PDA

View Full Version : Theoretical Min/Max

Mandarin
2020-10-09, 09:35 PM
Assume I am a human moon druid... whatever level in druid I roll, I get to multiclass into another class up to half that level... eventually getting level 20druid/level 10x.

My stats are really good, nothing under 14...

What class would you roll to max out the moon druid? (Consider strength at all levels, not just end game)

Icewind
2020-10-09, 09:39 PM
I would do either Barbarian or Paladin, depending on if you were more concerned about tanking an absurd amount of damage with Rage (but being unable to concentrate during that, which is a pretty big drawback) or avoiding debilitating CC effects with Aura of Protection. I think both of those work even while Wildshaped!

ThatoneGuy84
2020-10-09, 10:05 PM
Paladin because you dont need to Cha cast anyways, take utility spells and fuel smites, second attack + Auras
You can always use Shilleagh and attack with Wisdom modifier, meaning you dont need much in the way of stats other then Wisdom.
Max wis, next highest stat Con, rest is Gravy.
Probably take PAM and Warcaster for Feats.

Only way I would do Barb is if I was dedicated tank roll char, But Druid/Pally has a much more diverse utility kit.

Edea
2020-10-09, 10:55 PM
What exactly are you getting out of this version of multiclassing? Is this a character who will end up with 30 hit dice/a +9 proficiency bonus, or are the ten 'multiclass' levels just for features?

Mandarin
2020-10-09, 10:57 PM
Paladin because you dont need to Cha cast anyways, take utility spells and fuel smites, second attack + Auras
You can always use Shilleagh and attack with Wisdom modifier, meaning you dont need much in the way of stats other then Wisdom.
Max wis, next highest stat Con, rest is Gravy.
Probably take PAM and Warcaster for Feats.

Only way I would do Barb is if I was dedicated tank roll char, But Druid/Pally has a much more diverse utility kit.

If there are already 2 paladins in the group, would that change your thinking?

What subclasses would you go with?

Mandarin
2020-10-09, 10:58 PM
What exactly are you getting out of this version of multiclassing? Is this a character who will end up with 30 hit dice/a +9 proficiency bonus, or are the ten 'multiclass' levels just for features?

Basically for features... there are some other bonuses but proficiency isnt really one of them.

CTurbo
2020-10-11, 07:47 AM
Paladin is probably the best answer here for any class chosen as the main class. I would not consider Barbarian for a level 20 full caster and you'd never want to rage.

Battlemaster Fighter could be interesting as it would significantly boost your melee capability, give you Action Surge, extra ASI/feat, and won't interfere with your spells.

Rogue could be fun too. Sneak Attack would be mostly wasted, but Rogues get so many other fun features that would be great like Cunning Action, Uncanny Dodge, Evasion, and of course Expertise.

Various Wizard subclasses would be great. A Druid 20/Wizard 10 would be the most epic utility character.

Lore Bard would add a lot also. Inspiration dice, Cutting Words, Expertise, and Magical Secrets x2!

Frogreaver
2020-10-11, 10:08 AM
Depending on DM rulings, monk could be really good.

Gignere
2020-10-11, 10:50 AM
Depending on DM rulings, monk could be really good.

Yes if DM rules MA works in animal/elemental forms it will be really damn good. You would also ask if the magical unarmed attacks carry over for natural attacks too. If you get both of these it’s almost a no brainer.

AttilatheYeon
2020-10-11, 10:55 AM
What kind of Druid are you?

Edea
2020-10-11, 12:37 PM
Also, the Moon Druid's heavily dependent on what beasts the character's "seen". Do you have any parameters for that, or do we just assume you're able to comb through the MM for forms you want to use?

Valmark
2020-10-11, 05:15 PM
Either Paladin, Bear Barbarian or Life Cleric.

Paladin because you get a boost to all saves which would be noteworthy with your stats and solves the moon druid's problem- damage not keeping up after a while (note: I've seen this being said, I have no proof of that). Plus you have a lot more slots for smiting.
These features alone would have been good- you also have Lay On Hands which is good even as an half class.
I'd pick Ancient for flavor- that would also give you resistance to spell damage.
And being able to use Aura Of Vitality is a pretty good use for your slots.

As a barbarian go bear and suddenly your damage is still better then normal and now your shapes last double the time. More or less. No spells though, not exactly a fan. You're likely to have more AC with unarmored defense too.

Life cleric because Goodberry. Just for that. Healing 40 hp with a 1st level slot is sweet- and you can do that several times a day. Between this and Aura Of Vitality I'm not sure which is better.
It also boosts your damage with Divine Strike.

Personally I'd go Life Cleric.

Frogreaver
2020-10-11, 08:30 PM
I just realized, how does spell slot progression work when you are a level 20 full caster and a level 10 full caster? Do you get a bunch of level 9 slots or something?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-10-11, 11:00 PM
Ancients Paladin is an amazing candidate for the save bonus and having resistance to all spell damage. You get all of that at the 7th level, you'll want the 8th for the ASI. So if you're allowed to multiclass those ten levels, pick Fighter 2 for Action Surge or Rogue 2 for Cunning Action to finish it out.

I just realized, how does spell slot progression work when you are a level 20 full caster and a level 10 full caster? Do you get a bunch of level 9 slots or something?

It wouldn't progress past 20th level on the chart. You would get the spell slots of a 20th level character at level 14 if you did all 10 in another full casting class.

CTurbo
2020-10-11, 11:21 PM
I somehow forgot about Monk! That's the best bet after Paladin IMO. Monk adds so much to a Moon Druid from AC to damage to Bonus Action options, and to basically get it for free? Sign me up!

You'll already have a maxed Wis so Unarmored Defense boosts your AC in pretty much every beast for, and you can use your Bonus Action attack in beast form as well as Flurry of Blows.

Open Hand or Long Death would be my picks, but in the right campaign, Shadow Monk could be great. Sun Soul would be fun to RP considering your random beast forms could shoot lasers out of their mouths or eyes or whatever.

KorvinStarmast
2020-10-14, 01:46 PM
Assume I am a human moon druid... whatever level in druid I roll, I get to multiclass into another class up to half that level... eventually getting level 20druid/level 10x. If you get to druid level 20, you won't have levels in anything else.

Might want to read the manual / PHB.

And FWIW:
Moon Druid / Monk is fun (well, it was for me).
Max Wisdom First, Max Dexterity Second, add Constitution until you run out of ASIs.

Mandarin
2020-10-14, 01:59 PM
If you get to druid level 20, you won't have levels in anything else.

Might want to read the manual / PHB.

And FWIW:
Moon Druid / Monk is fun (well, it was for me).
Max Wisdom First, Max Dexterity Second, add Constitution until you run out of ASIs.

Korvin- This is for a homebrew campaign. It allows for having another class stack with your primary class... up to half the main class level. So endgame would be 20 in one class, 10 in another. I have read the PHB, promise.

KorvinStarmast
2020-10-14, 02:17 PM
This is for a homebrew campaign. It allows for having another class stack with your primary class... up to half the main class level. So endgame would be 20 in one class, 10 in another. :smalleek: Oh, I am sorry, I must have missed that.
*blushes*

RogueJK
2020-10-14, 02:26 PM
Monk is definitely worth considering. I've played a Monk 1/Moon Druid X, and that was a lot of fun. It's great for improving your Wild Shape AC, since your maxed out 20 WIS+DEX is better than the Wild Shape form's Natural Armor+DEX in all but a few rare cases (such as the Earth Elemental's +8 Natural Armor).

In normal situations I wouldn't suggest dipping more than 1 level of Monk, but in this special homebrew situation it doesn't seem to have any drawbacks as you're not delaying your Druid progression. It would add in some of the higher level Monk abilities that you can use while Wild Shaped, like spending Ki points on Dodging, Stunning, or making extra Flurry attacks, or Deflecting Missiles, or moving faster, or running along walls.

And then there are some Monk subclass abilities that would be useful while Wild Shaped, like the Drunken Master's Disengage, or Long Death's Temp HP, or Shadow's Teleport, or Open Hand's Shove/Prone. Heck, you could technically be throwing Sun Soul sunbeams while Wild Shaped, since it's an Attack action not a spell, giving your animal/elemental forms a ranged attack. (Picture a Giant Crocodile shooting laser beams from its mouth like Godzilla.)

https://www.movienewsnet.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Godzilla-Atomic-Breath-2014.png

Gignere
2020-10-14, 04:17 PM
Monk is definitely worth considering. I've played a Monk 1/Moon Druid X, and that was a lot of fun. It's great for improving your Wild Shape AC, since your maxed out 20 WIS+DEX is better than the Wild Shape form's Natural Armor+DEX in all but a few rare cases (such as the Earth Elemental's +8 Natural Armor).

In normal situations I wouldn't suggest dipping more than 1 level of Monk, but in this special homebrew situation it doesn't seem to have any drawbacks as you're not delaying your Druid progression. It would add in some of the higher level Monk abilities that you can use while Wild Shaped, like spending Ki points on Dodging, Stunning, or making extra Flurry attacks, or Deflecting Missiles, or moving faster, or running along walls.

And then there are some Monk subclass abilities that would be useful while Wild Shaped, like the Drunken Master's Disengage, or Long Death's Temp HP, or Shadow's Teleport, or Open Hand's Shove/Prone. Heck, you could technically be throwing Sun Soul sunbeams while Wild Shaped, since it's an Attack action not a spell, giving your animal/elemental forms a ranged attack. (Picture a Giant Crocodile shooting laser beams from its mouth like Godzilla.)

https://www.movienewsnet.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Godzilla-Atomic-Breath-2014.png

You just painted the most awesome drunken bear fighting in my mind, assuming OP gets 1 level of monk for every 2 levels of Druid.