PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A is there a way to up DC on items?

Thac0 Redeye
2020-10-12, 12:33 PM
I'm looking at enhancing my main melee weapon with disrupting (DMG). However we are already at 12th level and the save DC for the enhancement is only 14. Is there a way to create the enhancement with a higher save DC?

Biggus
2020-10-12, 01:17 PM
There's a (nonepic) feat on page 114 of the Epic Level Handbook which allows an item crafter to make items with higher DCs.

mabriss lethe
2020-10-12, 02:03 PM
Tome of Magic: Binder specific. Karsus grants Heavy Magic, which boosts the saves on the magic items you use by 2. It takes either all three of the vestige binding feats or a level 3 levels of Binder and the Improved Binding feat to get access to Heavy Magic.

animewatcha
2020-10-12, 11:40 PM
The feat is actually 'improved Bind Vestige'. Separate from Improved Binding. Blame WOTC.

The non-epic feat in the Epic level handbook would be main solution. However, count on the DM, upping the price of the item by an amount in accordance to the amount increased and the item itself. It is one thing to up the DC on a wand of fireball. It's is another to up the DC of weapons that have Sudden Stunning.

Ruethgar
2020-10-12, 11:51 PM
Also note that the Eberron Artisan and Magical Artisan feats can all benefit from Enhance Item, so only need it once even if you’re a super craftsman... would advice against stacking it like that though. Also probably shouldn’t go to a... what was it Havard’s Hall alternate to get NI repeats of Magical Artisan on your Enhance Item on your Magical Artisan.

mabriss lethe
2020-10-14, 09:02 PM
The feat is actually 'improved Bind Vestige'. Separate from Improved Binding. Blame WOTC.

The non-epic feat in the Epic level handbook would be main solution. However, count on the DM, upping the price of the item by an amount in accordance to the amount increased and the item itself. It is one thing to up the DC on a wand of fireball. It's is another to up the DC of weapons that have Sudden Stunning.

I was actually explaining how there are two paths to get Heavy magic. 1. to take all three of the vestige binding feats. I didn't name them off individually there, but that would be Bind Vestige, Improved Bind Vestige, and Practiced Binder. Or option 2: to take a level in the binder class and the Improved Binding feat, which allows the single level of binder to access level 2 vestiges (Karsus) OK. so, It had been a while since I cracked open ToM, so method 2 should be 3 levels of Binder and Improved Binding, not one level.

Thurbane
2020-10-14, 10:05 PM
Wand Mastery feat (ECS) increases the save DC of a wand by 2 (and also increases CL by 2).

Dorje Mastery feat (MoE) can increase the save DC of a Dorje by 2.

...not useful for weapon abilities, but still, for the sake of completeness.

Saintheart
2020-10-14, 10:56 PM
Also just for completeness - and particularly if you're using Eilservs School - magic staffs use the wielder's stats and feats for the purposes of save DCs against the spells contained in it, so anything that boosts your spells' DCs also boosts those of the spells contained in the staff.

animewatcha
2020-10-15, 01:53 AM
I was actually explaining how there are two paths to get Heavy magic. 1. to take all three of the vestige binding feats. I didn't name them off individually there, but that would be Bind Vestige, Improved Bind Vestige, and Practiced Binder. Or option 2: to take a level in the binder class and the Improved Binding feat, which allows the single level of binder to access level 2 vestiges (Karsus)

Unfortunately, Karsus is 3rd level. Tome of magic pg 37. Vestige 3rd level. Binding DC: 25. Special requirement yes. So you would need Improved Bind Vestige, not Improved Bind. Blame WOTC.

mabriss lethe
2020-10-15, 09:20 AM
Unfortunately, Karsus is 3rd level. Tome of magic pg 37. Vestige 3rd level. Binding DC: 25. Special requirement yes. So you would need Improved Bind Vestige, not Improved Bind. Blame WOTC.

You know what, that's perfectly fair. It's been a while since I cracked open ToM and had forgotten that Improved Bind Vestige allowed all the way up to third level vestiges. So correction, the second path requires 3 levels of Binder not one.