PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [SoP] Ways to play around with Narcoleptic Casting as an Incanter?

Rynjin
2020-10-10, 03:50 AM
Fiddling around with a new character, thought Narcoleptic Casting seemed like a laugh. However, it is a strong potential character ender, so I was looking to mitigate its drawbacks a bit. Enter the Scout Sphere: Somnambulance, which would allow me to at least move away from danger while asleep, even if I can't do anything productive.

I'm willing to pay the three Feats for it (Sphere Access, then the talent twice), but I was taking a quick look to see if I could get more bang for my buck and take the Daring Scholar Martial Tradition (which is perfect for my purposes). I was wondering if there was some sneaky way to do so as an Incanter specifically.

Alternately, a way to wake myself via some other means (a contingent spell that deals damage to me or something) also works. Just something that allows me to play this character without immediately getting Coup de Graced on casting a spell one day.

Edit: Or allow me to take some kind of action while sleeping otherwise. I'm not super picky. Eh, let me fix the thread title if I can.

torrasque666
2020-10-10, 05:23 AM
Get a familiar. Give it a standing order to slap you if you pass out.

Rynjin
2020-10-10, 05:03 PM
Maybe. My character's weird enough to have a pet monkey or something even with the setting (it's more of a modern town where people don't know about magic; whole masquerade deal going on), but I kind of hate having Familiars and the like.

Ilorin Lorati
2020-10-10, 06:06 PM
Possessed Hand and Hand's Autonomy will give you something that can make attacks. It's a full round action to make a single attack but slapping yourself to wake up is certainly an option.

Rynjin
2020-10-10, 11:38 PM
Possessed Hand and Hand's Autonomy will give you something that can make attacks. It's a full round action to make a single attack but slapping yourself to wake up is certainly an option.

An interesting one, and I do like the Possessed Hand line (I made a character once with a Mauler Familiar Possessed Hand named Mr. Handy. It was good times). The passive drawbacks would be a bit annoying though (the -2 Concentration particularly).