PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Help/opinion on a blind character

LocoTaco
2020-10-11, 11:57 PM
Hello People!

I know playing a blind character is a subject that has been discussed multiple time before, but I got an idea that never got mentionned as far as I know so I wanted to know your opinion. Also, being blind in D&D is a MAJOR penalty so I wanted to hear if any of you have some ideas to help metigate the negative effects of blindness.

But, first and foremost, here's the situation:
I was looking through the old web enhancement archives and I ended up on Zceryll (a Vestige that can be found on the Class Chronicles) and I just love the concept of that being as well as its given abilities. However, what's important is the telepathy/mindsight ability. When I was reading, I got an idea and was wondering how it would work mechanically.

Here's the idea:
An Human that lost his ability to see and, in a desperate effort to regain it, got in contact with vestiges and eventually ended up bound to Zceryll.
Then, thanks to It, he became capable of pinpointing the exact location of any intelligent being within 100 feet of him without actually being able to "see" them.

I was woundering how much the blindness would affect him if he knows where his enemies are but cannot see them directly.

What are your thoughts?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-10-12, 12:20 AM
He'll still have a 50% miss chance on attack rolls due to them effectively being invisible to him. He also doesn't have line of sight to them for targeting spells or abilities that don't rely on an attack roll. So you can use area effects, or a Seeking ranged weapon, to get around that. Dragonfire Adept comes to mind for spammable area effects, otherwise using a ranged weapon is the way to go.

On top of that, you suffer a -2 penalty to AC, lose any Dex or Dodge bonuses to your AC, move at half speed, and take a -4 penalty on search checks and most Str- and Dex-based skill checks, per being blinded. However, "Characters who remain blinded for a long time grow accustomed to these drawbacks and can overcome some of them (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#blinded)." Which of those drawbacks you're able to overcome is entirely up to your DM.

Darg
2020-10-12, 12:41 AM
You wouldn't be able to know where obstacles lie. You might be thinking you are headed towards an enemy and hit a wall, or a golem, or an undead. You would need to find a way to get some sort of blindsense/sight to function even semi well. Blindfight would be an important feat. Combat Awareness with 3 combat form feats gets you an always on blindsight within 5 ft. Blindsight, 5-foot Radius feat is another option but requires 19 Wis.

Otherwise a Blindfold of True Darkness 9000gp gives blindsight out to 60' and immunity to gaze and sight attacks if you weren't already blind. Another option is bringing over the Pathfinder armor enhancement special ability Sensing.

liquidformat
2020-10-12, 11:15 AM
Here is an old thread based around the same question A Blind character? (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?593578-A-Blind-character)

Also here is a Daredevil Build I did for an E6 superhero builds thread:

Matthew Murdock (Daredevil)
Wildhunt Shifter Ranger 4( trade ride for tumble, handle animal for gather information, Champion of the Wild to pick up Weapon Finesse, Favored Enemy (Human), Two Weapon Combat Style)/Unarmed Swordsage 2
Abilities: Wis(19+)>Dex>Con>Str>Int>Cha
Skills: Concentration, max spot/listen, Sense Motive(once you get it at level 5), Survival, and Tumble, 5 in jump, 8 climb, 1 or 2 in swim, maybe hide and move silently if we have extra points to use...
Skill Tricks: Nimble Stand
Feats: Wildhunt Elite[L1], Two-Weapon Fighting [R2], Blind-Fighting[L3], Weapon Finesse[R4], Weapon Focus (Shadow Hand)[SS1], Blindsight 5-foot Radius[L6], Nemesis(Human)[Bo1], Shifter Ferocity[Bo2], Extra Shifter Trait (Dreamsight)[Bo3], Dreamsight Elite[Bo4], Extra Favored Enemy (Mutant)[Bo5], Nemesis (Mutant)[Bo6], Shadow Blade[Bo7], Ability Training (Con)[Bo8], Ability Advancement (Dex)[Bo9],Ability Training (Wis)[Bo10], Ability Training (Dex)[Bo11],Ability Advancement (Wis)[Bo12],Ability Advancement (Con)[Bo13], Adaptive Style[Bo14], Hear The Unseen[Bo15]
Maneuvers: Burning Brand, Flashing Sun, Sapphire Nightmare Blade, Emerald Razor, Cloak of Deception, Mighty Throw, Baffling Defense, Mountain Hammer
Stances: Child of Shadow, Island of Blades

Iconic Equipment: Rod of Ropes, Blindfold of True Darkness

ShurikVch
2020-10-12, 04:09 PM
Blindsight [Wild] feat (Masters of the Wild) allow you to spend daily use of Wild Shape to get Blindsight 120'

Keeper (Fiend Folio) is blind, but have Blindsight 200' (4 HD, LA: +3)

Morty_Jhones
2020-10-12, 07:45 PM
thematicaly its sounds good,

though i would point out that up to this point he has never had a healing spell of higher than 2rd level cast on him, since most of them would emedatly restore his sight as a side affect of the healing.....

to remaine Blind he would need a genetic resion to be blind. and would most probbly have acess to some sort of extra senory type of vishion like a limited tremorsence from echo location or nonstandard vishion.

its the one problem with 'disabled' charicters theres always some 'goody too shoes' cleric who comes along and casts that pesky 'restoation' spell on them and takes away there escuses

ShurikVch
2020-10-12, 07:57 PM
thematicaly its sounds good,

though i would point out that up to this point he has never had a healing spell of higher than 2rd level cast on him, since most of them would emedatly restore his sight as a side affect of the healing.....

to remaine Blind he would need a genetic resion to be blind. and would most probbly have acess to some sort of extra senory type of vishion like a limited tremorsence from echo location or nonstandard vishion.

its the one problem with 'disabled' charicters theres always some 'goody too shoes' cleric who comes along and casts that pesky 'restoation' spell on them and takes away there escuses
Well, for example, eyes could be removed with a Cursed Blade - thus, no healing until the Remove Curse of sufficient CL

On the other hand, Gtimlocks, Keepers, Unseelie Fey etc - are blind naturally, nothing to heal there...

Morty_Jhones
2020-10-12, 08:27 PM
true yess,

but they all have other ways of finding the target, for example gimlocks have a sonar that grants them a limited tremorsence, you use a defness spell to affectivly blind them. so what i said stilll stands.
natraly blind creatures have somthing elce that they see by.

also where is this cursed blade from, I tryed to look it up and the only thing i can find is an assassin spell and that dosn't do dlindness unless you roleplay an aimed strike to the eyes. I can find one from 5th......

ShurikVch
2020-10-12, 08:57 PM
true yess,

but they all have other ways of finding the target, for example gimlocks have a sonar that grants them a limited tremorsence, you use a defness spell to affectivly blind them. so what i said stilll stands.
natraly blind creatures have somthing elce that they see by.
While yes, their "somthing elce" is usually of pretty limited range
Keeper, apparently, have it longest of all playables - and it's just 200': barely enough for a Longbow

also where is this cursed blade from, I tryed to look it up and the only thing i can find is an assassin spell and that dosn't do dlindness unless you roleplay an aimed strike to the eyes. I can find one from 5th......
Yes, it's exactly that spell
If you need RAW mechanics, check the Snatch Trophy feat