PDA

View Full Version : Fun Build Options Artificer/Wizard/Ranger/Cleric Multiclass, Suggestions Welcome

Silpharon
2020-10-12, 01:18 AM
Hey guys,

First post, and first attempt at character building, so I've probably gotten myself in too deep. That said, I'm not the kinda guy that would be content with one (or two, or three) classes. Be kind. :)

Alright, I'm looking to have a build centered around either Spell Storing Item or Arcane Abeyance. Not sure why I love those two so much, but the idea seems slick. There will be a Paladin in my party, but no other healer, so I'd like to get some utility heal as well. I'm playing Mythic Odyssey of Theros, and Keranos is my deity (lightning and knowledge god).

Our DM is having us start with a stat block of 16, 15, 14, 13, 12, 10 our choice.

For both options, my background is Sage Astronomer (Neutral Good). I kinda liken him to a star gazer who draws his talents from understanding space/time through his profession.

================================================== ==========

Option 1: Samus meets Dr. Strange (Dex Attack)

Artificer 14, Armorer
Wizard 2, Divination
Cleric 2, Tempest
Ranger 2, No subclass

Human (Mark of Passage, Dex+2/Wis+1) - the DM may let me alter this to a Greek theme, mostly looking for the transportation spells (misty step, dimensional door, teleportation circle)
Feats/ASIs: War Caster, Sharpshooter, and Dex+2 in that order
Puts me at the following base stats end-game:
20 Dex, 16 Wis, 14 Con, 13 Int, 12 Cha, 10 Str
With the Headband of Intellect (Artificer gets it through Replicate Magic Item at level 10)
20 Dex, 16 Wis, 14 Con, 19 Int, 12 Cha, 10 Str

Skills: Arcana, History, Perception, Investigation, Stealth

How it's played in combat:

Up to 6th level spell slot through multiclassing

Use Infiltrator armor with Lightning Launcher on chest (or fist - I don't think this blocks holding something else)
Enhanced Weapon Infusion on weapon (+2 attack/dmg)
Enhanced Defense on armor (+2 AC)
Enhanced Arcane Focus on rod in-hand (+2 spell attack rolls)
AC with Infused Plate and Shield = 22

Standard Offense:
- Haste on concentration
- Faerie Fire on concentration from owl familiar
- Attack x3 (with attack bonus of +4 from enhanced weapon and fighting style on top of proficiency and advantage) for (2d6+5+2+10)+2x(1d6+5+2+10) = avg 65 lightning dmg/round
- Use bonus action for Healing Word, Misty Step, or maybe a Homunculus attack?

Standard Defense:
- Cure Wounds / Revivify through reaction on owl familiar (who I got from Wizard) or some other spell (bless maybe?)
- Use bonus action for Healing Word, Misty Step, or maybe a Homunculus attack?

The Stars Align (a.k.a. if I got a 20 on my Portent roll):
- Cast Lvl 6 Witch Bolt with portent crit, then use Tempest Cleric's Destructive Wrath to maximize the roll = 144 lightning damage guaranteed, no rolls
- I'm envisioning this as Keranos striking down my opponent through a massive lightning strike from my arcane focus

How it's played out of combat:

Goodberries aplenty! Supplement healing with daily spell slot dumps into Goodberry.
Artificer Jug infusion to drink sake wine with the Goodberries (or make acid to sell in vials)
Winged Boots to fly whenever necessary
Gem of Seeing infusion to get true sight (recall we get 7 total active infusions as the armorer subclass by level 14, and 5 attunements)
Use Mark of Passage's teleportation spells to do get places quickly

Pros/Cons as I see it:
- Solid martial, but not OP
- Fun burst, but not OP
- Fair amount of healing between Goodberry, Healing Word, Cure Wounds, and Revivify
- Lots of utility (Mark of Passage spells, high Dex sneakiness with Flash of Genious)
- Lots of sneak (Greater Invis, Boots/Cloak of Elvenkind as standby infusions)
- Not much in terms of support spells

Questions for those more experienced:
- Is it worth dropping Artificer 14 to 13, then getting Cleric to 3? This would lose Gem of Seeing for 7th level spell slot (for Witch Bolt crit of 168), Prayer of Healing, Warding Bond, Augury, Silence, and Spritual Weapon (upcasted as a better bonus action). I could also drop Ranger and pick up Fighter 1/Artificer 1 instead - keeping the +2 ranged weapon attack and Gem, but losing Goodberry and going back to Lvl 6 spell slot.
- Thematically, I'd like to think that the study of the stars has driven my character to the brink of madness, hence why his intelligence starts so low. At level 10 Artificer, he develops a Faraday cage in the Headband of Intellect to contain his thoughts and block the psychic interruptions of the gods. Is that still too weak to go this strat (and pick up the Mark of Passage spells)?

Option 2: Samus gets Stranger (Int Attack)

Artificer 11, Armorer
Wizard 2, Divination
Cleric 4, Tempest
Ranger 2, No subclass
Warlock 1, Hexblade

Human Variant (Int+1/Wis+1)
Feats/ASIs: War Caster, Int+1/Cha+1, Sharpshooter, and Int+2 in that order
20 Int, 16 Wis, 14 Con, 13 Dex, 13 Cha, 10 Str

Skills: Arcana, History, Perception, Investigation, Nature, Survival

Up to 7th level spell slot through multiclassing

Use Infiltrator armor with Lightning Launcher on chest (or fist - I don't think this blocks holding something else).
Enhanced Weapon Infusion on weapon (+2 attack/dmg)
Enhanced Defense on armor (+2 AC)
Enhanced Arcane Focus on rod in-hand (+2 spell attack rolls)
AC with Infused Plate and Shield = 22

Standard Offense:
- Haste on concentration
- Attack x3 (with attack bonus of +4 from enhanced weapon and fighting style on top of proficiency and advantage) for (2d6+5+2+10)+2x(1d6+5+2+10) = 65 avg lightning dmg/round
- Use bonus action for Healing Word or Spiritual Weapon

Hexblade Curse Offense:
- Haste on concentration
- Attack x3 (with attack bonus of +4 from enhanced weapon and fighting style on top of proficiency and advantage) for (2d6+5+2+6+10)+2x(1d6+5+2+6+10) = 83 avg lightning dmg/round

Standard Defense:
- Cure Wounds / Revivify through reaction on owl familiar (who I got from Wizard) or some other spell (bless maybe?)
- Warding Bond the melee fighters
- Silence the enemy casters

The Stars Align (a.k.a. if I got a 19/20 on my Portent roll AND Hexblade Curse):
- Cast Lvl 7 Witch Bolt with portent crit, then use Tempest Cleric's Destructive Wrath to maximize the roll = 174 lightning damage guaranteed, no rolls
- I'm envisioning this as Keranos striking down my opponent through a massive lightning strike from my arcane focus

For When The Stars Don't Align (a.k.a. just Hexblade Curse):
- Cast Lvl 7 Magic Missile for 1d4+1+6 per missile of 9 missiles = 85.5 avg dmg guaranteed

Goodberries aplenty! Supplement healing with daily spell slot dumps into Goodberry.
Artificer Jug infusion to drink sake wine with the Goodberries (or make acid to sell in vials)
Winged Boots to fly whenever necessary
Bag of Holding infusion to hold stuff...(recall we get 6 total infusions as the armorer subclass by level 14)
Less sneaky than other build, so just do good ability stuff with Int

Pros/Cons as I see it:
- Solid martial, maybe OP with Hexblade Curse?
- Fun burst, maybe OP with Hexblade Curse?
- Good amount of healing between Goodberry, Healing Word, Prayer of Healing, and Cure Wounds
- Not much utility (no teleportation whatsoever)
- Zilch sneak
- Poor initiation

- Is there any rationale for a Neutral Good character to make a Hexblade patron pact? Is this too far outside of rational character behavior? Could I say Keranos favors the ingenuity of making the pact in support of his goals?

Option 3: Boomerang Wielding Dr. Strange (Int Attack)

Artificer 7, Battle Smith
Wizard 10, Chronurgy
Cleric 1, Knowledge
Fighter 1, No subclass
Warlock 1, Hexblade

Human Variant (Int+1/Con+1)
Feats/ASIs: War Caster, Int+1/Cha+1, Sharpshooter, and Int+2 in that order
20 Int, 16 Con, 14 Dex, 13 Wis, 13 Cha, 10 Str

Skills: Arcana, History, Insight, Perception, Investigation, Nature (expert), Religion (expert)

Up to 8th level spell slot through multiclassing + 1 1st level Pact Magic slots

Use Half-Plate Armor for 17 AC base
Returning Weapon on dart fashioned into a boomerang (+1 attack/dmg)
Hat of Wizardry as a wizard spell focus (from XgtE common magic items)
AC with Shield = 19 (hopefully get magic armor/shield to boost this through campaign)

Standard Offense:
- Haste on concentration
- Help action from owl familiar or Steely Defender
- Attack x3 (with attack bonus of +3 from returning weapon and fighting style on top of proficiency and likely advantage) for 3x(1d4+5+1+10) = 55.5 avg dmg/round
- Use bonus action for Healing Word, Misty Step, or commanding Steely Defender

Boss Fight Offense:
- Haste on me from owl familiar through Arcane Abeyance (and fly away owl!)
- Hexblade Curse on target
- Hex for my concentration on target
- Help action from Steely Defender
- Attack x3 (with attack bonus of +3 from enhanced weapon and fighting style on top of proficiency and likely advantage) for 3x(1d4+1d6+5+1+6+10) = 84 avg dmg/round

Standard Defense:
- Cure Wounds through reaction on owl familiar or some other spell (bless maybe?)
- Counterspell and Banishment!
- Use Flash of Genius to help on saving throws alongside Chronal Shift

Nova Damage:
- Cast Lvl 8 Scorching Ray with Hexblade Curse and Hex for 3d6+6 per ray of 9 rays = 148.5 avg fire dmg

Artificer Jug infusion to drink sake wine (or make acid to sell in vials)
All those teleportation/transportation spells from Mark of Passage are available under Wizard.
Planar Binding for long-term buddy
Flash of Genius + Chronal Shift those ability checks!

Pros/Cons as I see it:
- Solid martial, maybe OP with Hexblade Curse?
- Fun burst, and not crit reliant
- Flash of Genius pairs nicely with Chronal Shift for all sorts of things
- Zilch sneak
- No goodberries, not much healing outside of Cure Wounds and Healing Word. I suppose I could pass an ability check to read a Revivify spell scroll if necessary (and on hand).

- Same Hexblade question as above
- Is it worth swapping Cleric 1 for Druid 1? I'd get Goodberries but lose two expert skills...seems not worth it, plus I'd need to wear Hide Armor.

Option 4: Boomerang Wielding Witcher who likes Dr. Strange (Int Attack)

Artificer 4, Battle Smith
Wizard 5, Divination
Cleric 2, Tempest
Ranger 9, Monster Slayer

Human Variant (Int+1/Dex+1)
Feats/ASIs: Observant Int+1, War Caster, Resilient Wis+1, Sharpshooter, and Int+2 in that order
20 Int, 16 Wis, 14 Con, 14 Dex, 12 Cha, 10 Str

Skills: Arcana, History, Survival, Perception, Medicine, Stealth

Up to 7th level spell slot through multiclassing

Use Breastplate Armor for 16 AC base
Returning Weapon on dart fashioned into a boomerang (+1 attack/dmg)
Hat of Wizardry as a wizard spell focus (from XgtE common magic items)
AC with Shield = 18 (hopefully get magic armor/shield to boost this through campaign)

Standard Offense:
- Haste on concentration
- Help action from owl familiar or Steely Defender
- Slayer's Prey for extra 1d6 per turn
- Attack x3 (with attack bonus of +3 from returning weapon and fighting style on top of proficiency and likely advantage) for (1d4+1d6+5+1+10)+2x(1d4+5+1+10) = 59 avg dmg/round

Boss Fight Offense:
- No different than standard offense? Conjure Animal Rush?

Standard Defense:
- Cure Wounds through reaction on owl familiar or some other spell (bless maybe?)
- Counterspell
- Use Slayer's Pray to help on saving throws

The Stars Align (a.k.a. if I got a 20 on my Portent roll):
- Cast Lvl 7 Lightning Arrow with crit and Destructive Wrath for 128 fixed lightning damage to target + 6d8 damage to target and neighbors = 155 avg lightning dmg

The Stars Really Align (a.k.a. if the DM is silly enough to give me the Javelin of Lightning):
- Cast Lvl 7 Lightning Arrow with crit, Destructive Wrath, and Javelin of Lightning:
-- 4d6 for the lightning bolt part of Javelin = 14 dmg avg
-- 2*(maxed out 8d8+4d6) = 176 fixed lightning damage (I do believe this is correct)
-- 6d8 damage to target and neighbors = 27 dmg avg
-- 217 avg lightning damage to target on one action... I think Keranos would be pleased

Be the passive perception master on the team.
Sneakiness, Silence, Pass without a Trace

Pros/Cons as I see it:
- Decent martial
- Fun burst, but only when the stars really align on Portent
- Gentle Repose a corpse until you find a Revivify spell scroll and a good Portent roll...

There you go - any thoughts? I've put too many into this, and need input from others. :)

Citadel97501
2020-10-12, 04:08 AM
Personally having a swarm of tiny servants, all casting spells is what I would do with something like this. One of the fun ones would be Spell Storing Item for Scorching Ray, or just a hopper full of rocks, and using something like Fog Cloud as the servants have Blindsight out to 30'.

Silpharon
2020-10-12, 08:24 AM
Personally having a swarm of tiny servants, all casting spells is what I would do with something like this. One of the fun ones would be Spell Storing Item for Scorching Ray, or just a hopper full of rocks, and using something like Fog Cloud as the servants have Blindsight out to 30'.

Nice idea with Fog Cloud! I've thought about the scorching ray option. I'd get 9 servants with a level 7 spell slot. Assuming 20 intelligence, I could have each use the SSI on the same round: 2d6*3*9=189 which is a nice burst to be sure. If I held elemental bane on the target, I think they'd take an extra 2d6 for each tiny servant (once per turn), taking it to 2d6*4*9=252 damage, which exceeds my lightning arrow potential damage.

Shatter would also work well for AOE bursts (and thematically to build a tunnel under a mountain).

BTW, what did you mean by hopper full of rocks?

Citadel97501
2020-11-04, 12:48 AM
Nice idea with Fog Cloud! I've thought about the scorching ray option. I'd get 9 servants with a level 7 spell slot. Assuming 20 intelligence, I could have each use the SSI on the same round: 2d6*3*9=189 which is a nice burst to be sure. If I held elemental bane on the target, I think they'd take an extra 2d6 for each tiny servant (once per turn), taking it to 2d6*4*9=252 damage, which exceeds my lightning arrow potential damage.

Shatter would also work well for AOE bursts (and thematically to build a tunnel under a mountain).

BTW, what did you mean by hopper full of rocks?

Sorry about the late reply, but the hopper full of rocks is for the Magic Stone cantrip, as the tiny servants get to throw 3 of the rocks per turn you use a bonus action using your spell casting attribute.

Silpharon
2020-11-05, 04:16 AM
Sorry about the late reply, but the hopper full of rocks is for the Magic Stone cantrip, as the tiny servants get to throw 3 of the rocks per turn you use a bonus action using your spell casting attribute.

Oh gotcha. Yeah that's good for 3 servants, but as far as I can tell the magic stones can't be stacked. There's a clause in the cantrip that prevents it.

Also, I later realized scorching ray was only on the Artillerist spell list, so it wouldn't help an Armorer. He does have shatter though, so combined with elemental bane, they can still do a ton of damage.

I've been looking through the leaked Armorer details. Level 15 looks awful tasty now for an infiltrator, I might have to rethink. Also Genie Warlock level 1 adds a consistent damage boost and permanent extradimensional space to hold my Haste Glyphs of Warding. :)