PDA

View Full Version : Gun-fu kensei - can it be interesting for a solo game?

Heavenblade
2020-10-11, 10:03 AM
So Im about to play in a solo game, a situation where a group of commando soldiers (and Im their leader) gets stuck behind enemy line in a hostile desert. This is an "arabian nights" setting with guns and civil wars mashed into it. So my character is a bandit-turned elite soldier, who uses a gun (crossbow of some sort) and a sword in order to kick his enemies in the face multiple times per round.

The question is...is there a realistic chance Ill actually have fun with this character class, or would it become "Rinse and repeat the same routine till the enemy is dead" kind of situation?
If not, what primarly martial build do you think could pull off being versatile and interesting? I'd prefer not a battlemaster since Im already playing one in another game.

Mr Adventurer
2020-10-11, 12:14 PM
I've played a low-level Monk and seen a Kensei played at 7. They were highly enjoyable, so long as you can manage Ki points and short rests effectively.

You won't be able to choose a gun as a Kensei weapon sadly.

There are actual powder weapon style guns in the DMG, talk to your DM about this. (And more advanced guns too!)

Taking (or having an NPC with) 2 levels of Artificer will get you access to the Repeating Shot infusion which is essential for one-handed wielding of Reloading weapons.