PDA

View Full Version : My DMing ability, help me.

vampire2948
2007-11-02, 03:13 PM
Hey, I recently started my very first game where I was the DM.

it can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3453886#post3453886)

If any experienced DMs could read through it, maybe, and tell me if I am doing anything wrong / anything that could be done better, then i'd really appreciate it.

There's a cookie in it for you! :smallwink:

Thanks!

vampire2948

Mike_Lemmer
2007-11-02, 03:34 PM
Oh ho ho, a Play-by-Post. This, most likely, will not end well. Before we start critiquing your GMing, we should cover what you need to do to keep it alive. Your biggest problem (besides lack of time to update) will be keeping your players posting. The most dangerous thing a player in a PbP can say is, "My PC has nothing to contribute so I didn't waste a post saying so."

It is impossible to tell the difference between players that are waiting for something interesting to happen & players that have completely forgotten about the game. (Or become distracted, or had it mysteriously drop off their subscriptions, or etc.)

Try to get your players to reply to every post you make. This is vital. If you can't provide IC reasons for them to do so, try bringing it up in the OOC thread. A simple "Is anybody out there?" can tell you just how many players you still have.

Regardless, if a player hasn't posted for a week because "there's nothing he has to contribute", it might be time to give him something to be involved in.

I'll post specific critiques about your GMing later, if I have time.

vampire2948
2007-11-02, 03:37 PM
Yeah, i'm trying to involve all my players, which isn't that easy, since they're in four separate places at the moment :smallsmile:

I think i'm managing it.

Crow
2007-11-02, 03:42 PM
One method you can use it to use spoiler tags to describe the scene and events to each player from their character's point of view.

Grogg:
The beast looks you in the eyes and smiles at the puny dagger in your hands, then, rearing up on it's haunches, charges straight for you with a vicious snarl!

Alex:
Perched atop the tavern, you sight up the creature down the crossbow's length. You hear a loud snarl as it charges Grogg!

Melinda:
As you lift yourself off the tavern floor, your head still swimming from the ale, you hear a loud snarl, followed by the sound of pounding hoofbeats just outside.

It's a lot of work, but it can be useful.

vampire2948
2007-11-02, 03:45 PM
yeah, I suppose it would make it easier for my players to read what part is meant for them...thanks!