PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Motor-mancer (an artificer subclass)

mcumoric
2020-10-09, 07:56 PM
Motor-mancer
Motor-mancer’s are artificers who make machines that are primarily made for locomotion.

Tool proficiency
You gain proficiency in land vehicles. If you already had proficiency in land vehicles, you gain proficiency in a tool of your choice.

Motor-mancer spells
You gain the following spells at their respective levels.
Level - Spells
3rd - Fog cloud, Grease.
5th - Blur, Misty step.
9th - Haste, Stinking cloud.
13th - Freedom of movement, Dimension door.
17th - Animate objects, Cloudkill.

Construct vehicle
Starting at 3rd level, during a long rest you may construct a vehicle as long as you have tinkering tools on hand. This vehicle can only be operated by you. The vehicle has 8 hours of runtime, after which you must repair it during a long rest.
While in the vehicle your movement speed increases to the amount specified and you gain extra abilities based on the vehicle you chose.

Motorbike

Your movement speed becomes 60 feet.

You gain an attack in the form of a bludgeoning ram on the front of your bike, which uses your intelligence modifier for attack and damage rolls. On a successful hit the attack deals 1d6 bludgeoning damage on a hit and deals an additional 1d8 bludgeoning damage if you moved at least 20 feet straight towards your target before making the attack.

You can take the dash and disengage actions as bonus action while riding your motorbike, though you have disadvantage on saving throws against being knocked prone.

Atv
Your movement speed becomes 40 feet.

You ignore difficult terrain while riding your atv.

You gain an attack in the form of a run over, which uses your intelligence modifier for attack and damage rolls. On a successful hit you deal 1d10 bludgeoning damage and your target is knocked prone. You have disadvantage against any creature that is huge or larger.

You gain half cover from the atv.

Tank
Your movement speed becomes 20 feet.

You gain a ranged attack in the form of a small cannon which uses your intelligence modifier for attack and damage rolls. This cannon deals 1d12 piercing damage on a hit.

While in the tank your armor class increases by 4.

The tank takes up a large creature’s space. (2x2 squares)

Extra attack
Starting at the 5th level, when you make an attack with your vehicle, you may make an additional attack as part of the same action.

Oil slick
Starting at the 9th level, you can use an action to fire an oil slick at a point within 50 feet of you, while in your vehicle. Each creature that starts their turn within 20 feet of this point must make a dexterity saving throw versus your spell save dc or fall prone. If any fire damage is caused within this area, the whole oil slick ignites, dealing 1d6 damage to each creature that starts their turn inside the burning oil slick for the next 5 minutes.

Upgraded engine
Starting at the 15th level, you no longer run out of time with your engine. In addition, while in a vehicle, your movement speed increases by 10 feet.

BerzerkerUnit
2020-10-10, 10:17 AM
I really like this concept, I was tinkering with a similar idea myself when DiAvernus came out. If you choose to use any of these recommendations pls credit me in any published documents.

Your vehicle is basically a pair of legs and a weapon, but it should probably have AC and HP, values like a pet. As is, enemies can't attack it, spells that explicitly affect machines don't affect it, etc. See the Infernal Engines from Descent into Avernus for examples. By hyper abstracting them as you have here, the Motorbike is ridiculously good, practically being a haste spell for 8 hours. There's also the problem of what happens if your party has to travel overland at a pace and plans to run for 16 hours a day? RAW no issue, but narratively, you effortlessly carrying your tank on your back for 8 of those hours is a problem.

In addition to fleshing out the vehicle stats I'd add an ability to refuel it with spell slots, 2 hours per level of the slot sounds right.

I'd probably add riders to the attacks since you aren't given a bonus action attack option making the tank, despite it's d12 is still explicitly weaker than Battlesmith. It has no given range values.

I'd recommend a d6 fire Burnout for the motorbike from spinning the wheel on the targets face.
An explosive round for the tank dealing a d6 to all creatures adjacent to the target.
Whatever you like for the ATV, actually a pounce wouldn't be too bad.

The level 9 feature is anemic as is. Basically a free casting of grease? Maybe if it were one of a number of options. I can't imagine why you didn't just lift the Mach 5's options wholesale and make it so you can equip 2 and swap them on a long rest.

RAW it appears once you have chosen the type of vehicle, you can't change it. I would add a new level 6+ Infusion that shares the space of Bag of Holding (so if you know one you can't know the other) that creates a garage you can pull a vehicles out of on a short rest).

And really, this is one of those things where you should provide terrain versatility at 5th or 9th allowing for submarines and flying cars.

mcumoric
2020-10-10, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the input, this might have been a bit rushed. I just liked the idea of making a vehicle so I added it. I like the idea of the whole burnout thing with the motorbike. I also thought this might have been a bit powerful, though I may be wrong. I also like the idea of refueling it with spell slots. I'll probably make a revised version of this subclass and post it.

mcumoric
2020-10-10, 02:54 PM
Motor-mancer (Updated)
Motor-mancer’s are artificers who make machines that are primarily made for locomotion.

Tool proficiency
You gain proficiency in land vehicles. If you already had proficiency in land vehicles, you gain proficiency in a tool of your choice.

Motor-mancer spells
You gain the following spells at their respective levels.
Level - Spells
3rd - Fog cloud, Grease.
5th - Blur, Misty step.
9th - Haste, Stinking cloud.
13th - Freedom of movement, Dimension door.
17th - Animate objects, Cloudkill.

Construct vehicle
Starting at 3rd level, during a long rest you may construct a vehicle as long as you have tinkering tools on hand. This vehicle can only be operated by you. The vehicle has 4 hours of runtime, you may spend a spell slot of first or higher to make it run for another 2 hours.
The vehicle counts as a mount and has a number of hit points specified. When your vehicle is reduced to 0 hit points it explodes, dealing 2d6 fire damage to each creature within 5 feet of the vehicle (Yes this includes you) that fails a dexterity saving throw versus your spell save dc.

Motorbike

Speed: 60 feet.
Hp: 10 + (your artificer level + your intelligence modifier)x2
Ac: 11 + your intelligence modifier.

You gain an attack in the form of a burnout by spinning your back tire on a target. On a hit it deals 1d8 bludgeoning damage. This attack uses your intelligence modifier to hit. If you move 20 feet straight towards a creature you deal an additional 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage. Starting at the 5th level, you gain a +1 to attack and damage rolls with this weapon.

You can take the dash and disengage actions as bonus action while riding your motorbike, though you have disadvantage on saving throws against being knocked prone.

Atv

Speed: 40 feet.
Hp: 15 + (your artificer level + your intelligence modifier)x2
Ac: 11 + Your proficiency bonus + your intelligence modifier.

You ignore difficult terrain while riding your atv.

You gain an attack in the form of a run over, which uses your intelligence modifier for attack and damage rolls. On a successful hit you deal 1d10 bludgeoning damage and your target is knocked prone. You have disadvantage against any creature that is huge or larger. Starting at the 5th level, you gain a +1 to attack and damage rolls with this weapon.

You gain half cover from the atv.

Tank

Speed: 20 feet.
Hp: 20 + (your artificer level + your intelligence modifier)x3
Ac: 15 + your intelligence modifier.

You gain a ranged attack in the form of a small cannon which uses your intelligence modifier for attack and damage rolls. This cannon deals 1d12 piercing damage on a hit and has a range of 120ft/400ft. Starting at the 5th level, you gain a +1 to attack and damage rolls with this weapon.

The tank takes up a large creature’s space. (2x2 squares)

Aircraft (5th level required)

Speed: 30 feet, 50 feet flying.
Hp: 10 + (your artificer level + your intelligence modifier)x2
Ac: 12 + your intelligence modifier.

You gain a ranged attack in the form of a turret mounted on your aircraft. On a hit this turret deals 1d8 piercing damage. This attack uses your intelligence modifier for attack and damage rolls. This attack has a range of 60ft/120ft. Instead of firing one acurite bullet, you may instead fire a barrage of bullets forcing each creature in a 10 foot square to make a dexterity saving throw versus your spell save dc, which on a fail they take 4d4 piercing damage. You may use this barrage only once until you spend a spell slot to repair it. This turret also has a +1 to attack and damage rolls.

Extra attack
Starting at the 5th level, when you make an attack with your vehicle, you may make an additional attack as part of the same action.

Arcane weaponry
Starting at the 5th level, your weapon attacks from your vehicles count as magical for overcoming resistance and immunity.

Oil slick
Starting at the 9th level, you can use an action to fire an oil slick at a point within 50 feet of you, while in your vehicle. Each creature that starts their turn within 20 feet of this point must make a dexterity saving throw versus your spell save dc or fall prone. If any fire damage is caused within this area, the whole oil slick ignites, dealing 1d6 damage to each creature that starts their turn inside the burning oil slick for the next 5 minutes.

Quick work
Starting at the 9th level, when you make an attack with your vehicle as an action you may cast a single cantrip as a bonus action.

Upgraded engine
Starting at the 15th level, you no longer run out of time with your engine. In addition, while in a vehicle, your movement speed increases by 10 feet.

mcumoric
2020-10-10, 02:54 PM
I think this is a bit better. Also it now has an aircraft because that would be cool.