PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Abusing Sanctum Spell

St Fan
2020-10-12, 11:54 AM
Hello. I was recently reviewing obscure metamagic feats to see which one can be interesting. Upon reading Sanctum Spell, I started to muse...

A sanctum spell has an effective spell level 1 higher than its normal level if cast in your sanctum (see below), but if not cast in the sanctum, the spell has an effective spell level 1 lower than normal. All effects dependent on spell level (including save DCs) are calculated according to the adjusted level. A sanctum spell uses a spell slot of the spell's normal level.

Okay, first of it’s a modifier to “effective spell level”, NOT to caster level (as I misread the first time). That’s quite different. It essentially means a spell cast in your sanctum with Sanctum Spell metamagic will be treated as one spell level higher. This means a +1 to DC and also a greater chance of overcoming defensive spells such as globe of invulnerability. Not bad, it’s essentially useful for trap spells you prepare in advance, like sepia snake sigil or explosive runes. There aren’t that many ways to increase save DC, it’s always a good addition to the arsenal.

Now, the spell level decreasing if you cast the spell outside your sanctum won’t matter much, since when adventuring away you just won’t prepare your spells with this metamagic, and...

Waaaaaaaait a minute!

Aren’t there some circumstances when lowering an effective spell level can be advantageous? And you can use this variant anywhere, not just in your sanctum... For the little price of a DC reduction, you might have spells normally barred by their level from certain options suddenly becoming available!

Mind you, the big limitation if that the spell needs to be cast for the modifier to apply. Otherwise, it is still prepared in its normal spell slot. For this reason, I seriously doubt this trick could allow you to prepare a potion with a fourth-level spell, or craft a wand with fifth-level spells. But there are certainly other options. Let’s see, which one, by RAW, would work, in your opinion?

1) The contingency spell...

You can place another spell upon your person so that it comes into effect under some condition you dictate when casting contingency.
The contingency spell and the companion spell are cast at the same time.
The 10-minute casting time is the minimum total for both castings; if the companion spell has a casting time longer than 10 minutes, use that instead.
The spell to be brought into effect by the contingency must be one that affects your person (feather fall, levitate, fly, teleport, and so forth) and be of a spell level no higher than one-third your caster level (rounded down, maximum 6th level).

A 7th-level spell modified by the feat counts as level 6, and it is definitely “cast” so the metamagic should apply.

2) The quick potion spell...

You transform the water in a flask so that it is capable of storing a spell in the manner of a potion. On your next turn, you or another spellcaster can cast a spell into the water, transforming the water into a potion of the appropriate type. Only spells suitable for making potions can be used in this way.

A 4th-level spell reduced to an effective level of 3 by the feat may categorize it as “suitable for making potions”... and again it is “cast” (on the water).

3) The mnemonic enhancer spell...

Retain: You retain any spell of 3rd level or lower that you had cast up to 1 round before you started casting the mnemonic enhancer.
This restores the previously cast spell to your mind.

This could apply to an already-cast 4th-level spell modified by Sanctum Spell.

4) The mage’s lucubration spell...

You instantly recall any one spell of 5th level or lower that you have used during the past 24 hours.
The spell must have been actually cast during that period.

Again, you could recall a 6th-level spell that was modified by Sanctum Spell this way.

5) The invoke magic spell...

You cause a flicker of magic to momentarily exist in a place where magic cannot normally function, such as within the area of an antimagic field, a dead magic area, or a null-magic plane.
This allows you the ability to cast a single spell of 4th level or lower, which then ends the spell's effect.

Combine this with Sanctum Spell, and you may cast a 5th-level spell in an antimagic field.

6) The Word of Creation feat: using the Exalted Power option to increase the caster level of a Good spell deals some nonlethal damage, depending on the spell level. Sanctum Spell reducing the effective level can potentially reduce said nonlethal damage.

Those are just a few of the uses I could conjure on top of my head. Do you see any other potential situation where lowering the effective spell level on casting can become interesting?

Venger
2020-10-12, 12:04 PM
Yes, there are many aside from the ones you have listed. Sanctum spell is very popular for this reason. In a general sense, it's useful in any heavily metamagic-focused build in order to lower the effective spell level to apply more goodies to it.

Anthrowhale
2020-10-12, 12:07 PM
Another is use after casting Mark of the Enlightened Soul / Touch of the Blackened Soul.

Piggy Knowles
2020-10-12, 12:10 PM
Yeah, this is a not too uncommon trick for getting more mileage out of anything that caps at a certain spell level, such as spell matrix or arcane fusion.

Venger
2020-10-12, 12:10 PM
Jamming stuff into arcane fusion is also a popular use of this feat.

St Fan
2020-10-12, 12:14 PM
Another is use after casting Mark of the Enlightened Soul / Touch of the Blackened Soul.

Oh boy, I thought you needed metamagic like Purify/Consecrate Spell or Corrupt Spell to add the Good/Evil descriptor to a spell, and here they are in simple spell form!

Yes, there are certainly plenty other options, but I can't help but feel that was never the intended use for the feat. :smallbiggrin:

St Fan
2020-10-12, 12:25 PM
Jamming stuff into arcane fusion is also a popular use of this feat.

I have my doubt about this option working by RAW. Arcane fusion works on spells known, not on spells cast. The need to have the Sanctum Spell metamagic added, given that sorcerers don't prepare spells, would invalidate it.

Bohandas
2020-10-12, 12:31 PM
Don't forget the Outlands. Higher level spells are interdicted first

Anthrowhale
2020-10-12, 12:57 PM
Yeah, this is a not too uncommon trick for getting more mileage out of anything that caps at a certain spell level, such as spell matrix or arcane fusion.
I'm skeptical about application with Arcane Fusion, because Arcane Fusion checks spell slot level, not spell level.

sreservoir
2020-10-12, 01:35 PM
2) The quick potion spell...

Well, this one in particular is questionable since level limits for potions apply to "apply to the spell’s higher spell level" (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#magicItemsandMetamagicSpells), which isn't favorable to sanctum spell level reduction whether you read it literally or infer something sensible.

But yes, sanctum spell ranks just below acorn of far travel as one of those effects that's pretty much only ever used in abusive interactions with tortured readings of rules...

Crake
2020-10-12, 07:00 PM
You need to remember that the sanctum effect applies upon casting the spell, so only things that involve checking the spell level after casting will apply. Arcane fusion for example checks the spell level before casting, however a spell storing weapon must have the spell cast into it, so the sanctum spell check will occur before the weapon tries to absorb the spell.

Magic items also check before spell cast (as the spell cast is part of the activation of the item, not the creation of the item), so the sanctum effect would apply on each activation of the item, all you'd end up with is an item that functions differently in one location as opposed to others.

Ruethgar
2020-10-12, 07:40 PM
You misread the feat. Sanctum spells are not lower level when cast outside the sanctum, they are lower level when not cast in the sanctum. That is a huge difference.

The common misreading sets a specific instance in which the spell level is lower. The correct reading sets a single instance in which the spell is not lower. That means that when you prepare a Sanctum Magic Missile, it is a 0 level spell in a first level slot. If you put it on a wand, it’s a 0 level. If you burn it for Arcane Strike it’s a +0d4 damage.

Crake
2020-10-12, 07:52 PM
You misread the feat. Sanctum spells are not lower level when cast outside the sanctum, they are lower level when not cast in the sanctum. That is a huge difference.

The common misreading sets a specific instance in which the spell level is lower. The correct reading sets a single instance in which the spell is not lower. That means that when you prepare a Sanctum Magic Missile, it is a 0 level spell in a first level slot. If you put it on a wand, it’s a 0 level. If you burn it for Arcane Strike it’s a +0d4 damage.

Yes, but the keywords are "when cast".

Ruethgar
2020-10-12, 08:20 PM
“If not cast in the sanctum” is not “when cast.” Every instance that is ‘not cast in the sanctum’ treats it as a level lower.

Crake
2020-10-12, 08:36 PM
“If not cast in the sanctum” is not “when cast.” Every instance that is ‘not cast in the sanctum’ treats it as a level lower.

It's written like that because "When cast in not the sanctum" isn't how the english language works.

Bohandas
2020-10-12, 09:00 PM
Yes, but the keywords are "when cast".

The RAW seems slightlyhazy on this matter. The relevant passage would seem to be:

"The act of working on the armor triggers the prepared spells, making them unavailable for casting during each day of the armor’s creation. (That is, those spell slots are expended from his currently prepared spells, just as if they had been cast.)"

Which woukd seem to imply that it is treated as its normal spell level. However, an argument could potentially be made with regard to how far "just as if they had been cast" extends.

woukdn't it be (1/2)d4, since level 0 is treated as level 1/2

Ruethgar
2020-10-12, 09:45 PM
woukdn't it be (1/2)d4, since level 0 is treated as level 1/2

The ‘zero is treated as half level’ is a very prevalent specific rule, but as far as I know not a general one. Unless it has that language, it defaults to being it’s actual level. Miser With Magic lacks it as well, because that feat wasn’t broken enough without infinite cantrips and sanctum firsts.

If someone can point to a general rule that says otherwise it’d be most helpful.

It's written like that because "When cast in not the sanctum" isn't how the english language works.
'When cast outside the sanctum' would have been much more limiting and less prone to abuse.

Darg
2020-10-13, 12:54 AM

What? Sanctum Magic Missile is a 1st level spell using a 1st level slot and is cast as a 1st level spell with the effect of a 0 level spell when not in your sanctum. Metamagic is cast at the level of the slot it requires. Metamagic only comes into effect after the cast, not prior. So burning it for Arcane Strike is 1d4 damage. Heighten spell is unique as it specifically calls out its rules change:

The heightened spell is as difficult to prepare and cast as a spell of its effective level. For example, a cleric could prepare hold person as a 4th-level spell (instead of a 2nd-level spell), and it would in all ways be treated as a 4th-level spell.

Unlike a maximized fireball which is cast as a 6th level spell while being a 3rd level spell, a 6th level heightened fireball is cast as a 6th level spell while being 6th level. A maximized sanctum fireball cast while not in the sanctum is a 3rd level spell cast as a 6th level spell with the effect of a 2nd level spell.

'When cast outside the sanctum' would have been much more limiting and less prone to abuse.

The feat tells you what happens when you cast in the sanctum and then it tells you what happens when you don't. Effective spell level is not the same as the effective level of a spell. A heightened spell is a higher level spell as it explicitly says it is. Sanctum spell doesn't say that at all. Which means, if interpreted as you say, it does nothing if not cast outside of the sanctum.

St Fan
2020-10-13, 05:19 AM
I won't join the above nitpicking discussion, to me the meaning of the feat is clear.

Good point about quick potion; that's why I asked for a RAW confirmation, there's always some little tidbit of rule than can escape you.

In the same vein, just to be clear, the trick wouldn't work against the level limit of imbue familiar with spell ability, since it transfers prepared spells, not yet cast, right?

Saintheart
2020-10-13, 07:02 AM
Also confers cost savings on crafting magic items. Magic item creation costs key off caster and spell level. Saves you at least a couple of grand on permanent magic items.

gijoemike
2020-10-13, 08:27 AM
I have always voted against the masses on this topic.

To me, a sanctum 1st level spell is a 1st level spell. Upon activation of the spell via casting the effects of the spell are -1 DC, -1 CL for duration/target, -1CL for spell pen checks, -1 spell level for spell turning, etc.

I don't let the arcane fusion trick work. A 4th Sanctum spell selected is still 4th level it just has a ton of minuses to stats. Those minuses make it very similar to a lower level spell but its a 4th lvl spell with minuses not an actual 3rd lvl spell.

That burning hands wand you just created is still a 1st level spell at FULL first level spell wand costs with faults built in. But if used in confines of the sanctum, extra DC to the save, extra dice of damage, etc. Outside the sanctum it acts like a 0 lvl casting of a spell. I would give 1 pt of fire damage.

The spirit of the feat is bonuses in the special sanctum, minuses outside. This whole concept of powerful combos and chain spells outside the sanctum flies the the face of feat. At my table, I NOPE all of it. Think of the flip side, Sanctum spell in the sanctum now PREVENTS arcane fusion, quick potion, contingency from working on the properly leveled spells. This way of thinking is clearly nonsense.

Vaern
2020-10-13, 09:19 AM

By your interpretation, there are no rules pertaining to the spell being cast outside of the sanctum or the spell being not cast outside of the sanctum. The metamagic only affects the level of the spell when cast and when not cast inside the sanctum. I should think, then, that in either case magic missile is effectively a 1st level spell in a 1st level slot.

Ruethgar
2020-10-13, 10:15 AM
By your interpretation, there are no rules pertaining to the spell being cast outside of the sanctum or the spell being not cast outside of the sanctum. The metamagic only affects the level of the spell when cast and when not cast inside the sanctum. I should think, then, that in either case magic missile is effectively a 1st level spell in a 1st level slot.

Actually, there are. The exceedingly broad “of not cast in the sanctum” includes if cast outside the sanctum.

Specific trumps general. Generally metamagic affects when cast, Sanctum lowers the effective level always.

Darg
2020-10-13, 11:41 AM
Actually, there are. The exceedingly broad “of not cast in the sanctum” includes if cast outside the sanctum.

Specific trumps general. Generally metamagic affects when cast, Sanctum lowers the effective level always.

Except "effective spell level" isn't defined other than "All effects dependent on spell level (including save DCs) are calculated according to the adjusted level." There is no conflict as effects can only come into existence after the cast. Effects are what the spell does. That means your interpretation makes a null change. It's just like how ECL is not CL. ECL only matters when calculating WBL or XP.

St Fan
2020-10-13, 05:37 PM
Also confers cost savings on crafting magic items. Magic item creation costs key off caster and spell level. Saves you at least a couple of grand on permanent magic items.

It doesn't work on magic items. As already mentioned, the spell need to be cast for the feat to affect it. Magic item creation doesn't involve casting a spell, the prepared spells are consumed during the process.

I don't expect any sane DM to allow it. And what an insane DM allow is of no interest.