PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Variant Multiclass DM help

Sutr
2020-10-11, 09:57 AM
So I switched a campaign setting to pathfinder from 3.5, running it for some family members. A central premise of the game is the spirits grant bloodline powers, see unearthed arcana, to noble lines so that the nobility really is stronger. I was going to run it with the players being nobles, illegitimate nobles, spirits reincarnating to meddle, random's chosen by the spirits, and possibly a few other more interesting ways to get the spirits to pay attention. The current group is composed of misfits trying to ignore these things and just get rich. So no big deal on fixing my gap in powers quickly. Thinking if I need to fix the skill gap, big event when the spirits notice them, save it for later thing, or maybe that they wouldn't want it at all.

When they have dealt with nobility I've been assigning the families a VMC instead of a bloodline for free, thanks to sorcerer there are a lot of options and I can get close to my original plan. My problem has become a lack of a path of war VMC, and a lack of a Akashic Mysteries VMC. I found one for spheres. I had Welkinar's homebrew bloodlines that worked pretty well in the back of my head and had assigned some to major families. Does anyone know of any homebrew along those lines?

Also anyone know of any balancing work to the printed VMC's?

StSword
2020-10-11, 09:29 PM
I have no idea about extended variant multiclassing rules, sorry.

I do have an alternative if you really want to be able to give out path of war or akashic abilities, it's higher powered than VMC, but it has a genetic system that works for every possible class.

Tipsy Tabby Publishing produced the book "Overhauling multiclassing" which works like gestalt but purchases as a series of feats.

So getting more skill points because the other class gets more skill points would be a feat, getting better saves etc, all feats, the capstone being you get all the class features of the other class at character level minus 4.

Kitsuneymg
2020-10-12, 05:40 AM
Aren’t PoW and Akashic Mysteries both already accessible with feat support?Just auto-grant the equivalent of shape soulmeld and extra essence or martial training as they level up.

If you really need to make it more class focused, grant the class-specific maneuver recovery mechanic for PoW and limit veils based on selected class for AM.

DarkOne-Rob
2020-10-12, 09:02 PM
Also anyone know of any balancing work to the printed VMC's?
Are you concerned the VMCs aren't balanced with each other? Or what?

There are definitely ones that are better than others, and a couple of outright stinkers. However, it isn't that likely to be a problem unless your PCs all select ones that are dramatically better/worse than each other.

Alternatively, you could specifically limit the VMCs to the ones you want for thematic purposes.