PDA

View Full Version : OotS on WotC

The_Chilli_God
2006-02-07, 04:02 AM
Yeah, the Wizards of the Coast D&D site just launched its weekly edition of Tactics and Tips, telling readers about how to make the game easier and more fun, just general stuff.

And in that recent article, which looked into that guy that plays a Half-Red Dragon Elven Psionic swordmaster in a Non-dragon, Non-psion, Non-elf, Non-swords campaign, there is a little sidebar that leads to #274 of OotS, possibly hinting at the monkey ninja bit.

Sure, the mention's not all that huge, but it just goes to show that even the big cheese D&D staff like to read D&D-related comics just as much as the rest of us after all.

What? The Article?
Yay! (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/tt/20060207a)

pita
2006-02-07, 04:30 AM
Neatness Incarnate! The Giant is on his way to holly-wizard-wood.

Tharr
2006-02-07, 08:23 AM
I noticed that as well.

Ilover_Juventad
2006-02-07, 08:48 AM
B-but ninjas are COOL!

RedMage
2006-02-15, 10:13 AM
Yeah but you shouldn't be forced to change your campagin just to fit in someone elses character

Aladdar
2006-02-15, 05:47 PM
I do believe that Rich does some freelance work for WOTC, so I think he's a little more than just a D&D webcomic in their eyes.

Heck, he almost won the create a new campaign setting, coming in third place I believe.

Gralamin
2006-02-15, 07:56 PM
Yeah but you shouldn't be forced to change your campagin just to fit in someone elses character

not major changes but make it fit. its not just the dms game, have you learned nothing?

Devils_Advocate
2006-02-15, 09:21 PM
I seriously doubt that anyone has ever held a gun to a GM's head and demanded a change to a campaign world.

Really! Players don't force GMs to accomodate their characters, and GMs don't force players to accomodate their campaigns. In fact, I'd lay even money that no one has ever forced anyone to play a roleplaying game at all!

It's just a matter of what one person can get another to agree to. Ideally, they'll try to reach an agreement that both are reasonably satisfied with. (Ideally, they're friends, and each actually cares about what the other wants, too.)

Asking whether a game should be run for the players or the GM presents a false dilemma; it neglects the possibility of negotiation and compromise. But even if it does come down to an issue that simply must be decided in the favor of one party or the other, the problem can only be resolved by the gaming group in question. Because no outside power has the ability to make people game the "right" way (whatever that is arbitrarily decreed to be) nor the moral authortiy to tell a bunch of strangers how they ought to be spending their free time.

(Sorry if I was a bit harsh there. This wasn't really directed at you in particular, your choice of words just kinda set me off. Kinda ironic, considering how I'm criticizing people who get all up in arms over something when they needn't make a big deal out of it...)

Donsic
2006-02-16, 04:41 PM
[quote author=Aladdar link=board=comics;num=1139299373;start=0#5 date=02/15/06 at 16:47:56]I do believe that Rich does some freelance work for WOTC, so I think he's a little more than just a D&D webcomic in their eyes.

I wonder if the Giant hates Eberon.

Donsic
2006-02-16, 04:41 PM
I do believe that Rich does some freelance work for WOTC, so I think he's a little more than just a D&D webcomic in their eyes.

Heck, he almost won the create a new campaign setting, coming in third place I believe.
I wonder if the Giant hates Eberon. Oops i didn't mean to post that twice

BurntOfferings
2006-02-16, 11:32 PM
I wonder if the Giant hates Eberon.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess no (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0786936916/qid=1140147038/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-9507346-9235848?s=books&v=glance&n=283155).

Master_of_Dragons
2006-02-17, 05:49 AM
Second place, in fact...

Master of Dragons

MediaMogul
2006-02-17, 06:10 AM
2nd place suck =P
silver is the worst medal ever......
3rd place is like atleast i got bronze =)
1st palce is wohooo im #1
2nd place is like oh Im the best of the loosers. Nobody that lost did it as good as i did. I am the #1 looser. Wohoo the bestest loosers is me I won 2nd place

zippomage
2009-01-12, 03:36 PM
I seriously doubt that anyone has ever held a gun to a GM's head and demanded a change to a campaign world.

Really! Players don't force GMs to accomodate their characters, and GMs don't force players to accomodate their campaigns. In fact, I'd lay even money that no one has ever forced anyone to play a roleplaying game at all!

It's just a matter of what one person can get another to agree to. Ideally, they'll try to reach an agreement that both are reasonably satisfied with. (Ideally, they're friends, and each actually cares about what the other wants, too.)

Asking whether a game should be run for the players or the GM presents a false dilemma; it neglects the possibility of negotiation and compromise. But even if it does come down to an issue that simply must be decided in the favor of one party or the other, the problem can only be resolved by the gaming group in question. Because no outside power has the ability to make people game the "right" way (whatever that is arbitrarily decreed to be) nor the moral authortiy to tell a bunch of strangers how they ought to be spending their free time.

(Sorry if I was a bit harsh there. This wasn't really directed at you in particular, your choice of words just kinda set me off. Kinda ironic, considering how I'm criticizing people who get all up in arms over something when they needn't make a big deal out of it...)

I was so struck by this post that I felt compelled to create an account simply to add my two cents to this pile of change.

while physical violence is most often associated with the concept of forcing cooperation in movies and television, in reality, there are far more subtle psychological elements to be played at, and are often used when attempting to influence players and gm's alike. To ignore these elements would be folly. Not everyone wants to exercise assh@le powers and deny something that could be genuinely fun to an individual. I generally try to throw together a world that would be intriguing, and then incorporate elements from characters back-story in order to drawn them further into whatever plot I plan on wacking them upside the head with

Nerd-o-rama
2009-01-12, 03:41 PM
Welcome to the forums! Before you chime in on more ancient, ancient posts, feel free to read the forum rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1), which discourage bumping threads that were last posted in two and a half years ago.

Mando Knight
2009-01-12, 03:43 PM
Posted 01-12-2009

Posted 02-17-2006

... :smalleek: Serious Thread Necromancy!
Please read the rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1) first! Specifically, this line:

Thread Necromancy
Bringing a thread back from “the dead.” If a thread has fallen to page three and hasn’t been posted in for a month and a half, don’t post to it. Start a new topic if you want to discuss the subject.