be the weirdest way I’ve heard to get mod to damage on off-hand attacks.

clash
2020-10-10, 01:16 AM
I mean if it doesn't have to be strictly weapons, monk martial arts functions similar to two weapon fighting style.

Vorpalchicken
2020-10-10, 01:28 AM
Use Extra attack instead of TWF. Then use your bonus action for something worthwhile.

DracoKnight
2020-10-10, 02:35 PM

You’d be better off using your pact weapon in your main hand and having a Shadow Blade spell in your offhand. Then the extra dice offset the lack of ability mod.

Segev
2020-10-10, 03:33 PM
It's not adding your ability mod, but Barbarians' rage damage gets added to all melee weapon attacks, including the bonus action attack for TWFing. A dexbarian might particularly like this.

Valmark
2020-10-10, 04:14 PM
It's not adding your ability mod, but Barbarians' rage damage gets added to all melee weapon attacks, including the bonus action attack for TWFing. A dexbarian might particularly like this.

All melee weapon attacks that use Strenght.

No brains
2020-10-10, 04:53 PM
Even without the ability modifier behind it, a paladin smite from an offhand attack would still hurt.

Segev
2020-10-10, 06:25 PM
All melee weapon attacks that use Strenght.

Ah, my mistake. So still needs strength as your damage stat to get rage damage. But it does apply rage damage to the off-hand attack, nonetheless.

JackPhoenix
2020-10-11, 06:14 AM
You’d be better off using your pact weapon in your main hand and having a Shadow Blade spell in your offhand. Then the extra dice offset the lack of ability mod.

It doesn't matter what are you using for the off-hand attack. The lost damage is always the same.

Aett_Thorn
2020-10-11, 07:12 AM
This might just be the weirdest way I’ve heard to get mod to damage on off-hand attacks.

Well then you’re welcome

Segev
2020-10-11, 11:54 AM
Yeah, since Lifedrinker actually adds your Charisma Modifier as necrotic damage, rather than replacing your normal stat modifier you'd apply for damage, you're still losing damage on the off-hand attack, even with it.

DracoKnight
2020-10-12, 12:37 AM
It doesn't matter what are you using for the off-hand attack. The lost damage is always the same.

The Shadow Blade spell does 2d8 damage at base and the weapon it creates is eligible for TWFing. If you use it as your offhand weapon, the extra 4.5 of the second d8 is roughly equivalent to your damage modifier from your ability score. And the number of dice only goes up with spell level. So, no, you’re not getting ability mod, but it kind of doesn’t matter — which was my point.

Segev
2020-10-12, 01:20 PM
The Shadow Blade spell does 2d8 damage at base and the weapon it creates is eligible for TWFing. If you use it as your offhand weapon, the extra 4.5 of the second d8 is roughly equivalent to your damage modifier from your ability score. And the number of dice only goes up with spell level. So, no, you’re not getting ability mod, but it kind of doesn’t matter — which was my point.

I think his point is that it doesn't matter which weapon you use in which hand; if one does a lot more than the other, or if one does about the same damage as the other, you still are dealing the same total damage. (It would affect your skew based on hitting less often.)

DracoKnight
2020-10-12, 02:58 PM
I think his point is that it doesn't matter which weapon you use in which hand; if one does a lot more than the other, or if one does about the same damage as the other, you still are dealing the same total damage. (It would affect your skew based on hitting less often.)

It matters because you can only attack twice if you take the Attack action with your pact weapon. /shrug

MaxWilson
2020-10-12, 03:05 PM

Which damage modifier?

All damage modifiers except the damage modifier from your attack stat carry over automatically. E.g. if you're a Necromancer whose proficiency bonus is +4, and you give your skeletons short swords to dual-wield with, that +4 applies to both attacks. They will do d6+6 with their main hand and d6+4 with their off hand.

Rage damage, Bladesinger Song of Victory (+Int), Lifedrinker damage, Improved Divine Smite damage, etc. all apply even on offhand attacks without Two Weapon Fighting Style.

Ir0ns0ul
2020-10-12, 03:11 PM
There is the Double-Bladed Scimitar that allows you to do an off-hand attack with your bonus action for 1d4 + STR mod.

If you take the Revenant Blade feat, the aforementioned weapon gains the Finesse property.

Valmark
2020-10-12, 03:18 PM
There is the Double-Bladed Scimitar that allows you to do an off-hand attack with your bonus action for 1d4 + STR mod.

If you take the Revenant Blade feat, the aforementioned weapon gains the Finesse property.

From where does this come from?

JackPhoenix
2020-10-12, 06:10 PM
From where does this come from?

Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron. And it's not off-hand attack, if you want to be technical... it's bonus action attack akin to PAM BA attack.

Ir0ns0ul
2020-10-12, 06:26 PM
Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron. And it's not off-hand attack, if you want to be technical... it's bonus action attack akin to PAM BA attack.

You are double correct. It’s not an off-hand attack, but it’s an extra attack using your bonus action and adds your stat modifier.