PDA

View Full Version : Magical secrets for my level 10 lore bard

diplomancer
2020-10-10, 04:41 AM
So, I will be levelling up next session and am thinking of which magical secrets to take; here are the conditions:
1- Charlatan Lore Bard, so I've already gotten good 2nd and 3rd level spells
2- party also has a Moon Druid, a Trickery Cleric, and a Fiend Warlock, so probably no spell from those lists

The 2 picks I've decided on, for now, are Find Greater Steed (to have fun with the spell sharing feature) and Telekinesis (my DM let me get the UA Wild Talent Feat, which means not only it's thematic, it's also almost impossible to fail, what with adding a d8-soon a d10- to any Cha check I make).

I know those 2 picks are good and will work very well, but was wondering if the playgrounders have other interesting suggestions I haven't though of.

Snivlem
2020-10-10, 05:44 AM
Hard to give advice without knowing your other spells (especially your level 6 secrets).

Find greater steed is a sure pick, I think.

I think I would avoid any concentration spell, however.

Do you already have counterspell?

Valmark
2020-10-10, 06:09 AM
- Aura of Vitality if you want to heal;
- Destructive Wave if you want to hurt (enough range to use it without going in melee);
- Counterspell, always good;
- Bigby's Hand if you want to control AND hurt AND probably something else;
- Wall Of Force;
- Misty Step to get out of troubles;
- Spiritual Weapon;

These are the ones I can think of right off the bat- though I don't recommend Misty Step, not as a level 10 magical secret. Same with Spiritual Weapon, but with upcasting that's probably still a worthy option.

diplomancer
2020-10-10, 07:01 AM
Hard to give advice without knowing your other spells (especially your level 6 secrets).

Find greater steed is a sure pick, I think.

I think I would avoid any concentration spell, however.

Do you already have counterspell?

Yes, counterspell was my first 6th level pick. 2nd one was to be Tiny Servant, but after the Class Versatility UA the DM allowed it to be a regular Bard spell. I ended up picking something for the character's flavour that turned out to be surprisingly useful (far more than counterspell), Nystul's Magical Aura.

I usually agree with the "no Concentration" clause, it's one of the reasons I ended up with Nystul's, which is why I'm not so certain about Telekinesis; if it didn't fit the character so well, it would not be on my list.

ThorOdinson
2020-10-10, 07:07 AM
{Scrubbed}[/QUOTE]

diplomancer
2020-10-10, 07:15 AM
{Scrub the post, scrub the quote}.[/QUOTE]

I know, it happened after a small edit, I've asked for deletion.

FabulousFizban
2020-10-10, 07:27 AM
I noticed you have nystal's, Does your party have a base of operations? You could multiclass into another full caster, get bard 10 at level 11, then take guards and wards and awaken as your magical secrets.

The 3 listed spells make a badass base.

diplomancer
2020-10-10, 07:50 AM
I noticed you have nystal's, Does your party have a base of operations? You could multiclass into another full caster, get bard 10 at level 11, then take guards and wards and awaken as your magical secrets.

The 3 listed spells make a badass base.

I have a Knowledge Cleric 1 dip, but I don't think Magical Secrets works like that. But I will take a closer look at Guards and Wards in case the group gets to 14th level, thanks

Valmark
2020-10-10, 07:59 AM
Yes, Magical Secrets are tied to your bard levels, not the overall spellcasting classes. The text says 'of a level you can cast, as shown on the bard table'.

diplomancer
2020-10-10, 08:20 AM
- Aura of Vitality if you want to heal;
- Destructive Wave if you want to hurt (enough range to use it without going in melee);
- Counterspell, always good;
- Bigby's Hand if you want to control AND hurt AND probably something else;
- Wall Of Force;
- Misty Step to get out of troubles;
- Spiritual Weapon;

These are the ones I can think of right off the bat- though I don't recommend Misty Step, not as a level 10 magical secret. Same with Spiritual Weapon, but with upcasting that's probably still a worthy option.

I have a VERY good use for my bonus actions, the Tiny Servant+Magic Stone combo, which the DM ok'ed. So any bonus action spell is out. Keep the suggestions coming, I have my eye on Bigby's

Valmark
2020-10-10, 08:34 AM
I have a VERY good use for my bonus actions, the Tiny Servant+Magic Stone combo, which the DM ok'ed. So any bonus action spell is out. Keep the suggestions coming, I have my eye on Bigby's

Shouldn't Bigby's be out then? It uses your bonus action for activation.

Snivlem
2020-10-10, 09:20 AM
So you've got concentration covered, bonus actions covered and reactions covered. Good Aoe is now also avaiable on your spell list, at least (synatic static).

It might seem wrong, but - have you considered find familiar? I don't think you should force yourself to picking high level options, because the bard list is already so good at those levels.

You could also consider some really usefull ritual spells that you dont have access to, like rary's telephatic bond.

You could also, actually, consider something like command (good because it doesnt require contration and scales really well). I think fireball desrves consideration as well, even if its impact in combat is dropping.

A good defense option such as mirror image is also worth considering I think.

diplomancer
2020-10-10, 09:47 AM
So you've got concentration covered, bonus actions covered and reactions covered. Good Aoe is now also avaiable on your spell list, at least (synatic static).

It might seem wrong, but - have you considered find familiar? I don't think you should force yourself to picking high level options, because the bard list is already so good at those levels.

You could also consider some really usefull ritual spells that you dont have access to, like rary's telephatic bond.

You could also, actually, consider something like command (good because it doesnt require contration and scales really well). I think fireball desrves consideration as well, even if its impact in combat is dropping.

A good defense option such as mirror image is also worth considering I think.

Concentration is not out, but it has to be really worth it. I'd forgot Bigby's requires a bonus action, yes, that's out too. I will think about Find Familiar and Telepathic Bond (telepathic bond fits my character well, so is worth considering).

I didn't take Fireball at 6th because it didn't "fit", I don't think I will take it now, specially with access to Synaptic Static.

It is concentration, but what do you all think of Circle of Power? Also, as a non-concentration, how about transmute stone?

Skemo
2020-10-10, 10:02 AM
Hard to go wrong with Wall of Force. I'm playing a Order Cleric 1/Glamour Bard 12 atm and I try to pick spells that have both in and out of combat utility as I'm the only full caster in our party. Wall of Force can do so many things both in and out of combat (for example I just used it last month to prop open a huge sliding rock door and in an encounter to force monsters to take a longer route to the party). It is concentration, but a tremendous tool to have in your back pocket...

MaxWilson
2020-10-10, 11:04 AM
Concentration is not out, but it has to be really worth it. I'd forgot Bigby's requires a bonus action, yes, that's out too. I will think about Find Familiar and Telepathic Bond (telepathic bond fits my character well, so is worth considering).

I didn't take Fireball at 6th because it didn't "fit", I don't think I will take it now, specially with access to Synaptic Static.

It is concentration, but what do you all think of Circle of Power? Also, as a non-concentration, how about transmute stone?

Yes, I was just about to call your attention to Circle of Power. Nice long duration, 30' radius, strong effects. Concentration is a downside, and so is the fact that it doesn't help saving throws vs. nonmagical effects (dragon breath, concentration saves), but at least against magic, Bardic Inspiration + Circle of Power is excellent protection, better than a Paladin's aura.

Telekinesis is good against single targets up to size Huge. Circle of Power protects you and any conjured minions from magic. Which are you more worried about?

Snivlem
2020-10-10, 11:09 AM

If you are ok with concentration - id either pick wall of force or something else that doesnt require your concentration.