PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Momentum Dice--bringing 13th Age's Escalation Die to 5e...sort of

PhoenixPhyre
2020-10-10, 09:16 PM
13th Age has a concept called the Escalation die: for every round after the first in a combat, the value increases by 1, increasing your attack bonus by 1. Certain abilities either can't be used below a certain escalation die size or get more powerful/cheaper as the escalation die value increases.

The mechanical design of this won't work in 5e directly (bounded accuracy says hah!), and the very different rest/resource structures make doing it on a per-fight basis a bit useless.

So here's a mechanic I came up with taking inspiration from the escalation die. It's a WIP, let me know if something doesn't makes sense or would be broken.

Intent: To encourage parties to keep pushing forward, take risks and delay long rests by giving them a pool of resources that increases as they do so.

Gaining Momentum Dice

A momentum dice (initially a d4) is added to the common pool after every round in which any of the following happens (no more than one per round):

A party member takes damage of at least one hit die in size (so 6 damage for a wizard or 12 for a barbarian).
A party member downs an opponent.
A party member uses a significant rest-based resource such as a spell slot, rage, etc.
A party member fails on a saving throw against a hostile effect.

The maximum number of dice in the pool is equal to the number of party members. If a die could not be added because the pool was full, instead upgrade one of the smallest existing dice by one size (d4->d6->d8->d10->d12).

Spending Momentum Dice
The most basic use of momentum dice is to add to damage rolls. At any time, a player may remove a die of their choice from the pool and roll it, adding the value to the result of a damage roll.

Other uses:

A player may withdraw half of the dice in the pool (minimum 2 dice spent) to recover a short-rest resource. No spell slots above level 5 can be restored this way.
A player may withdraw two of the largest dice to get up from 0 hit points with 1 hit point as if they had rolled a 20 on their death saving throw.
A player may withdraw two of the largest dice to reroll an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw (effectively a Lucky point).
A player may withdraw all of the dice (minimum 4 dice spent) to recover a long rest resource. No spell slots above level 5 can be restored this way.

Note: the numbers are WIP at this point.

Resetting Momentum Dice
When you complete a long rest, your momentum dice reset. In tier 1, you lose all momentum dice that remain. In tier 2, you can keep one of the leftovers, but it resets to d4 if it was larger. In tier 3, you can keep one of the leftovers, resetting it to d6 if it was larger. In tier 4, you can keep up to two dice, resetting to d6.

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-10-11, 04:27 AM
So it's a rubber band mechanic? The worst things get the more extra power the party get? Okay.

It seems to me from a quick read through that you almost always want to spend the dice while they're all d4's. Not just because the average roll on a d4 is more than half of even a d8, but because the special powers just use up dice completely, no matter what their size was. So spend ones you have a full set of d4's. You'll still have a few d4's left for an emergency raise dying. I'm not sure if this was intentional. This also kind of makes the long rest dice retaining irrelevant. At high level you get to keep two d4's. Yeah, cool.

PhoenixPhyre
2020-10-11, 10:44 AM
So it's a rubber band mechanic? The worst things get the more extra power the party get? Okay.

It seems to me from a quick read through that you almost always want to spend the dice while they're all d4's. Not just because the average roll on a d4 is more than half of even a d8, but because the special powers just use up dice completely, no matter what their size was. So spend ones you have a full set of d4's. You'll still have a few d4's left for an emergency raise dying. I'm not sure if this was intentional. This also kind of makes the long rest dice retaining irrelevant. At high level you get to keep two d4's. Yeah, cool.

It's supposed to be more "the longer you go, the more cushion you get" to reduce the perceived risk of pushing on without taking long rest.

Likely I need to adjust the costs for the special ones upwards as well as the cap. So it takes a few normal combats to charge those up. And maybe add one that does care about the dice spent (maybe a damage one?)

I'll admit the retaining thing was a last minute addition and needs work.

Amechra
2020-10-11, 03:59 PM
If I'm a Monk and I spend half of the dice in the pool to try to recover Ki, do I just get one ki point? Is it the same story with the Sorcerer, who could potentially be trading the entire pool for a single Sorcery point. Similarly, how much Ki do I have to spend for it to count as a "significant rest-based resource"? At what level does spending a 1st level spell slot (on, say, Shield) stop counting as "significant"?

PhoenixPhyre
2020-10-11, 05:11 PM
If I'm a Monk and I spend half of the dice in the pool to try to recover Ki, do I just get one ki point? Is it the same story with the Sorcerer, who could potentially be trading the entire pool for a single Sorcery point. Similarly, how much Ki do I have to spend for it to count as a "significant rest-based resource"? At what level does spending a 1st level spell slot (on, say, Shield) stop counting as "significant"?

Those are both good questions that will need to be iterated on.

For the first question, my gut feeling is that each class would need an entry defining exactly what you get back, since (for example) a monk is totally reliant on ki, while a sorcerer also has spell slots. For spells, I'm thinking one of the highest tier (spell level 5 or lower) you can cast or two of a lower tier. So a 9th level wizard could get back 1 5th level, 1 4th level, 1 3rd level, or 2 1st/2nd level spells.

Class
Short Rest Recovery
Long Rest Recovery

Barbarian
N/A?
1 rage

Bard
1/2 of BI, minimum 1 (level 5+)
Spells as above, all BI (levels 1-4)

Cleric
1 use of Channel Divinity
Spells as above

Druid
1 wildshape use
Spells as above

Fighter
One use of AS or SW or 2 Maneuver Dice
Spells as above, 2(?) Arcane Shot use

Monk
Roll one of the dice you used, regain that many ki
One use of sub-class LR features, if any

Paladin
1 use of Channel Divinity
Spells as above or roll dice and add to LoH pool or one use of other LR resources

Ranger
N/A
Spells as above

Rogue
Stroke of Luck (level 20 capstone :smallwink:)
Spells as above (AT only)

Sorcerer
N/A
Roll dice, gain 1/2 that many sorcery points or spells as above.

Warlock
1 spell slot or use of SR subclass feature
LR subclass feature or 1/day invocation

Wizard
SR subclass features[1]
Spells as above, LR subclass feature

[1] No, you don't get Arcane Recovery back. That's double dipping.

For the second, I'd probably say that you need to spend something like
* One of your highest 2 tiers (spell levels [1-2, 3-5, 6-8, 9]) of spell slots. So a 20th level wizard would need to burn a spell of 6+ to count.
* Level-based pool resources equal to 1/5 (for SR pools) or 1/4 (for LR pools). So for a 20th level monk, that's a turn where they burned at least 4 ki. For a 20th level paladin, that's 25 HP out of LoH.
* One use of most other small-pool resources.

My original idea was that this only functions under stress, so you can't build your pool by coffee-lock shenanigans or "bag of rats" shenanigans. Yes, that's fuzzy, but I'm a firm believer in DM involvement. Being in initiative (for realsies) would always count.

Do those sound like rational answers?

Steampunkette
2020-10-11, 06:29 PM
Hmmm... how about this.

Each player gets a d4 "Momentum Die" at the start of the combat.

Every time they perform an interesting action (Downing an enemy, rolling a critical hit, expending a powerful spell or ability) the dice increases in size.

On any turn, they can roll their current Momentum Die and add the value to a d20 roll (Essentially making it a form of Bless). When you do so, the dice goes down a step.

Once it's reached certain threshholds (d8, perhaps), you can sacrifice 2 die sizes to replenish a used resource or activate any Momentum Abilities you create as, perhaps, feats.

Once the Momentum Dice hits 0: It's gone until your next short rest. And momentum doesn't carry over between fights.