PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Splitting Race into Heritage and Culture: PEACH

Steampunkette
2020-10-12, 09:46 AM
So... we know that Tasha's Cauldron is going to add optional rules to character creation that'll be nixing all the attribute penalties and apparently be allowing players to "Float" their racial ability score modifiers between different attributes (So Mountain Dwarves will be able to go +2 Dex +2 Charisma and become amazing rapier-wielding College of Valor Bards.)

But there's also the Ancestry and Culture book released by Arcanist Press, which keeps the racial attribute bonuses locked in place, and instead makes Skills, Weapon Proficiencies, and Learned Abilities like Stonecunning into Cultural Traits.

I decided to take it a step further, and create my own ruleset, in which attributes are also Cultural Traits, since where you grow up determines how strong you are, and what kind of information access you have ultimately determines how "Smart" you are (Standing on the shoulders of giants).

https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/GiKLq3Tvy1Mz

So far my players like it well enough, but I figure I should get as wide a perspective on it as possible, in case I decide to host more group games or work toward publishing (All the art would be stripped and replaced in the latter case, as it is not licensed)