PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Level 10 Tank for Party Damage Mitigation?

Yakmala
2020-10-09, 07:37 PM
So, in the last game I joined, I was in a party of almost entirely front line melee types. It was a great opportunity to make a Wolf Totem Barbarian and give everyone advantage and it worked out great!

In my new campaign, I have the opposite problem. Nobody is a front liner. We have a divination wizard, two bards, a druid that rarely wild shapes and two clerics that seem hesitant to tank. I had originally planned to bring a squishy caster myself, but it seems like there is a real need for a tank.

To be clear, when I say tank, I don't mean, highest possible AC or highest possible personal damage mitigation, though to be sure, those are great qualities. I'm talking about keeping the party safe.

We're playing through a dungeon right now with a high number of encounters per day. Based on party composition, we have no shortage of healers and buffers, but somebody has to go first, take the hits and try to keep the squishy folks safe.

Initial thoughts include:
1: Ancients Paladin with Sentinel. Aura buffs to saves, self heal, reaction to lock down enemies.
2: Cavalier: Likely PAM or TWF for the extra attack in order to apply Unwavering Mark to more targets.
3: Ancestral Guardian: Similar to Cavalier, but better at neutralizing a single target at a time.
4: Bear Totem: With PAM and Sentinel: Just wade on in, tear things up and lock things down and survive a long time.
5: Fighter 1, Forge Cleric 9: High AC and healing. Unlike the party's more hesitant Clerics, this one will wade right in and drop Spirit Guardians and Spiritual Weapon.

I'm having a hard time deciding what to go with. What is your favorite front line build for situations like this? Just as a note, we're not using any UA stuff (at least not until the UA stuff becomes official in TCoE).

stoutstien
2020-10-09, 07:46 PM
This party should have enough mitigation and control to not need a constant front liner. A abjur wizard would work just fine and provide a little bubble of extra defense.
Casters aren't really that soft in 5e and over half your party has medium/shield prof before looking at domains and bard colleges.

Gtdead
2020-10-09, 08:00 PM
The most extreme example I can think of that matches this is Crown Paladin. He is a Paladin with auras and lay on hands, can take hits for allies, can force enemies to stay near him and has spirit guardians to control the battlefield. It's not something I'd play, even in this scenario, I'd probably go for a sorcadin or something, just to have enough defenses to stick to enemies, and be a caster too.

Mikal
2020-10-09, 08:29 PM
I’d go with conquest actually. Why? Freeze multiple enemies in their tracks. Those that aren’t in your aura? Still can’t willingly approach you. Add PAM, Sentinel, and a halberd And you’re a prince of the battlefield

Spiritchaser
2020-10-09, 09:26 PM
Vs groups I’d echo the conquest Paladin suggestion above

Against a strong single target, it’s really tough to beat echo knight 5+, ancestral guardian 3 with sentinel.

Icewind
2020-10-09, 09:30 PM
If your goal is tanking I'd definitely go Ancestral Guardian Barbarian, especially because with that many casters anything without Legendary Resistances is probably already going to get nuked down or CC'ed with spells - the biggest danger definitely seems like single, extremely tough foes.

Frogreaver
2020-10-09, 10:26 PM
Tanking and party damage mitigation are 2 different goals.

Swashbuckler rogues make a great basis for a tank. High single attack damage and mobility to get to the ally/enemy most in need of being tanked. Plenty of rogue defensive abilities And itÂ’s not exactly hard to multiclass into something for more AC.

Outside rogue something with spirit guardians makes for a great tank. Cast that. Cast spiritual weapon and dodge.

MaxWilson
2020-10-09, 10:53 PM
Level 10, huh?

Have you ever considered Ancestral Barbarian 5/Moon Druid 5+? Not only do you have the usual Ancestral Guardian shtick, but you can also wildshape into a Giant Octopus (with 20' speed from Fast Movement, 30' with Longstrider) and make two restraining attacks per round (with Reckless advantage if desired). Since you have many encounters per day, this gives you control options during the fights when you can't afford to Rage. If you can get one of your many spellcaster friends to Mage Armor you, you'll also have AC 14 while doing it.

(Of course there will also be situations where it makes sense to transform into something besides a Giant Octopus, like a Giant Hyena when more mobility is needed. Use your judgment.)

I don't know how long the campaign is going to go but by the time you hit Moon Druid 15 you're making two Reckless Brontosaur attacks per turn for 32 HP each, or 27 + knock prone. In between are a bunch of fun forms including Giant Constrictor Snake (CR 2, restrains), Giant Scorpion (CR 3, grapples, or Extra Attack with stinger for ~17-28 HP per hit), Ankylosaurus, Giant Snapping Turtle, Elephant, Stegosaurus (CR 4, 26 damage per hit), Fire Elemental, Air Elemental, etc.

During encounters when you're not Raging, you have the option to throw down a Spike Growth or Conjure Animals before you wildshape, both of which also help protect the party from melee monsters and some ranged monsters.

Hael
2020-10-10, 01:04 AM
You have a very large party, with a lot of squishies. The Druid summons will create even more roadblock problems.

In my experience, the dm will be forced to hit your party with multiple strong adversaries or a veritable horde to keep the challenge appropriate.

The fundamental issue is that there will be instances where your single tank will be out of position and say your bard will be surrounded. Hence battlefield CC seems more important than just a meatshield.
So yea, the moon Druid idea or conquest pal seems appropriate.

MaxWilson
2020-10-10, 01:14 AM
You have a very large party, with a lot of squishies. The Druid summons will create even more roadblock problems.

In my experience, the dm will be forced to hit your party with multiple strong adversaries or a veritable horde to keep the challenge appropriate.

Or a couple of strong ranged snipers, e.g. Efreets, who can zap the squishies from 50 yards away and then fly back behind cover, completely ignoring any meat shields.

It's unfortunate that Ancestral Protectors technically, by strict RAW, doesn't work on a readied action, otherwise an Ancestral Guardian with a longbow would be able to offer substantial protection in this scenario. Instead you're going to have to let the various casters work out their own protection in this scenario by e.g. going prone to impose disadvantage, or creating a Wall of Stone or something.

Xeko
2020-10-10, 01:35 AM
Your party has a Druid that rarely Wild shapes? Are they a Shepard? If so, you don't need a tank. The summons are the tank. If they aren't, and you're still wanting to play a caster yourself, you could consider taking up a Shepard yourself. Other than that, I agree with what's already been said, and will echo others in saying conquest paladin is your best bet for a crowd control/tank combo.

Yakmala
2020-10-10, 01:45 AM
I've yet to play a Conquest Paladin, but I have been intrigued by them. I had to do a little research, because I wasn't aware how they were using fear so often, but it seems Level 1 Wrathful Smite is more powerful than I thought, as breaking out of it is a Wisdom check, rather than a Wisdom save, and one that is done at disadvantage because the target is feared. If they are locked down and you have reach on them via a polearm. Game over.

What I don't get is how the Conquest Pally handles groups of enemies. Wrathful Smite requires concentration, so it's one enemy at a time. Conquering Presence can do the job, but only once per rest. Is there something else I'm overlooking? Or is the assumption that one Conquering Presence per rest is usually enough?

Xeko
2020-10-10, 02:13 AM
I've yet to play a Conquest Paladin, but I have been intrigued by them. I had to do a little research, because I wasn't aware how they were using fear so often, but it seems Level 1 Wrathful Smite is more powerful than I thought, as breaking out of it is a Wisdom check, rather than a Wisdom save, and one that is done at disadvantage because the target is feared. If they are locked down and you have reach on them via a polearm. Game over.

What I don't get is how the Conquest Pally handles groups of enemies. Wrathful Smite requires concentration, so it's one enemy at a time. Conquering Presence can do the job, but only once per rest. Is there something else I'm overlooking? Or is the assumption that one Conquering Presence per rest is usually enough?

There's a Conquest Paladin in my party, and usually the Channel Divinity is enough, yeah. You definitely will want to pick up the 30 foot cone Fear spell though. Ultimately, the class comes down to positioning. You want to move in such a way that maximizes the effectiveness of your fear effects, and locks down as many opponents as possible. While simultaneously, keeping close enough to allies so that they can still benefit from Aura of Protection and Aura of Courage. And Aura of Vitality too, if you choose to take that as a spell, which I would highly recommend, since you'll have limited use of your BA otherwise.

Nhorianscum
2020-10-10, 03:05 AM

Well you do also have fear as a spell as a level 10 paladin with 2 uses/day going up to 3 at 11th level.

CTurbo
2020-10-10, 03:22 AM
In a party makeup like that, I would 100% make and use another squishy caster just for kicks. I actually dislike large parties with only one tanky character. Your casters will be wasting spell slots healing you while you get beat down. It's far more fun when there is no "front line."

There was no Sorcerer mentioned so I'd probably go with that just to have a good blend of full casters.
A Chain Pact non Hexblade Warlock would be fun too.
If you don't want to play another caster, it would be a good opportunity to play a quiet sneaky Rogue or an Archer Ranger.

Either way, don't feel like you MUST play a "tank" because you don't have to and literally anything would work out and be fun with that group.

Eldariel
2020-10-10, 04:01 AM
The more casters you have, the less you need a tank. You can always summon a tank or just make getting to the casters too difficult to bother with. Clerics and Druid are all natively tanks while others can be if they want to. If you wanna supertank and the Druid isn't Shepherd, Shepherd Druid is the best tank in the game. A million things just bodyblocking movement is great. They also rip enemies to shreds. Shepherd makes them durable and able to damage anything.

Alternately, I second Abjurer.

MinotaurWarrior
2020-10-10, 05:44 PM
Bear 6 / Divine Soul 4

Twinned Warding Bond + Bear Rage

Be V.Human for Sentinel and 20 Str (to feel like you're doing something proactive) or 20 Con (to just prevent more death)

Quietus
2020-10-10, 09:58 PM
I played a control Barbarian in Adventurer's League, and it was a blast. Ancestral Guardian, Dragonborn base, started with 17 Str and bumped it up with Dragon Fear at level 4. You now have +4 strength, and a 1/SR area of effect fear that ignores allies. My goal was to find a Flametongue (or other relevant powerful 1handed weapon), and spend all the rest of my resources increasing my defense. At level 8, I had planned to take Shield Master, making me even tankier. Mobile is also a viable option, depending on whether you'd rather play a hit and run sort of character.

At level 10, you're now hindering dangerous opponents from attacking allies, while bonus action shoving them backward so you can leave them in the dust, or knocking them prone. And while raging, you have a reaction that you can use every turn, to reduce damage done to an ally by 3d6. I cannot overestimate just how valuable this is. The number of times this has saved my party is kind of remarkable.

Also an option, Artillerist artificer (or some multiclass with it). Seems a little out of left field, but their protector turret giving 1d8+int worth of temp HP in a 10 foot burst as a bonus action is really good. Focus on melee type spells, and use your infusions for defense. At this point you can have half plate, a shield, +2 dex mod, +1 cloak of protection, +1 from repulsion shield, and +2 enhanced defence on your armour. AC 23 just from your class, plus you have access to Shield. And, if you've stayed single class, you also have Haste.

Magicspook
2020-10-11, 06:39 AM
Consider necromancer or conjuration wizard. Create a bunch of roadblocks and keep your party safe that way!

Frogreaver
2020-10-11, 07:01 AM
Consider necromancer or conjuration wizard. Create a bunch of roadblocks and keep your party safe that way!

Late game that may work well. Early and mid game it will be quite lacking.

Eldariel
2020-10-11, 07:09 AM
Late game that may work well. Early and mid game it will be quite lacking.

Well, it works from level 5 onwards and that's conveniently way past the point where this party starts.

Yakk
2020-10-11, 10:39 AM
Dwarf(Mark of Warding) Runeknight (3) Abjuration Wizard (X)

Acane+Projected Ward, Armor of Agathys, Plate Armor + Shield. Minor action to get resistance to BPS 1/short rest. Con saves.

(When the ward blocks an attack, AofA still does damage. When it gets through, your resist BPS makes it last twice as long. Shield and Absorb Elements recharge your ward while letting you tank heavy blows. Things die when they attack you.)

For feats, Sentinal/Warcaster to shut down things trying to get by you.

Frogreaver
2020-10-11, 10:44 AM
Well, it works from level 5 onwards and that's conveniently way past the point where this party starts.

I would say you don't get enough body blocker skeletons at level 5 to be any kind of tank or damage mitigation force. Takes higher level to accomplish that.

MaxWilson
2020-10-11, 11:55 AM
Dwarf(Mark of Warding) Runeknight (3) Abjuration Wizard (X)

Acane+Projected Ward, Armor of Agathys, Plate Armor + Shield. Minor action to get resistance to BPS 1/short rest. Con saves.

(When the ward blocks an attack, AofA still does damage. When it gets through, your resist BPS makes it last twice as long. Shield and Absorb Elements recharge your ward while letting you tank heavy blows. Things die when they attack you.)

For feats, Sentinal/Warcaster to shut down things trying to get by you.

Skip Rune Knight here and just cast Blade Ward or Stoneskin.