PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Hathran Alternative

Jervis
2020-10-12, 02:34 AM
Before anyone calls me out, i know that Hathran is OP garbage when paired with the Acorn of far travel. I just needed the ability to use Divine Spellslots for spells from a wizard's book. Rashemi Spirit Magic was the best vehicle for that. What i want to make is a magic addicted character that's out to get as many spells as possible using Archivist and Wizard spellbooks. The original plan was to make a Archivist Hathran with one wizard level and keep putting wizard spells higher level than i can cast with wizard slots into it, casting spells with Archivist slots using Rashemi Spirit Magic. Leadership is, as one might expect, banned in this game and so is any class or feat that requires it. So i'm having to find something new to do to keep this build on track.

What I've Considered

Normal Theurge: Improved Sigle Krau Illumian Wizard 1/Archivest 2/ Mystic Theurge x is an easy enough solution that doesn't loose much. It doesn't work to 20 without some weird cheese. I can get Archivist 19/ Wizard 15 Via Holt Warden 3 and Arcane Hirophant or Archivist 18/ Wizard 17 with Wild Runner if i'm willing to play Reincarnation Roulette until i get some flavor of Elf. This is for a organized play server so both of those are options. The later gets what i need but i can't say it's ideal for my concept.

Uncanny Forethought: I know there's some cheese with this that may or may not work. It could also work in conjunction with the above. The idea is that you can teeeeeeechnically burn slots from another class to cast spells from your book. At least thats my understanding. This requires CL pumping to a ridiculous degree though, with me needing some way to pump my CL from 1 to 17 minimum. Again a Theurge build fixes this up a bit but this is partially a challenge on my part to find a way to shove the entire wizard list onto a divine caster.

Ur-Priest: Easy way to get double 9s. Not that fitting with my character concept but not out of the question.

What isn't on the Table

Archivist/Erudite Spelllist cheese: You can't use ACFs and the like to get spells you wouldn't normally have access too. A Archivist only has access to domains and divine spell lists, no arcane disciple cheese. Erudite is similar, no divine spell cheese.

3rd party or homebrew: Probably self explanatory, but its not allowed. Anything that isn't that or Hathran is allowed. Dragon and Dungeon are both legal.

Megajank DM dependent rulings: This is a bit vague but id like to avoid anything where the build falls apart depending on a weird ruling, example would be Hathran in a game where Acorn of Fartravel doesn't let you count as being in your homeland. Cheese and jank is appreciated.

Id love to hear what people can suggest. Even if it doesn't work out i'm a massive cheese fan who loves finding new weird interactions in the system.

sreservoir
2020-10-12, 09:15 AM
Extremely li[bt]eral reading of Versatile Spellcaster?

Anthrowhale
2020-10-12, 09:27 AM
The Rules Compendium under Spontaneous Spellcasting has language forbidding casting a spell known from one class off the slots of another class. As far as I know, that nixes everything except Rashemi Spirit Magic which provides a specific exception.

A reasonable alternative is to just be a straight Archivist. There are many ways to make arcane spells divine. For example, Dragonblood Spell Pact between a Favored Soul and a Sorcerer could make any Sorcerer spell divine.

liquidformat
2020-10-12, 11:03 AM
If your character concept is 'magic addicted spellcaster' I think you might be able to use Geomancer instead of Hathran by leveraging Spell Versatility and drift could represent the corruption of his addiction.

Though less powerful going with Mystic Ranger with Shooting Star ACF and SotAO feat into Geomancer could be a decent route for this concept especially if you are aloud to leverage Magical Training instead of taking a wizard level.

Jervis
2020-10-13, 02:28 AM
If your character concept is 'magic addicted spellcaster' I think you might be able to use Geomancer instead of Hathran by leveraging Spell Versatility and drift could represent the corruption of his addiction.

Though less powerful going with Mystic Ranger with Shooting Star ACF and SotAO feat into Geomancer could be a decent route for this concept especially if you are aloud to leverage Magical Training instead of taking a wizard level.

This is a good point, though ive played a Sha'ir recently and i don't feel like fiddling with that again so soon for another build. And qualifying for Geomancer any other way is a pain. SotAO Mystic Ranger sounds fun but i'll be playing it past Lv 10 and that build kinda just sputters out then. I might be able to go Sha'ir Skypledged MotAO for a similar effect to what i'm going for but i'm trying to avoid that. All good advice though. Right now i'll probably just wrangle my way into a Theurge via last breath roulette unless i can find a stand in for spirit magic or a feat that counts as leadership without actually being leadership.

Rebel7284
2020-10-13, 03:33 AM
Wizard into Rainbow Servant could work for your concept. Doesn't take off until level 15 though. Also, RAW text truimps table, but it's notable that the table of spell progression for Rainbow Servant loses caster levels while the text does not.

The other way include:
- Eldritch Master from dragon magazine allows you to add two new class lists at levels 4 and 8, but it's meant for sorcerers so getting it to work for a prepared caster might be a pain. Also doesn't progress casting for the most part.

- Ask if Sword of the Arcane Order works on a cleric/archivist->Prestige Ranger

Darg
2020-10-13, 09:22 AM
By RAW, Magical Training lets you cast arcane spells without an additional class and gives you a spellbook. It also gives you the ability to prepare spells from your spellbook. It can also be read two ways: that you can prepare the spells using your spell slots, or it gives separate spell slots. Either way, because the spells are not from a separate class and spells in your spellbook are known spells you could use uncanny forethought or versatile spellcaster to cast spell those spells. Of course you would have to find a way to boost your arcane spellcaster level. Which means you could level as a sorcerer mystic theurge and gain access to the wizard's versatility. Or plain wizard would still let you access the spells from the magical training feat spellbook from your divine side.